Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Losi 3.4 Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:42 AM
losi12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi 3.4 Starting Issues

I have a Losi Ten-T that has been sitting on the shelf for about a year...and i cannot get the engine to start! The glow plug is in great shape and the carb pulls fuel from the tank but its like the fuel is not getting into the cylinder. I have even replaced the carb with a brand new one. I set the LSN and HSN to the factory settings as well as tried to set the carb to run very lean and very rich. I can turn the motor over for a few minutes and when I pull the head off there is no fuel on the top of the piston anywhere and no flooding. I am at a loss does anyone have any ideas?? I am to the point now where I am ready to order a new motor. I have noticed a bit of fuel leaking from the flywheel as well.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:26 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by losi12
I have a Losi Ten-T that has been sitting on the shelf for about a year...and i cannot get the engine to start! The glow plug is in great shape and the carb pulls fuel from the tank but its like the fuel is not getting into the cylinder. I have even replaced the carb with a brand new one. I set the LSN and HSN to the factory settings as well as tried to set the carb to run very lean and very rich. I can turn the motor over for a few minutes and when I pull the head off there is no fuel on the top of the piston anywhere and no flooding. I am at a loss does anyone have any ideas?? I am to the point now where I am ready to order a new motor. I have noticed a bit of fuel leaking from the flywheel as well.
It seems that you attacked the engine & carb tune....
Have you done anything to the fuel tank?....
Old 08-27-2016, 12:45 PM
losi12

The Fuel tank seems fine. Blowing on the tube into the tank pushes fuel out and plugging the exhaust also does the same.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 PM
cbaker65

I asked because the fuel tank has to be pressurized from the muffler ,an if theres a air leak in the tank lid then there wont
be enough pressure to send the fuel to the carb.,also the bearing leaking may be hindering the fuel from getting pulled
up to the head.
What type of starting system do you have?

Sorry it took so long for reply,PC was acting funky!...
Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

See if the engine will run if you put a few drops of fuel into the cylinder directly. Sounds to me as though it's not getting primed well enough.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 AM
losi12

The fuel tank seems to be pressurized, if i unhook the supply line to the carb and turn the motor over the fuel sprays out of the hose. I'm leaning towards the bearing leaking that makes a lot of sense since i think there is no fuel at all being pulled to the top of the motor. I am using the ROSS starting system.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 AM
losi12

I will try that tonight I am stuck at work right now. If the engine is not being primed well enough what would be the cause?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The cause of not being primed enough is not getting enough fuel into the engine to start it. Either turn the engine over with the carb or exhaust plugged longer or blow through the pressure line to the tank to force more fuel into the engine. I highly doubt the bearings are the problem. An engine that has sat a long time often has congealed/dried oil in the carburetor passages and needle valves. Sometimes it takes a little fuel flow through it to loosen it all up. