Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Joker build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Joker build thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 AM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TUMBLER

Ugh Inhad that same problem too! For me it was one of these pins was sticking to took them all out and oiled them.

On mine I found that the bottom arm of the strut that the wheel was attached to was slightly bent where the single arm comes out of the the double set. The piece with the two pins in the photo above should be straight with the piece that goes under the wheel that holds the axle. Seems the aluminum is soft enough to bend on marginally hard landings, i.e. flare too early and the plane drops from 6 or 8 inches. I removed the bottom piece and managed to straighten it sufficiently to allow it to retract even if the strut is not perfectly extending. However, I still ordered a 2nd set of struts to have on hand if it gets to the point where I can't repair them.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Midas D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take the leg apart as far as i can take it apart to night.

Where can these struts be ordered?

Cause due to posting these kinda questions and findings on here, Mr. Carf doesn't like that and does not reply to any e-mails any more.....
So much for custumer suport....

Cheers,

Ed
Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 PM
kekelala

I hope electrons have those legs and retracts
Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Midas D.
I will take the leg apart as far as i can take it apart to night.

Where can these struts be ordered?

Cause due to posting these kinda questions and findings on here, Mr. Carf doesn't like that and does not reply to any e-mails any more.....
So much for custumer suport....

Cheers,

Ed
go here...

Electric Retract Landing Gear Brand: JP Hobby Part- in Landing Gear & Wheel from Hobby-China Co.,LTd.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 AM
Midas D.

Thanks Skymaster,

Are these the one's?

​​​​​​JP Hobby Anti-Vibration Landing Gears Link diameter ?12mm wheel shaft D5mm for rc models Buy from Hobby China Shop

Cheers,

Ed
Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 AM
dccatl

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Those look right, I ordered these, but not sure which is better for you shipping wise:

https://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/JP...H-OL-120-S.htm
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 AM
kevin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this same issue and tried both a Spektrum DX18 with 2 different receivers, and also a FrSKY Horus X12 with an X8 receiver... its not a radio issue, its the servos. The servos in mine (pnp) are apparently not HV (yes they say HV) . These might have been hv at some point during the production cycle but im guessing something changed ... I could be wrong?, but I tried a 2 cell lipo and then also a 2 cell life pack. It locked up often on 2 cell lipo, it did not lock up as much on 2 cell life but it still does. On a voltage regulator at less then 6 volts the servos operate normally, but how much torque do they have now, dont know?? Thanks to my rep for helping me with this. I intend to go hv servos, just figuring out what to do next since i dont want to use regulators (thats a different story). just a heads up for those that encounter this...

just my experience, your mileage may vary...

And BTW ... The extension i posted a while back with the heat shrink wrap on it is indeed a voltage regulator but no mention of where they wanted it to be used. Maybe to knock down the voltage for the whole system to counter the issue mentioned above? When I plugged in a 2 cell lipo that started at 7.7 volts into it, it knocked it down to 6.66 volts which is the same voltage my life pack was running.

Hi Dave,

What radio system are you going to use?

I'm still having issues with the combo of futaba and the McGregor servos.
So after a lot of experimenting with different receivers, power supply's and even an new transmitter (futaba) i came to the point of taking them out. (on advise of McGregor itself after contacting them)
The only receiver the Mcgregors worked flawless with was an HobbyKing orange.
My mate is using them as wel with out any problems on a Jet set up.

Did you came across these issue's before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MwQd0G92B4&t=36s&frags=pl%2Cwn

On this video you see clearly how they for some reason freeze.
On all other brands then futaba they just worked without any problem.

Very strange isn't it?

cheers,

Ed
Old 10-15-2018, 06:22 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

All the people here are using a Powerbox Sensor switch at 5.9v, mine is the same and with the P100 I don’t notice any issues with the servos at that voltage.
CARF are aware of the servo voltage change and are talking with the supplier.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:32 AM
Midas D.

Well i tried the servo's on all posible voltage 4.8-5.9-6.0-7.4 V and on all Voltage nothing changed.

Tried, a powerbox switch 5.9 and the powerbox switch 7.4, the Jeti switch,Emcotec miniDPSI on 5.9V and 7.2V, lipo direct in to receiver, different receiver, different transmitter(new out the box) different receiver mode's, different battery packs, long cables short cables, ferrite cores you name it, tried it all and 0 succes...... unfortunally.....

The only thing that kinda worked eventually is sending an e-mail to McGreggor and they told me "we never tested our servo's with Futaba" for what it's worth.....

