Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Trailers, Jets and Heat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Trailers, Jets and Heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:08 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Trailers, Jets and Heat

So after 8 years of using my 4 foot by 8 foot trusty Silverado pickup truck bed for transport, I have come to the conclusion that my latest jet has made me out grow my pick up. I have jumped onto to the trailer band wagon as it were for transport and storage. What I would like to know, has any one had any issues storing your jets and planes in a trailer with the heat and humidity.
Thanks
Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80, K-140, K-180
owner
Old 05-28-2016, 06:43 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some things worth attending to. I have a 5x8.. and the first thing I noticed was how much it would hop when crossing railways, no matter how slow you drive. I then removed the middle spring and the trailer is so much nicer now.

As far as heat effects? I couldnt have it worse as my trailer is black. I bought a couple of vents and installed them at the top on the walls, kitty corner so as to let it breath. Equaly important.. I insulated the roof with 1" aluminum foil backed insulation board. This I felt was very important because the roof is nothing more than a shinny 1/8 peice of aluminum shaped like a radar dish and focusing the radiant heat inward.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture392.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2164543  
Old 05-28-2016, 03:24 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Be careful storing LiPo batteries in the trailer during hot months.
They don't take well to elevated temperatures...
Old 05-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will ask yourself why you waited so long to get a trailer, I could not imagine being without one. I have stored planes for months at a time for years with no issues to date. Not during winter other than foamies. A tandem axle does ride much better.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:33 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

This should help solar power fan from eBay $49 and problem solved have two of them on my garage the work good and make the area much cooler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2164809  
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2016, 02:23 AM
bhouin
My Feedback: (106)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure to get a torsion axle instead of a leaf spring. It will not be quite as bouncy. However since we typically aren't loading the trailer with much weight you will still need to be careful around bumps and railroad tracks.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine has a white roof & sides which keeps the heat down to reasonable levels, not much more than ambient in the sun.
It has vents up high to let the heat out.

Spring rates depend on what you want to do with your trailer, if it's just models keep them soft, if it has to double up
for a mower/snowmobile/motorcycle you will have to go stiffer which will be bouncy with a light load.

Dual axles are used for heavy loads, not models. They tow nice & stable because they don't steer with two rigid axles
(you will find this out when you find it's next to impossible to move them by hand in anything other than a straight line)
but a properly set up single axle trailer will tow fine. As well as lighter & cheaper.

Trailers can become a bigger is better pi$$ing contest with multiple batteries, workshops, generators, solar panels,
cupboards etc but remember you have to drag it round, store it, maintain it & pay for it. Sometimes less is better.

John.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:48 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theft: If your trailer is stolen so is everything inside.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:06 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4Flight
Theft: If your trailer is stolen so is everything inside.
Same goes for models in a truck...
Old 05-29-2016, 04:26 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sysiek
This should help solar power fan from eBay $49 and problem solved have two of them on my garage the work good and make the area much cooler.
This is great! Just what I need for several applications. Thanks for posting