Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 08:27 PM
wayneparrish
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Kregg, I've got some pics I would be happy to share with you or anyone else . I tried to post one or two and this site doesn't like the files they are in. I'm not going to change them so e-mail me at [email protected] if you want them. Wayne
Old 08-05-2005, 08:09 AM
wayneparrish

UPDATE : The test flight may not come off this weekend ,6th 7th , as the graphics I received didn't match the red on the bird .I said I would not fly it till it was "complete" ,but if I don't this weekend it will be another couple of weeks as vacation week is coming up. Oh well,it'll fly when I get a chance. I will be posting weights probably this weekend. Wayne
Old 08-07-2005, 08:35 PM
wayneparrish

Well, The Gee Bee "didn't fly" this weekend. I guess I could definitely have burned a little more midnigt oil,BUT ,this is supposed to be a hobby that I enjoy,so why punish myself !! It is all wired ,balanced ,etc.. The only thing left to do is lace up the wiring in the fuselage to the wiring looms and apply the (finish) graphics when Kirby gets me the correct ones. Thats something I may expound on some. Dennis Kirby at Kirby graphics made the graphics,but he made a mistake and used the wrong red . He has busted his buns to get me the right ones and i will order my next set from him also. The balnce was dead on with the nose just starting to wnat to drop thru with NO EXTRA WEIGHT ADDED !! I planned where everything would go as soon as I could in the build and it sure pays off !! Well its off to vacation and I'll post when I get it flown after vacation. Thanks,Wayne
Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

HURRY<HURRY<< HURRY<, hey Wayne me and JAMES C. might ride down there to watch,,,
Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
wayneparrish

OK, Come on down !! E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll try my best to let you know far enough ahead so you can come. Wayne
Old 08-15-2005, 09:36 PM
wayneparrish

Well the graphics are done and just need to wait till I get time to flt her !! BY THE WAY , does anyone know anything about the 50 % R-2 that an outfit in Tenn. sells ? They go by the name G& L HOBBIES,but NEVER return e-mails !!! I would have a hard time sending anyone money that can't even respond to inquiries to their products. Sounds fishy !! Wayne
Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 PM
wayneparrish

FINALLY, The first flight is behind us on the new R-2 !!!! The a/c flew absolutely flawlessly and without a hitch !! This has got to be the BEST flying GB I have ever flown,and I've had about 10 r2-r1's thru the years from 1'5 scale to 33% scale. The takeoff was absolutely straight forward and required some up trim and 2 notches of rt rudder to fly hands off . It rolls ,loops,and other stuff as good s you would want a racer to do it. The knife edges are absolutely unreal ! It just lays on its side and hauls butt. Weight came out at the normal 36 lbs and the cg was in the middle of the recomended and works great. I put the throws at exactly what C/F said to do and it was perfect. I also put in 30 % expo and that felt good,although I will play around with it some more. I have a 3W ols stle 120cc on it and can't understand why anyone would want more power. I have dual batteries for the receiver with EMS/JOMAR battery backer and 1 1800 ma on the ignition. All three batteries are attached to the back of the motor bowl in cushioned straps and the a/c balanced perfect with no added weight. I did move the gear forward as reccomended and that definitely helps the c/g also. That along with the C.B.wheels are a plus for the cg. This GB is just like all the rest in that it HATES CROSS WINDS !!! The one flight I made on Saturday the wind was direct down the runway on takeoff ,and as soon as the wheels cleared the ground it switched to a direct-quartering cross wind and stayed that way ! I made several approaches to landing and was hoping the wnd would switch to a headwind . I finally commited to the landing and fought it thru the landing and roll-out till it stopped ,IN ONE PIECE and no scratches !!! YEA !!! Lets load up and go home so I can change my pants !! Am I satisfied with the a/c ?? I am 125 % satisfied and am thinking of building another one pretty soon as a backup . There are some things that I changed to make it easier with field assembly and longevity and if you're interested give me a e-mail and I will get some detailed pics to you as soon as possible.Thanks and I will post on the subsequent flights. Wayne [email protected]
Old 08-29-2005, 06:36 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Cool, can't wait to see the big bird fly,
Old 08-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Wayne,
That is great! Now I'm getting excited about this as my next project. I have only one question.....

If yours flies great with a old 120 do youy think it would fly and balance with a DA100? I have one sitting here ready to pull her around the sky. I'm sure the DA is lighter and is probably close in power, but surly less. Do you have anything else that can move forward inside the fuse? I sent you a e-mail for more pix.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thx,
Kregg
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 PM
wayneparrish