This hobby is so much fun

Cheers,
Ed

Last edited by Midas D.; 10-15-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:37 PM
jcterrettaz

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope I dont have the same problem ..still waiting from Ray Labonte my rep. about tracking #
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
LewisE1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Which receiver are you using ?
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

So just flew mine again yesterday and I have about 25 flights on it with a DX18 and 2s Lipo and only issue is my steering servo started doing some weird bounce thing when returning to center? Are we now being told these are not HV servos???
Old 10-15-2018, 04:24 PM
TUMBLER

But why would they run 5.9v on an HV servo? Like running a 12 cylinder car on 8. Did they know there was some sort of problem with these servos?

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
All the people here are using a Powerbox Sensor switch at 5.9v, mine is the same and with the P100 I don’t notice any issues with the servos at that voltage.
CARF are aware of the servo voltage change and are talking with the supplier.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM
TUMBLER

So what happens? The servos do nothing at all?

Well i tried the servo's on all posible voltage 4.8-5.9-6.0-7.4 V and on all Voltage nothing changed.

Tried, a powerbox switch 5.9 and the powerbox switch 7.4, the Jeti switch,Emcotec miniDPSI on 5.9V and 7.2V, lipo direct in to receiver, different receiver, different transmitter(new out the box) different receiver mode's, different battery packs, long cables short cables, ferrite cores you name it, tried it all and 0 succes...... unfortunally.....

The only thing that kinda worked eventually is sending an e-mail to McGreggor and they told me "we never tested our servo's with Futaba" for what it's worth.....

This hobby is so much fun

Cheers,
Ed
Old 10-15-2018, 04:43 PM
kevin

My servos would lock up and start buzzing loudly. I could grab the surface when it locked up and easily move the surface/servo and it would stop buzzing and go back to neutral....until more input was given and it would lock up again. Happened often on 2s lipo, less so on 2s life, and normal at just under 6 volts.

Originally Posted by TUMBLER

So what happens? The servos do nothing at all?

Old 10-15-2018, 04:47 PM
TUMBLER

Man man that is so weird!!! I feel like I have been cheating death every flight now. I was going to switch to Life to be safe until reading your last post.

Originally Posted by kevin
My servos would lock up and start buzzing loudly. I could grab the surface when it locked up and easily move the surface/servo and it would stop buzzing and go back to neutral....until more input was given and it would lock up again. Happened often on 2s lipo, less so on 2s life, and normal at just under 6 volts.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Dave Wilshere

The servos were always wide voltage, 6.0-8.4v was the original spec. From what I have seen the servos with a JR style lead colour took the higher voltage, my servos have a Futaba colour wire and didn’t like HV. Questions are being asked to the factory, but at 6.0v on my JR DMSS they are solid and the model flies locked.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:42 AM
kevin

My servo wires can be seen in this photo...
Old 10-16-2018, 04:53 AM
kevin

Didnt like the open cockpit look and didnt want to paint my canopy so came up with this. Might go back and add cockpit detailts later but for now it does what i was hoping and looks better than before.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:58 AM
kekelala

Or you can fog the canopy to keep it light

regards, kekelala
Old 10-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Kevin

They are the latest type like mine. 6v seems to be the limit of these, like I said enough power, Flaps hold just fine

Dave
Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Midas D.

That Swiss scheme is just awesom!!!

Been out flying today, did an other 6 un-eventfull flight's (with the savox servo's )
Still moving the CG back cause she's still a little nose heavy.

Where do you guy's got your CG?

Cheers,

Ed
Old 10-17-2018, 04:52 AM
Dave Wilshere

Still shifting mine back too. Started with 2700 2s ECU and two 2200 Rx packs plus a 350.2s on the retracts and now I have 1600 Rx and a spur feeding the retracts off one pack. I still want to go back more, I guess I’m 190mm now with 1/4 main tank.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:57 AM
TUMBLER

Inwas was right on the recommended CG and have added 2ozs to the tail and nose still drops when inverted. The recommended cg is conservative.

That Swiss scheme is just awesom!!!

Been out flying today, did an other 6 un-eventfull flight's (with the savox servo's )
Still moving the CG back cause she's still a little nose heavy.

Where do you guy's got your CG?

Cheers,

Ed
Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Midas D.

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Still shifting mine back too. Started with 2700 2s ECU and two 2200 Rx packs plus a 350.2s on the retracts and now I have 1600 Rx and a spur feeding the retracts off one pack. I still want to go back more, I guess I’m 190mm now with 1/4 main tank.
Hi Dave,

I never left any fuel in the tank, hopper full only and retract's retracted when balancing, so maybe i should start leaving some fuel in the tank you think??

I'm now leaving my 2 rx packs in the nose and move the 3s 2200 LiFe to the back on the electronics plate all the way forward to the bulkhead.
I hope this will not be an to radical move in CG

Cheers,

Ed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.