Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetcat does not return your turbine the way it was sent in

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetcat does not return your turbine the way it was sent in

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 AM
slpnGIANT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetcat does not return your turbine the way it was sent in

Sent my turbine in to have a repair done. When I got it back my ECU had been reset. George dropped the RPM down 6000 RPMs from where it was and will not help me return it to where it was when I sent it in. Trying to talk to him is just like trying to talk to a wall. In the last year I have spent over $1,500 on this motor and now it is virtually unusable in the plane it was in.

So his excuse was, "well what is going to keep you from turning it to 140,000" All that was is an excuse to not help me. When John helped me put it back to where it was when I sent it to him, it was set, you could not just keep turning it up.

When I sent my motor in for the 25 hour to John Redman in Tehachapi the same thing happened. He was more than glad to help me set it back to where it was when I sent it in.

WE MISS YOU JOHN!!

No more Jetcats for me. If you cannot get a motor back, the same way you sent it in, and cannot get any help, I'll go somewhere I can.

sG
Old 08-27-2016, 02:50 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What motor were you going to run up to 140,000 rpm?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM
slpnGIANT

It was just a smart-ass comment on his part to say there was nothing to keep me from just continuing to turn the motor up which is bs. It was as fictitious number.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:24 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

So what motor are you running up to what rpm?? Maybe Jetcat considers it unsafe??
Vin...
Old 08-27-2016, 07:53 PM
mr_matt

What RPM was it set at? 6000 rpm is a big change. What turbine is it? And if there is nothing to keep you from turning it up then that is not BS. 6000 RPM difference on the top end can blow a turbine sky high.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had several conversations with George. I find him quite helpful and my JCs are finally running correctly.

In the past, I also had several conversations with John. I found John to be quite helpful, when you could talk to him. However, talking with him was difficult to accomplish and return email was non-existent.

Also, I could never keep my three P-90 RXIs running when John was working on them. But, ... ultimately I figured the engines were just not ready for prime time and it was not necessarily John's fault that he could not get them running correctly. I got rid of all 3 of the P-90s and reinstated my "never buy a first year production model" rule of thumb.

The best things about George are: He answers the phone, and follows up to ensure what he says he is going to do gets done in a very timely manner. He also actually returns calls in a timely manner, too. I always found him very polite and reasonable. And he had to clean up a couple of John's leftover "messes" for me.

Also, the comment initially made here does not make much sense. If JC's ECU currently has you locked out, how would you change the ECU setting without the access code. Sounds like what you are really looking for is just the access code. Being locked out is a fact of life with JC. It keeps us from doing something stupid and then looking for the warranty to pickup the tab for our mistakes. Increasing max RPM 6K seems a bit extreme. You might want to consider getting the right sized turbine, when you switch brands. Also, George has factory specs to deal with. If he set the turbine above spec, then he would be accepting a certain amount of liability.

There is all kinds of proprietary information out in the field today. Try asking the FBI about Apple's cell phone security technology. If you can't live with proprietary access, then guess it is your choice to go someplace else.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:19 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an old 6.0 ECU die recently, I got a phone call the minute they got it in and fixed the same day... I didn't mention a rush or anything and got it back with an order a few days later. Dreamworks has always had great service, I have a feeling we will experience the same with their Jetcat repairs.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:38 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

The new JetCat USA team is dedicated to providing an unparalleled level of Sales, Support and Service. Every engine is serviced with Performance, Reliability, and Safety being priority one. Every engine has limitations; With micro turbines, RPM is the limiting factor and exceeding the manufacturing RPM limitations of turbine/compressor wheels can have destructive, devastating and dangerous consequences!
Turbine manufacturers usually set engine limits within a few thousand RPM of these component limits as a buffer for engine over-speed. In the interest of safety, All engines serviced by JetCat USA will be set to the maximum manufacturer RPM specification for each engine model, period. Having witnessed more than once, Catastrophic compressor failure; engine over-speed failure is not a risk we are willing to take with any engine!

6000 RPM is well beyond the safety margin of the rotating assembly and if you require this much additional thrust from your motor, It is time to step up in engine class, not RPM! Would you operate your car engine on a regular basis 6000 rpm above red-line?! How long do you think that will last before ending badly? Shrapnel in my test cell walls paint a very clear picture of the dangers involved, and the liability we are not willing to accept.

Todd Witkoff
JetCat USA

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1978788_440272052774846_2376878388593425776_n.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2178801   Click image for larger version

Name:	10171657_440272062774845_179470703104329567_n.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2178802  
Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the exact problem as the OP with a P-80. Purchased s/n 2289 in 2008 direct from JetCat and the engine came set to 123K. After a year, I sent it in for servicing due to seizing on start. Got it back set to 117K. When I called about that, I was told P-80's were supposed to be 117K and the fact that it was originally delivered at 123K didn't seem to matter.

What I think happened is that when the ECU firmware was updated to 6.0V, it got the standard P-80 load that defaulted to 117K. I don't know how JetCat does their configuration control, but P-80's have been variously updated over the years for higher thrust to run at 120K & 123K and higher for the SE.

What method does JetCat use to differentiate which hardware these engines contain to get them set correctly?? I don't know and I see no way to tell either.

A year and a half ago, I had a regular P-80, s/n 2099, a 120K engine I believe, rebuilt and it came back as a P-80SE set to 125K. In this case, I think they replaced the circuit board under the hood with one that had it's ID set as an SE engine so the ECU auto-configured for that. I'm sure the engine doesn't have the right parts in it to be an SE as it seems to starve for air when accelerating.

The OP didn't say what engine, but it's certainly possible, in my opinion, that he may not be out of line.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This will be my only post on this matter, but Thud has pretty much nailed it.

Regarding the OP, the matter has been settled after I conferred with the factory.

On a side note, I appreciate the support we have been shown here.

Thanks,
George
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 PM
slpnGIANT

When I made my phone call to very politely ask if my motor could be returned to the 123 that it had been running at for years, the door was pretty much slammed in my face. There is no reason to get into the details, but I believe things should have been handled a little differently to put it mildly.

All that had to be said was, I'll be glad to look into it for you. Period. And at that point the outcome would be exactly what Jetcat concurred. My P80 can run at 123,000.

So when I get home from work next week, a phone call to Jetcat will put my P 80 back to normal. (and believe you me, 6000 rpms, makes a world of difference)

.... and George, I learned my lesson, I'll NEVER call you on Saturday again!!

sG
Old 08-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I had an old school P-80 back in the day that was updated and Bob Wilcox set it to 120k putting out 19lbs thrust. With the new wheels they have today I would think it could run at 123k and still be safe.
Vin...
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 AM
mr_matt

Ok well 123k is a heck of a different story than 140k!