WHEW !! After all kinds of radio range problems ,THE GB FLIES AGAIN !!! If you're building or have built the Comp /Arf version,don't fly with the antenna inside the fuselage !!! The ONLY way we could get range was to put the receiver in the top of the fuse just behind the flying wire attach points and run the antenna thru a small hole drilled in the seam right above the receiver and run the wire to the top of the rudder.I use a JR pcm 10 and have never had this problem before ,BUT ,the carbon fiber in this bird really screws up the signal in the fuselage. That aside ,the aircraft flies absolutely FANTASTICALLY !!! I will be building another one for a local fellow in the next couple of weeks and incorporating some more refinements into an already GREAT ARCRAFT !! Composit /ARF has really done a great job in coming up with this bird. I am going to try and get some video taken on the next trip out ,so maybe I'll have some soon. Wayne
Old 09-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Hope_For_The_Best
My Feedback: (2)

Wayne,
Great post! Thanks for the report on radio range--I am much more encouraged now to finish mine. Good luck with video.
VR
Jack
Old 09-28-2005, 03:19 PM
wayneparrish

Great Jack, Get that bad boy finished and you will love the flight and looks of it ,GUARANTEED ! I should be starting on the new one any day now. It was ordered a few days ago and it won't take long to get here.On this one I am going to try and be very diligent about taking pictures of the construction and hopefully it will help out someone else. If you take your time and get it straight and solid it will be a great a/c . Wayne
Old 11-07-2005, 11:34 PM
kevka
My Feedback: (7)

I have to jump in here and give my 2 cents. I started my R2 on Oct 6 of 2004. This is NOT what I would call an ARF. There are soo many things they could have done to make this more of an ARF then they did. None the less, I still would have bought this one b/c mine came in at 31lbs. I also have an old style 3W120 but I had to add to the nose to balance. To this day it has not flown. I had a bad carb and needed replaced. It is nice to know about the antana on the outside. I am using all HS-5625's and a Futaba PCM. Yes I did move the landing gear. Let me know how the graphics turn out from Kirby's because I don't have anything for it yet. I did not add the cockpit in the back so I could keep the weight down. I want the lightest wing load as possible. I took tons of pics throughtout the building and kept it as simple as possible. I did not use the flying wires they put in the kit. The set up time would take WAY too long at the field. I just used 1/8th cable and can have the whole thing ready to go in just five minutes. It takes longer to fill the 50oz tank than put the wings on. I will say that I didn't like the rudder system at all. I ended up using two eye bolts screwed into the rudder where I put a pice of plywood for better support. The idea was to get the hinge of the pull-pull as close to the rudder hinge as possible. The way they set it up is about an inch forward of the hinge line. I will be getting the 3W back on it next week and maybe fly its first flight soon. Our runway is sod and 600ft. I hope to see some of your video soon.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 PM
kevka

few pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23524.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	350652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18655.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	350653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11553.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	350654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30021.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	350655  
Old 11-08-2005, 01:52 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Wow, that 3W-120 looks like a 48cc twin on the front of that fuse. Did you plan on using canister or in cowl mufflers on this bird? Also, was it fairly easy to relocate the main gear forward? Is that main gear made by Robart? Was it optional or included by comp-arf?
Sorry to pester with all the questions but, I happen to have a 3W-120 looking for a airframe to fly

Mike
Old 11-08-2005, 12:01 PM
kevka

The big cowl does make any engine look like a .40 size. I have standard mufflers and yes the relocation of the landing gear only took an hour. The landing gear is the optional gear you can order with the kit. If you build this bird they are a MUST!!! At 31lbs a 120 is plenty of power. You could even use a 80 twin but then you would have to add alot of nose weight.

Name:	Ax72976.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	350817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31255.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	350818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50051.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	350819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv61078.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	350820  
Old 11-12-2005, 11:21 PM
kevka

I got my new carb and will be putting it all back together soon. I just hope the weather holds out for a few more weeks so I can get it to the field. Down here in Alabama the weather has been in the high 70's and low 80's. T-shirt and shorts weather. But the wind has been picking up the last few days.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Evenbigger D
My Feedback: (1)

What tailwheel unit did you guys use? I can't seem to find a suitable one.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:55 AM
kevka

It is not a tail wheele it is actualy a nose wheele by Fluts. Check out your LHS.

Name:	Ay74025.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	353532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18115.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	353533  
Old 11-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Evenbigger D
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. The instructions are very weak.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 PM
40GeeBee

I think I have located some excellent wheels for this composite-arf 1/3 scale GB racer intead of the Sullivans, the web site is, www.mbs.com they are used on a mountain skate board, model number,
Jeep CJ-5, 7" pneumatic wheel and they are lighter, cheaper, a pair is only $40.00. and they come with ball bearings in the wheels. Check this out,
Paul Steiner
Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 PM
modifyit15
My Feedback: (27)

if some on still has the videos from this post please E-mail me @ [email protected] Subject Gee Bee
thank you
Old 07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
TorkRollN
My Feedback: (22)

I noticed this thread is kinda old.

Anybody out there working on a Composite-ARF Gee Bee ?

Barry Finck
Old 07-03-2007, 06:55 PM
kevka

I ended up selling mine last year.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
dirtydingus

I am also thinking of building a Composite-ARF Gee Bee. I would like some feedback on flying such a large fast plane. I fly at a field that is 600' paved with grass next to it about 700'. is this enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.