RCV Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
p61widowrc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCV Engines

Everyone,
Just to let you know I recieved my two RCV 90SP engines yesterday. Everything looks good. I see there is a backplate to put on the inside of the firewall. They do not recommend mounting the engines with wood screws or self tappers. I guess blind nuts might be ok, but with the backplate on there and I would try for locking nuts on the inside. All the information I have been reading points to breaking the engines in properly and you wind up with an easy starting, good running engine. One thing for sure, I have plenty of room inside the cowls of the VQ P-61. Its like set the engine inside the cowl and "woller it around a bit." There should be plently of room to do some ducting of air if that becomes necessary. Now I can at least start to look at putting the "Black Widow" together. Still need to get the landing gear decided on. Guys, this is fun!
Take care all,
Bob
Old 05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
houseman8556

I have an RCV 60 sp and I have just been flying with it 2night but I have a problem its starting to over heat a bit 2 much all of a sudden. When I mean over heat I mean over heat[X(].
After a 6 min run the engine is red hot, the carbs red hot, and the crank case is red hot, I have never had this befor?. The thing is in February I crashed this engine into the ground from 300ft+ broke the prop when I cleaned it up it seemed Ok no rattle or play in any part! of the engine.
But as I ran the engine it get's hot 2 hot I think well for the carb and the crank case to get hot so you can't touch it, thats hot.

do you think I've naked the bearings up in the cylinder/crank?[:@]
Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

You've definately got something wrong in there!.. My advise is to send it in to RCV and have them look at it, even if it's not covered under warranty I would rather spend the money and have it done right. Good luck..

Well I finally got about 20-30 min. of run in on the .91CD, This motor is eveything it's been cracked up to be. It's a fun motor, the way it starts is awesome, nice and slow like it's going to stop so you keep waiting and it just gets faster and faster until it gets up too speed. For my first start I took "quality control" claims into consideration. So no needle adj. at all from box. Bolted it up and started it and it ran like a champ. My buddy who is a Saito fan, "as am I" was quick to jump at the "what if's" or "I'm not sure's". hehe By the time the second session ended he was talking about a future purchase maybe involving RCV. That unique --garble-pop-- sound on a slightly rich setting is great..

Now I've got a question, has anyone run a 3-blade on this motor and what size. If I were to use a 3-blade for run-in and general use which would you recommend? I usually always break in a motor according to the way it will be run the majority of the time. I plan to use a APC 3-blade but don't have much experience with these in general. The Warbird's Over The Rockies will be here in june. Won't be to scale by then but a few little things like the prop and such will pop out a little. Any info. would be great.. Thanks. Shane
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Well I got some time on the motor today. Lots of fun to try to hand start if you don't mind the challange, it's all good.. WOW what a strong runner, it's pulls like my buddy's 1.25 saito. Can't wait to get it in the air. I used a 14" 3-blade to start run in and will go to a 2-blade in the next couple tanks. Going to run a three mostly for scale, not sure a 4-blade would work. It's going on the CMP.90 SpitFire and should weight in at about 10.5lbs. Great potential in a small package.. Will keep you posted

Anyway here is a link if you are interested, enjoy..
http://colorado-rc.com/rcu/rcv91cd1.mpg
http://colorado-rc.com/rcu/rcv91cd2.mpg

Shane
Old 05-11-2006, 09:01 AM
RCV Engines

Hello Airbornesgi,

In answer to your question..... I believe your David Patrick 3D Ultimate will take a .40-.59 Glow engine in which case the RCV58CD being equivilent to a normal 52-60 4 stroke engine or 40-46 2 stroke engine should be fine.

Many thanks

Angela peskett
Old 05-12-2006, 07:53 AM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

I am building a Don Smith B-24 and am interested in switching from my saito's to rcv .91 cd's. The only reason is the saito's stick out about 3/16th of an inch. I also am wondering if the .91 cd's will turn a 14x7 three bladed prop and the approx r.p.m. . Anyone have this info?

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Memphisbelle,

I am still running in my .91CD with that very prop. Have'nt tuned it in enough for top rpm but was getting around 7100rpm at a rich setting, maybe get another 500-800 on a good tune. Oh yeah I was using MA 14x7 3bld. Check the video I posted a few posts back, #2 video. Right click and save.. Very good motor, can't wait to finish this gallon to see what its got.. Very leaky out the front bearing though, but I've ready that this will subside as you run it more. It's getting better, just want it to stop before I put it in the Spit..

Shane
Old 05-13-2006, 12:21 PM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

Just to chime in here:

I have 4 strokes from most manufacturers. The RCV 91 CD is the most reliable, best running, and smoothest engine out of the crop.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Pit-Viper 1

I agree, other than not having any other motor than this one to go from. But I've run it from 55*F to about 80*F outside with little to no changes on the needles. One thing I've noticed is that it isn't really snappy on initial run in's but it does improve with almost every tank. Also, the gear noise after 4 tanks (1 1/2hrs.) is very low and you can really start to hear the unique sound of this motor. Everybody who hears it says it sounds alot like a real motor. Very pleased. What runtimes are people getting from the .91cd/tank size? Later

Shane
Old 05-14-2006, 07:21 AM
p61widowrc
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Everyone,
I have now received the two RCV 90-SP engines that I ordered at Toledo in early April. Everything looks good. Now the task is to put together a test stand to break the engines in on. I've showed some of the guys in the club an engine just for show and tell. They all want to hear it run. So do I as far as that's concerned. The starter adapter I got has the square hex and I thought I would cut a 5 mm piece off the one you get in the set and use it, but I can't get the piece out of the adapter. There is one allen set screw that appears to be holding it, but there seems to be more that just that. So for the time being I'm going to stick with the square or get a heli starter adapter. Anyway that's something to be looked into down the road. I also got the ni-starter adapter cap to go on the glow plug. Once they are put on, is there a way of getting them off? This is the first time I've had one and I'm surprised that I can just pull it off. Is there a trick to getting the cap to release? If anyone has an answer, I would sure like to know. So the next thing is to break the engines in, Oh that's right, I haven't got my props yet.
Take care,
Bob
Old 05-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MEMPHISBELLE

I am building a Don Smith B-24 and am interested in switching from my saito's to rcv .91 cd's. The only reason is the saito's stick out about 3/16th of an inch. I also am wondering if the .91 cd's will turn a 14x7 three bladed prop and the approx r.p.m. . Anyone have this info?

