Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCV Engines

test
Old 02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
WRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 91-CD.It runs great. It will turn an MS 14X6 at 9170 rpm and pulls 8lb of thrust. It's going in a H9 P-47. I will let you know how it does.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Paul S.

Cliff have you given it the torture test yet? It looks good on the RCV web site. I would like a longer track record myself being new to this, but those who post here do seem satisfied so far. But I haven't seen yet where/ who they are retailed through.

Paul S.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:09 AM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

I haven't been able to fly the RCV since my last post here. There has been only small breaks in the weather. It seems like it is either snowing or we get an inversion that makes the visibility terrible. I have planes with skiis and could even try them on the Record Breaker with the RCV engine but they don't work when the runway has 16 inches of powder snow on it.

When the weather warms up a little I will typically put about eight or ten hours a week on the plane I am most interested in. I'll stay in touch as it gets some more time on it.

Take care, Cliff
Old 02-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Paul S.

Ha Ha yeh I guess the weather does effect things; sorry I forget. Here it's too windy during the cool months.

Paul
Old 03-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Woody 51, just saw your post from back in January. I've emailed you but in case you don't see that, I would appreciate the information you offered to pass on.
Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 02:08 AM
RCV Engines

Hi all

I just noticed this thread so thought I would put my twopence worth in.

RCV have been producing engines now since 1997. The SP series started to be produced in 2000, whilst the 58CD came out in 2002 and the 91CD in early 2004. They are newer than some engines, however RCV do have a fair pedigree as the company is also involved in larger scale engine development. We also operate a continous improvement policy and with 100% individual engine testing now, issues are very rare.

I noticed the comment about a problem crown wheel etc. Originally in 2000 the RCV60SP were not helical cut and we changed this in about 2001. The reason for this change was to reduce noise, there was never an issue with gear failure. We have no engineer we are working with in Australia (so I would be interested Woody, if you could pass this on to your contact). The only thing I can possibly think is that in 2002 we recalled 1 batch of 60SPs as the flame hardening treatment failed. The engines were recalled, replaced and I can confidently say we have no other issues.

I hope this clears things up.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 AM
RCV Engines

Sorry I forgot to reply to Paul. You can see a list of our US dealers on our dealer locator
[link=http://www.rcvengines.com/stockists_usa.htm]www.rcvengines.com/stockists_usa.htm [/link]
Alternatively you can order engines online via our secure [link=http://www.rcvengines.com/site2/acatalog]webshop[/link] (delivery cost $15 from the UK and takes about 3 working days)
We do have a US service centre too, so if you ever need a repair or warranty work this can be carried out easily.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Hey Woody, what's going on??? The lady from RCV says there's no engineer in Australia working in conjunction with RCV to solve a (what appears to be) non existent problem.

I emailed the guy whose name you gave me, but he hasn't come back to me.

Can you clear this up for me.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

Woody, it looks to me like the guy who said he's working with RCV to find a fix for this "problem" might be big timing it. No response from him, and his claim has been discredited by RCV.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

I am going to be putting the .91CD in my CMP Spit. It will be about 11.5lbs. with the air retracts. Just wondering how well it will pull this plane around? Thanks Shane
Old 04-24-2006, 01:57 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Pit Viper

The 91CD should certainly be able to pull the CMP Spit around the sky as this is the engine they used to test the prototype. You can see this engine / plane combination on a video clip on our website [link=http://www.rcvengines.com/gallery/rcv_gallery_video.htm]http://www.rcvengines.com/gallery/rcv_gallery_video.htm [/link] , just click on the spitfire with soundtrack video clip.

What I would say though, is that many modellers prefer to overpower kits to give some additional 'oomph' when needed. If you are confident in your skills the 91CD would be fine, however a 120 size engine could give you the extra power needed to get out of a tricky situation.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-26-2006, 12:26 PM
p61widowrc
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys,
I've read all the threads on the RCV engines and I guess I'm going to jump in with both feet. I purchase a VQ P61 off ebay a while back and I've been trying to decide on what make and size of engines to put on her. I went to Toledo the first week of April with my mine somewhat set on getting the RCV 120-SP engines to mount, but after talking to the people from KMP, they said the RCV 90-SP was big enough since it can swing the larger diameter and higher pitch props. So I have two on the way. I'm getting 16 in / 14 pitch props to basically run the engines and start out that way. As far as scale goes, the RCV 90-SP engines can swing a 13 in / 13 pitch 4 blade, but we are a long ways from that yet. Since the engines are low RPM, you can't run say a 16 in diameter 8 pitch prop because it will over rev. The guy from KMP said if you watch your RPM and keep it below I think 5500 RPM, you can run, but not wide open. Anyway, I'm waiting to get my engines to see how they mount, fit, look, run etc. We will see.
Bob
Old 04-27-2006, 02:36 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Bob

I am pleased to hear you have decided to opt for a couple of 90SP engines, I am sure you will be happy with your choice.

