Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Retractable tailwheel and fixed main gear!
Only the British could come up with that!
Maybe they were drinking more than just Tea!
Ernie u r up!
Sparky
Thanks, Sparky. That was a good question, but it was one with which I was familiar; so sorry for cutting it short. As you know, I like taking the long shots. I'll post something today. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Ernie P.

And here's your new question. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was not one of the more famous in its war. As such, it is largely unknown today.

2. But it was very nearly much better known.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:38 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was not one of the more famous in its war. As such, it is largely unknown today

3. And there is a chance that, had it been the winner in an informal competition with a much more famous aircraft, it would itself be much more famous today.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

How about ye'old B-18
Old 10-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
How about ye'old B-18
Good answer, Sparky; right thought process, etc.; but not where we're headed. Here's a bonus clue, and an early afternoon clue, to reward and assist your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was not one of the more famous in its war. As such, it is largely unknown today

3. And there is a chance that, had it been the winner in an informal competition with a much more famous aircraft, it would itself be much more famous today.

4. It was not a formal competition as such; but a decision was being made as to which single aircraft type was to be produced in largely increased numbers. And our subject was one of the two under active consideration; although mainly as a backup for the other aircraft.

5. But the question is; “Would it have been famous or infamous”?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. It was not a formal competition as such; but a decision was being made as to which single aircraft type was to be produced in largely increased numbers. And our subject was one of the two under active consideration; although mainly as a backup for the other aircraft.

6. In trials, it proved to be an able contender.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning
Old 10-11-2018, 12:20 AM
Ernie P.

Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning
Thanks for reminding me of an airplane I haven't thought about in a lot of years, Sparky. I'll award a bonus clue, as well as a morning clue, but as you can see we're not headed toward the XP-58. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was fast and handled well.

8. It was very maneuverable.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 AM
SimonCraig1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Heinkel He-100?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1
The Heinkel He-100?
Not the He-100, SimonCraig1; but a good guess. Our subject airplane was, in fact, a monoplane; but not that monoplane. Here's an afternoon clue, and a bonus clue, to reward and assist your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

10. It offered its pilot excellent visibility.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Ernie P.

Based upon past practice, you guys are expecting an evening clue, aren't you? Well, here it is. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

11. Two versions were produced for the trials.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

12. The second version was quite similar, but with a heavier armament.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

13. When it was proposed to an ally, the ally wasn’t informed it was a design for a single seat fighter; and the ally decided not to order any of the type. And the producing country decided to select the other aircraft as its main fighter.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

13. When it was proposed to an ally, the ally wasn’t informed it was a design for a single seat fighter; and the ally decided not to order any of the type. And the producing country decided to select the other aircraft as its main fighter.

14. Nevertheless, more than 1,000 of the aircraft were produced as fighters.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Ernie P.

I'm going to post Saturday's clue a bit earlier than normal. I have to be up and about all day Saturday; we (We being my two local RC Clubs, the F.A.R.M. Club and C.M.B) are doing RC demo's, buddy boxing and a static display of RC planes at the Culpeper Air Fest. The day starts early, so I'll post this tonight. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

15. It was very popular with the pilots who flew it. They loved its speed and maneuverability.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:00 PM
elmshoot

Siemens-Schuckert D.III
Old 10-13-2018, 12:48 AM
Ernie P.

Siemens-Schuckert D.III
I caught this one while having a cup of coffee before heading out. Great answer, Sparky; but still not correct. (Besides; In my opinion, the Siemens-Schuckert was no part of a plane Germany needed in WWI. We'll have to talk about that plane some day, but not now.) And of course, here's a bonus clue for you. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

15. It was very popular with the pilots who flew it. They loved its speed and maneuverability.

16. But there proved to be a wing defect; and there were several losses related to wing failure.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

16. But there proved to be a wing defect; and there were several losses related to wing failure.

17. As a result, the plane was withdrawn from combat rather quickly.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:50 PM
elmshoot

Maybe the Fokker D8. Some of the clues don't match, the wing did have some issues in the beginning.
Sparky
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Ernie P.

Maybe the Fokker D8. Some of the clues don't match, the wing did have some issues in the beginning.
Sparky
Sparky; again a really great answer, but not where we're headed. But you do earn a bonus clue for your attempt. And, since it's after midnight here and I have to be up and gone again in the wee hours of the morn (I'm teaching a Range Safety Officer (RSO) course tomorrow morning), I'll go ahead and drop the morning clue now. Thanks; Ernie P.

BTW; The Fokker D-8 was a great airplane. But again, it was no part of an airplane that Germany needed in 1918.

9. It climbed quickly.

18. Oddly enough, the wing was apparently quite robust; and the problem was probably in a design area not then well understood.

19. The manufacturer then decided to offer the type as a trainer.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

18. Oddly enough, the wing was apparently quite robust; and the problem was probably in a design area not then well understood.

20. It was produced as an advanced trainer, and two versions were produced.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

21. And additional bracing was designed for the wings.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Ernie P.

Np guesses so maybe another clue is needed. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

22. The trainer versions were used in large numbers by the producing country. Another country bought and used more than 50; and four other countries bought at least one each.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:30 AM
Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

22. The trainer versions were used in large numbers by the producing country. Another country bought and used more than 50; and four other countries bought at least one each.

23. It was eventually decided wing flutter was the cause of the wing failures in the fighter versions; or perhaps another related phenomena simply not understood at the time.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:10 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. It climbed quickly.

23. It was eventually decided wing flutter was the cause of the wing failures in the fighter versions; or perhaps another related phenomena simply not understood at the time.

24. Either way, its time in active combat service as a fighter was short; perhaps three months in all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.