MEMPHISBELLE
Wes,

Check back in this thread, RCVEngines lists some prop information in Post #39. He actually suggests a 15.5X12. I haven't seen RCVEngines post an RPM figure, but others suggest something like 6000 RPM. That would equate to a firing rate of 12000/minute, and even that sounds a little high to me.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 05-15-2006, 06:33 AM
RCV Engines

Hi

With regard to 3-bladed prop sizes, the 15.5 x 12 3-bladed prop is for our RCV90SP (not the RCV91CD). The SP series engines all have 2:1 reduction gear output so pull larger props at half the speed. The CD series engines use similar size props to conventional 4-strokes, so a 13x7 or 14x7 would be suitable.
On the SP series we generally recommend you keep the prop rpm under 5500.

With regard to starting, we don't recommend the use of a ball end on the starter as we find this wears the screw too quickly. Also, the starting adapters are not designed to be disassembled so you wouldn't be able to split this.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

I would prefer to use a conventional starter on my RCV 91 engines. Is there a problem w/starting w/a conventional starter?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:15 PM
MEMPHISBELLE

How long of a break in is required the cd engines? I have a fellow club member who has a skyshark 109 at 9.5 lbs and the plane will not come off the ground. He is taking it out for now and putting in another plane to see how it works in a lighter plane. I was thinking he is not getting max r.p.m.. Any thoughts.

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 05-25-2006, 06:38 AM
rc-sport

IHave a dumb question....does he have the prop installed facing the right way?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 AM
saramos

What size CD engine and prop? I would think that the 91 would be able to handle 9.5 lbs.

Scott
Old 05-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

I have a fellow club member who has a skyshark 109 at 9.5 lbs and the plane will not come off the ground.
"That Caint Be Good!", as the kid in the Dodge commercials says!

I am assembling a Skyshark Edge/ RCV CD 91. I know that it will not be 3D capable, but I hoped that it would at least takeoff and fly some basic IMAC manuvers. The altitude above sea level in WY is about 5,000' above that of IL, so I may be in a world of hurt!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:57 PM
MEMPHISBELLE

The prop is not on backwards( I have seen that). He is using a 14x6 apc on the .91 cd. I will be picking the engine up the weekend from him to make some of my own tests( on a stand). I am now second guessing 4 of these in my liberator. The final weight should be around 45 lbs.

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Wes, I have that last takeoff attempt on video. I think you'd agree it was not a fair test, I think it'll lift off just fine, given a takeoff run of any length.

I found old video of your B17 and that Midwest T6. I have them on a CD, will stop by with it this weekend.

Dave Olson
Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 PM
MEMPHISBELLE

So should I sell the saito's and buy the rcv's. It sure would make the liberator look alot better. I should be home all weekend. I am going to pick up the rcv from kerry at the field saturday maybe I will see you then.

Wes
Old 05-26-2006, 04:41 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Guys

In answer to a few questions

Bill - yes you can start the CD series conventionally (only the SP series uses behind the prop starting, and even these can be started from the front.......which is not advised by RCV due to safety reasons)

Memphis Belle - Your friends engine certainly doesn't sound right. It should easily be able to power a 9.5lb model. When you see your friend &/or his engine, ask him to contact me with the rpm figures he is getting on the 14x6. Also I would like to know the fuel he is using. Break-in takes up to an hour, however power will continue to increase the more the engine runs. Within an hour though your friend should be getting over 9000 rpm at least. You can check out a couple of video clips on our website with the 91CD engines powering 12lb hurricanes and spitfires (http://www.rcvengines.com/gallery/rcv_gallery_video.htm) . With regard to your liberator 4 x 91CDs should be perfect for this.

Bob - I have checked out the Skyshark Edge, and it shouldn't have any problems powering that plane with basic IMAC manouvers.

I hope this helps,
Cheers
Laurenne
Old 05-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Houseman8556, RCV may have introduced their new warranty just in time for you. Apparently under a newly introduced warranty you never pay more than 50% of the cost of a new engine, no matter how badly it's damaged. That's not a bad deal if you drive it in from up high and total it.

Laurenne, why do RCV recommend not starting the SP's from in front? It seems to me to be just like any other engine except that it turns slower with more torque, and neither seems like enough of a reason to start exclusively from behind the engine.

I haven't tried in front starting yet because I don't have the engines in the aircraft with the domed prop hubs fitted, but I am curious about it.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:34 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Starting the SP series from the front puts a very heavy load on the gears since you're driving the crankshaft twice as fast as you're turning the prop, a 1 to 2 overdrive, if you will. Starting them using the wand is instantaneous, safe and easy.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 AM
RCV Engines

Torque wrench is right, starting the engine from the front is easy and safe. You can start the engine from the front and it will not harm the engine, however we always recommend starting from behind for safety reasons. The 120SP can pull a 20x12 prop so working around this can obviously be dangerous.

I hope this clears things up
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
WRM

I have a 91 CD it has a gear noise that started after 5 tanks of fuel is this normal ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.