Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Behotec JB165 - idle flameout troubleshooting help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Behotec JB165 - idle flameout troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Moebius44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Karsten022
Hello Greg,

please look at the following Thing:

I believe you have a Hornet III ECU. Please check the trim way on the Transmitter. If the way is to small and you push the stick to much to the idle direction you could turn off the Turbine.

If you go into the test menu you can see the way of the Transmitter in Milliseconds ( 0,8 to 1.9 MS) and in a number (1500 to 7500).
The difference of that number between Turbine off and Idle should be more than 600. If you push the stick to hard to idle the direction maybee that difference goes under 500 and this would turn off the turbine. I increase in my Transmitter the trim way to the Maximum what is possible and so I get a difference of 1000.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Best regards,
Karsten
Can you expand on how you came to understand that a 600+ step difference is the minimum value?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Karsten022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moebius44
Can you expand on how you came to understand that a 600+ step difference is the minimum value?

Thanks!
Hello,

That's what Alfred Frank from www.Frankturbine.com found out. There were always problems with turbine shut offs with Futaba Transmitters in flight. When these turbines, together with the ECU and the same pump, were installed in models with Graupner transmitters, this error did not occur. Futaba seems to have a lower trim path by default. Then the recommendation came to set the value to at least 600.

Best regards,
Karsten
Old 07-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Moebius44

Hello,

That's what Alfred Frank from www.Frankturbine.com found out. There were always problems with turbine shut offs with Futaba Transmitters in flight. When these turbines, together with the ECU and the same pump, were installed in models with Graupner transmitters, this error did not occur. Futaba seems to have a lower trim path by default. Then the recommendation came to set the value to at least 600.

Best regards,
Karsten
Thank you kindly Karsten022.

I too am experiencing puffing events - after spooling down and idle has been established. It can can lead to a immediate flameout. The error code in my case is MINIMUM RPM DROPPED.

What I've learned recently; at around the 5hr mark the fuel pump gear assemblies can exhibit run-in characteristics (gradual pressure reduction) that can cause flameout generating the above error code. The suggestion is to slightly raise Start Pump Voltage (SPV) to compensate for gear wear / resulting reduced fuel pressure. However, I was told by someone else that the SPV is not in-play - once the turbine is running off the KERO fuel line / valve (FYI my system is KERO / KERO). Anyone know definitely?

Note: I recently reduced SPV from the default 0.4V to 0.38V to reduce wet start volume. I will be reversing this to see if the puffing anomaly goes away!

Last edited by Moebius44; 07-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Karsten022

That is right - the SPV has noting to do with your flame out. It is normal that it is possible to reduce the value if the turbine runs a while because the pump in now going better.

The message MINIMUM RPM DROPPED could be 2 faults:
1. The tank tubes are to small --> the negative pressure in the tanks is to high. For tubines over 160 N the inner Diameter should be 3,5 to 4 mm
2. The deceleration times in the ECU are to low. If it is possible to open Menu 9 go to 9.10 an 9.11 and increase the values.
If it is not possible to open Menu 9 go to Menu 1.3 and change to middle or slow.

Best regards,
Karsten
Old 07-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Moebius44

That is right - the SPV has noting to do with your flame out. It is normal that it is possible to reduce the value if the turbine runs a while because the pump in now going better.

The message MINIMUM RPM DROPPED could be 2 faults:
1. The tank tubes are to small --> the negative pressure in the tanks is to high. For tubines over 160 N the inner Diameter should be 3,5 to 4 mm
2. The deceleration times in the ECU are to low. If it is possible to open Menu 9 go to 9.10 an 9.11 and increase the values.
If it is not possible to open Menu 9 go to Menu 1.3 and change to middle or slow.

Best regards,
Karsten
Thanks, system employs 4mm ID fuel lines. It appears ACC / DEC set to Medium has solved the issue sufficiently to fly. Here's what I discovered today:
- Throttle relearn (733 to 753 steps): no change
- Replace Burner control valve (possible leak source): no change
- ACC / DEC lowered from Fast to Medium: very light / infrequent puff events
- ACC / DEC lowered from Medium to Slow: No puff events
- ACC / DEC raised from Slow to Medium: 3 run-ups, imperceptible puff on first run-up's return to idle, none in 2nd, 3rd

I think I'll stick with Medium and fly without going all the way to idle (no flight maneuvering requirement). Learning how to employ vectored thrust high alpha) during landing, so will need some throttle anyways until over the numbers.

Thanks, if I was just a little more knowledgeable, I could have avoided the trip to the Factory :^)
Old 08-15-2019, 12:11 AM
[email protected]

Im 2 issues in my behotec jb180 turbine, sometimes during taxing when i increase throttle from idle the turbine goes in to puffs and turbine flames out with msg, "minimum rpm dropped". Second problem is that when i do high speed pass and then go vertical, after couple of seconds in vertical my turbine starts to lose rpm, infact once i thought the turbine has flammed out coz the rpm went pretty low though i had throttle stick to almost 70%, however when I leveled out the plane the rom gradually started to increase reach the correct rpm at 70% throttle. Is this due to weak fuel pump.. Or. Anything. Else?
Old 08-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Moebius44

This is a known issue. Behotec knows there is an issue.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:18 AM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by Moebius44
This is a known issue. Behotec knows there is an issue.
known issue but no solution?