With regard to props, the 16x14 should be fine for running in. The 13x13 4-bladed prop though is actually too small for the 90SP (this is the size recommended for the 60SP). A 15.5x12 would be a better choice of 4-bladed prop.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-27-2006, 12:29 PM
p61widowrc

Thanks Laurenne,
Who would be a supplier for the 4 blade 15.5 x 12 and also is there a spinner for this 4 blade. Sometimes the accessories are harder to get than the main item.

Take care,
Bob
Old 04-27-2006, 03:38 PM
rc-sport

I bought my prop from Central Hobbies. Call Dave Brown products he'll cut the spinner to your needs. Good quality too.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:39 AM
RCV Engines

You can also get this size prop from www.apcprop.com (the manufacturers). With regard to spinners if Dave Brown Products can't help you out, you can also obtain a spinner from Tru Turn. www.tru-turn.com
I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-30-2006, 07:01 PM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

I have just bought a 120sp and started bench running it. CHecked how many turns out needle was, but left it alone for first runs. I modified the starter hex key to be ball ended to allow some angle with starter bolt head, and fixed the adapter to a ducted fan starter wand I already had. This has a cone ended fitting (like those used to start helicopters), so you can use a normal spinner starter rubber in your starter motor. We also apply a little vaseline to the end to reduce wear on the bolt head. Down side of this starting method is it always needs at least 2 people....
Anyway, works a treat - get it primed, start it spinning, apply plug, it runs, easy as that, always starts first try. First few runs we stopped it as soon as it got smelly hot, well before 15mins as in book. Initially very obvious gear feel as you turn it, but by 3rd tank much improved, getting smoother each run, and compression is great. It is spitting a lot of oil out the breather, probably due to ring not bedded in yet, and I am using a fuel on hand - 15% Klotz, 3% castor, 10% nitro, so oil is a bit high, but I doubt it will do any harm. Will go to 15% total oil after a couple more tanks. Prop is APC 18x12 2B.
After a few more runs I propose to turn the cylinder casing to give me a side start and the exhaust straight down, so it will go out the cooling air exit - I would have thought this would be a preferred set up for scale use - I doubt anybody would want to do straight down starts behind the prop due to loads on u/c? Planned end use is in an ESM Sea Fury, using a 15.5 x 12 4B Bolly prop, around 12lbs.
jp
Old 05-02-2006, 03:13 AM
RCV Engines

Hi jp

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your run in and starting procedure. As you are finding the RCV SP engines do require some running in and will greatly improve during this process.

Thanks for your comments on configuration, I will certainly pass this on.

I look forward to hearing how your plane / engine combination flies......if you take any photos I would love to receive them.

best regards
Laurenne
Old 05-04-2006, 12:42 PM
p61widowrc

Laurenne,
I've been told that each engine has been started and run for a period of time. Can you tell me how long that time period is? I assume this start up period is just to make sure that everything turns and works like it is suppose to. Does this mean the engine comes with a glow plug or are they pulled once the test is over? I'm still looking forward to getting my engines. I understand there has been an increase in the number of engines sold and that this has caused a longer length of time in getting the engines shipped. Its not one of those things that if I had them, the plane would fly this week end, but I would just like to get my hands on them. Patience is a virtue, hopefully I have some.
Take care,
Bob
Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 AM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

Bob,
Mine did not come with a plug , but did include start adapter. Difficult to tell its been run, until you find the screw head/washer marks on the mounting holes - other than that there is no sign, it was extremely clean, minimal oil film. From the stiffness of mine I would guess factory run is brief, and can be ignored from the run-in point of view. Took a little persauding to get my starter to turn it over, but once turning and adding plug lighter it fired right away. Has never needed a second start attempt yet. More bench running this weekend.....
jp
Old 05-05-2006, 02:24 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Bob

JP is right. All RCV engines are run at our UK factory for a brief time (5 - 10 mins) prior to despatch. This ensures that the gears, timing etc are set up correctly. The RCV design incorporates close fitting components, therefore your engine will benefit from extended running in 1 - 2 hours. During this time power will increase and the engine will become smoother.

Since May 1st 2006, all RCV engines leaving the factory now come complete with a glow plug (& on the SP series we also include the starting adapter). These components are now included in the slightly higher price, however prior to this they were available to purchase as extras.

With regard to getting the engines out there, we still manage to despatch most engines within a couple of days of receiving an order, however we did run out of RCV90SP engines last month. I am pleased to say they are now back in stock but this did cause (& is still causing) some delays.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 05-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Pit-Viper 1

My .91CD is on it's way .. Do they come with mufflers or are these purchased seperately? What pipes are good replacements for this motor? Did'nt realize the starter adapters are'nt included with these models, guess i better call and see if they can put it in with my order.

Shane
Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
RCV Engines

Hello Shane,

Your RCV91CD engine will come complete with a muffler. If you need a replacement we can supply you with one or our exhaust pipes are of a standard size (m11 x 0.75 - RCV91CD) thereofre you can pick up a pipe suitable for another 4 stroke engine e.g.OS. We do not supply a starter for the CD range of engines, as they are started in the conventional way.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Angela Peskett
PCV Engines Ltd
Old 05-08-2006, 09:04 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Are RCV engines good for 3D planes? I have a Dave Patrick Models Ultimate that I would like the best power out of.

Now if only you guys had four strokes for 35-40% planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.