RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopRCModel FW-190

Reply

Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM
  #351  
HiCurrent
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: cypress, CA
Posts: 92
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hi guys, I using the Saito FG90 in mine and Sierra gears. It seems like I will need 2 lbs of weight in the nose to balance at 166 mm. Can someone tell me how much weight you have in the nose for this setup ?
HiCurrent is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:24 PM
  #352  
LtMash1A
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent View Post
Hi guys, I using the Saito FG90 in mine and Sierra gears. It seems like I will need 2 lbs of weight in the nose to balance at 166 mm. Can someone tell me how much weight you have in the nose for this setup ?
I have the same engine and can't remember how much weight I had to add. I put mine in the cowl ring, but two pounds sounds about right.
LtMash1A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 PM
  #353  
HiCurrent
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: cypress, CA
Posts: 92
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

thank you for the reassurance.
HiCurrent is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:25 AM
  #354  
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Nashville, IN,
Posts: 1,306
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Do what it takes to get to balance. 98% of the guys will never mess with CG after the initial W&B is done, which they should as it will make the plane more balanced and fun to fly.
"Nose heavy airplanes will fly poorly, Tail Heavy airplanes only fly once!"
Sparky
elmshoot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 AM
  #355  
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)
 
AV8ATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 227
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by elmshoot View Post
Do what it takes to get to balance. 98% of the guys will never mess with CG after the initial W&B is done, which they should as it will make the plane more balanced and fun to fly.
"Nose heavy airplanes will fly poorly, Tail Heavy airplanes only fly once!"
Sparky
+1
I haven't started mine yet. I am leaning towards the Saito R90 for reliability an ease of maintenance. I was thinking on waiting on the new UMS125 but I don't have any experience with this motor. It would definitely take care of any question on power authorty and balance issues.
AV8ATOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:17 PM
  #356  
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Springdale, AR
Posts: 3,385
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

UMS 125cc will run on 40:1 and will require regular valve adjustments for the first 1 1/2 hours of flight but should settle fine after that. I’m comparing that to my 160cc UMS radials which have both been excellent motors
n8622t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:39 PM
  #357  
LtMash1A
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by AV8ATOR View Post
+1
I haven't started mine yet. I am leaning towards the Saito R90 for reliability an ease of maintenance. I was thinking on waiting on the new UMS125 but I don't have any experience with this motor. It would definitely take care of any question on power authorty and balance issues.

One thing to consider is getting your engine serviced or repaired. I have an 84 and two 90's .Sending one back to Horizon is not an option I would entertain. I had a problem with one of them, can't remember which one, but I sent it to Ray English and the repair was completed in about a week at a very reasonable price. Ray is the one who designed the improvements on the intake and bearings on the original 84. His improvements are licensed to Saito and are now incorporated in the newer 90 versions. He lives in Nevada and always glad to answer questions. Valve adjustments are easy and not required very often. I just check mine at the beginning of each season. Plus, there are only 3 cyl. to adjust. Everyone loves the sound with the Keleo exhaust.
LtMash1A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 PM
  #358  
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)
 
AV8ATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 227
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks for the response gents.

Ray English did the mod for my R84 will definitely purchase thru him if I go with the R90.
AV8ATOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 PM
  #359  
LtMash1A
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by AV8ATOR View Post
Thanks for the response gents.

Ray English did the mod for my R84 will definitely purchase thru him if I go with the R90.
He doesn't sell them. The engines are purchased through Horizon which is the US distributor. Just to clarify, if I read your statement correctly.
LtMash1A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 AM
  #360  
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Nashville, IN,
Posts: 1,306
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Ray is the Man!
He did the modifications to my 60-R3 engine. I purchased from Horizon and had it sent directly to him and then he sent the engine to me ready to run.
At the time I purchased mine, Ray was doing the warentee work on the engines for Horizon but that has changed since then.
I already have a GT-80 for my plane or I wound stuff a 90 in mine. I'm not a fan of the exposed rocker arms on the UMS engine as they will get dirt and other stuff in there that will exacerbate wear.
It appers now and I believe Ray has confirmed that the Saito radials have timing that is too advanced but if you get the engine and send it to Ray he will fix that issue too.
Sparky
elmshoot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:24 PM
  #361  
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Springdale, AR
Posts: 3,385
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by LtMash1A View Post
One thing to consider is getting your engine serviced or repaired. I have an 84 and two 90's .Sending one back to Horizon is not an option I would entertain. I had a problem with one of them, can't remember which one, but I sent it to Ray English and the repair was completed in about a week at a very reasonable price. Ray is the one who designed the improvements on the intake and bearings on the original 84. His improvements are licensed to Saito and are now incorporated in the newer 90 versions. He lives in Nevada and always glad to answer questions. Valve adjustments are easy and not required very often. I just check mine at the beginning of each season. Plus, there are only 3 cyl. to adjust. Everyone loves the sound with the Keleo exhaust.
yeah Ray can work on anything ....a friend of mine sent his Moki 150cc to him and he made some of improvement on that engine as well but, Morris James will do any work on the UMS motors with free shipping, while on warranty, and he seems to know his stuff as well. Not trying to persuade anyone.... just sayin
n8622t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:31 AM
  #362  
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (22)
 
maddog-RCU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Monticello, WI
Posts: 316
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tevans55 View Post


Added a little over 13,000 vinyl rivets.
Where did you get the rivets from?
maddog-RCU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:24 AM
  #363  
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Springdale, AR
Posts: 3,385
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by maddog-RCU View Post
Where did you get the rivets from?
the rivets look awesome....which size did you use?
n8622t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:31 AM
  #364  
tevans55
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,292
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

n8622t
I used 2mm vinyl rivets from Chad Veich.
tevans55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM
  #365  
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Springdale, AR
Posts: 3,385
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tevans55 View Post
n8622t
I used 2mm vinyl rivets from Chad Veich.
thanks tevans55...Ive got Chads number, good stuff!
n8622t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 AM
  #366  
scottme262
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Sanger California
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hello Reverend, I would like to buy one of your fans and the MG's for my Top RC FW190. I sent you a PM

Thank you
Scott Lampkin
scottme262 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:07 PM
  #367  
scottme262
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Sanger California
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hello, I am starting my first giant scale rc and would appreciate some opinions.

