Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 01:11 PM
skyowa

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Heng Long Motors

So in the process of upgrading the drives on my tanks, I've ended up with blue motors in my Bulldog and Pershing, a ball bearing gear box and blue motor in the Challenger II and red motors in the Leopard and Abrams, which now has metal tracks and road wheels, returns etc. But the thing is, the Pershing and Walker are as fast as the Leopard and Abrams, if not faster, and the fastest is the Challenger II.

So I took a steel gearbox, and did some tests, the blue motors are yielding about 50RPM higher at the output shaft than the reds. with the polarity correct, and the ones where polarity is reversed to run the right direction, they all yield about 30-40RPM less, so you end up having to tune down the faster motor to match the speed of the slower one, which makes it slow down even more turning in one direction and speed up a bit in the other.

At best, I'm getting nothing special motors just painted red it seems?
Old 05-08-2024, 03:35 PM
tankme

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

The red motor should be longer than the blue motor. The Blue should be a 380 motor
(28mm wide x 37mm long) and the red is a 390 motor (29mm wide x 46.5mm long). Now here is the rub, these motors are made by a bunch of different companies to a bunch of different specs. Some are made for 3-6V operation, some are for 6-12V and even some are up to 18V. Depending on who made them, the RPM and torque numbers can also be different based on the quality of the magnets, the number of turns and if it has a torque sleeve added to the outside of the motor.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:55 PM
Fsttanks

Received 257 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by skyowa
So in the process of upgrading the drives on my tanks, I've ended up with blue motors in my Bulldog and Pershing, a ball bearing gear box and blue motor in the Challenger II and red motors in the Leopard and Abrams, which now has metal tracks and road wheels, returns etc. But the thing is, the Pershing and Walker are as fast as the Leopard and Abrams, if not faster, and the fastest is the Challenger II.

So I took a steel gearbox, and did some tests, the blue motors are yielding about 50RPM higher at the output shaft than the reds. with the polarity correct, and the ones where polarity is reversed to run the right direction, they all yield about 30-40RPM less, so you end up having to tune down the faster motor to match the speed of the slower one, which makes it slow down even more turning in one direction and speed up a bit in the other.

At best, I'm getting nothing special motors just painted red it seems?
I would suspect you got the "fake" low quality red 390 motors.

It you want both speed and torque look at getting a set of Taigen black 390 motors. These have higher RPMs the "reds 390 or blue 380" with substantial more torque then the blue 380s yet slightly less then the real red 390s. The Taigen black 390s are not widely faked especially if you buy them directly from Taigen/Torro.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-08-2024 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skyowa (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:01 PM
skyowa

physical dimensions are correct, performance is not, the joys of this brand line are infinite
Old 05-09-2024, 10:38 AM
skyowa

Well, I just got one more set, from Toucan Hobby, same result, exact same motor, so 3 different sellers, all fakes
Old 05-09-2024, 07:59 PM
Fsttanks

Well, I just got one more set, from Toucan Hobby, same result, exact same motor, so 3 different sellers, all fakes
Buy a set of Taigen/Torro Black 390s. Just be sure to buy the ones for the "3:1" gear box so the pinion gear is in the same position as on the HL motors.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:22 PM
skyowa

already had the set from Toucan on order, they'll take them back, so does the Taigen gearbox motor combo/bolt up in an HL or are just the morotrs compatible? And what's a good US source for Taigen?
Old 05-09-2024, 08:28 PM
skyowa

is this what I want?

https://www.taigentanks.com/products...35669589229735
Old 05-10-2024, 12:15 PM
Fsttanks

Yes those are the ones.

Higher RPMs then the "real" red 390s, but slightly less torque.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:18 PM
Fsttanks

already had the set from Toucan on order, they'll take them back, so does the Taigen gearbox motor combo/bolt up in an HL or are just the morotrs compatible? And what's a good US source for Taigen?
Yes Taigen / Torro gearboxes are direct drop in replacement for HL tanks. Just be sure to also buy Taigen sprocket as the HL ones can sometimes be a little tight fitting on Taigen drive shafts.
The following users liked this post:
skyowa (05-10-2024)