I just received my TopRcFW190 and would like recommendations on a spektrum compatible receivers that can power these 8 servos in the model.

The servos I have are what the guys at VQ recommended, the Hitec HS-5645MG.

My biggest concern is the receiver I get not having the current capacity to run 8 of these larger servos. the 8th one is to run the air system for the Sierra retracts I got with it.

Also, anyone run a gyro with it?

Please advise
Thank you
Scott
scottme262 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 AM
  #368  
LtMash1A
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by scottme262 View Post
Hello, I am starting my first giant scale rc and would appreciate some opinions.

I just received my TopRcFW190 and would like recommendations on a spektrum compatible receivers that can power these 8 servos in the model.

The servos I have are what the guys at VQ recommended, the Hitec HS-5645MG.

My biggest concern is the receiver I get not having the current capacity to run 8 of these larger servos. the 8th one is to run the air system for the Sierra retracts I got with it.

Also, anyone run a gyro with it?

Please advise
Thank you
Scott
Hi, Scott. Welcome to Giant Scale War Birds.Sounds like you have a 9 channel receiver I don't think current draw will be your problem with any .Spketrum Receiver. A good choice would be a Spectrum Power Safe 12 Channel receiver. That way you will have battery backup ,mixing options , a channel for a gyro. Like anything, you can make it as simple or complex as you want.
LtMash1A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:50 PM
  #369  
scottme262
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Sanger California
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hi Lt,
I saw the power safe 9 and 12 receivers and thought that might do it. Does the power and current go from the receiver through the gyro and the gyro only modifies the signal and not the power feed? Im only familiar with the little Admiral receivers with the gyro built in.

Thanks again,

On a side note
It would be great if everyone that had one flying posted an all up weight, engine and prop size like Tim D from Florida did. Kind of a reference for noobs like myself.

Thanks
Scott
scottme262 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 PM
  #370  
LtMash1A
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default



Hope this helps. Spektrum DX 18 transmitter. Spectrum 12 Channel Power Safe Rec. Two 3000 Mah Spectrum Life Batteries for receiver. Cortex Gyro Powered through the receiver . Ignition battery eliminator, so no separate battery needed for the ignition.No big deal to have another battery for the ignition. Engine Saito 90RG, Keep your weight forward, you will need to add weight to balance in the cowl, Mine weighs about 32 lbs. I use a 3 blade Biela Folk Wuff prop (not shown here from Aircraft Inter
LtMash1A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:23 PM
  #371  
scottme262
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Sanger California
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Lt. Thank you, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear.

With that setup does it fly fast enough to look scale etc. Its so hard to tell without the experience of guy like you and I appreciate it.

BTW. what the spec on the Biela 3 blade you are using?

Thanks again
scottme262 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM
  #372  
LtMash1A
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by scottme262 View Post
Lt. Thank you, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear.

With that setup does it fly fast enough to look scale etc. Its so hard to tell without the experience of guy like you and I appreciate it.

BTW. what the spec on the Biela 3 blade you are using?

Thanks again
​​​​​​Biela Semi Scale Propellers 22X12. Of course the prop you use will depend on the motor you are using. On the RG90, it will fly faster than scale if you want and will pull hard through a big loop.It has a very good sound. If you are just starting out, you should use a 60 - 80 two stroke motor as recommended with the kit. It will fly great on that size motor.and you would use a prop size recommended tor that motor. AI can help you with the proper prop selection. You really need to find someone locally that flies the bigger warbirds to help you through the learning curve. You will really enjoy going to the warbird meets and make good friends along the way
LtMash1A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:42 PM
  #373  
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Nashville, IN,
Posts: 1,306
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The MFG suggested weight will be a good start. It wont matter as long as you don't get too crazy with the details.
Spektrum Power safe RX will be fine Current draw isn't an issue. Use a pair of 1100 or larger LiFe batteries I typically use the ones in the 2200 Mah range.
Mine will be powered with a Zenoah GT-80 twin and sierra retracts.
No Hi-Tec servos high end JR servo's for me.
elmshoot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 AM
  #374  
scottme262
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Sanger California
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Lt. Thank you for the specs. That is exciting that it fly's fast with that prop. Initially I was looking at the 28 diameter prop since that's closer to a scale size for its wingspan, but sounds like a 28 is way too big for the engines that fit. :-)
I have a lot of IMAC guys that fly at our new club so I'm starting to talk to them. Only one other guy does big Warbirds but he is only there once every few months. I do have a Jet guru that is there every time im there so i have been picking his brain as well.

Elmshoot, the Power Safe RX is what has been recommended and its nice to see you are doing the same thing. good to hear about total weight being workable. thanks for the input.

Scott
(Nicknamed "Inspector Clouseau" back in 84' because I asked too many questions)
scottme262 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 AM
  #375  
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Nashville, IN,
Posts: 1,306
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Scott
(Nicknamed "Inspector Clouseau" back in 84' because I asked too many questions)[/QUOTE]

Does your dog bite?
Sparky
elmshoot is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service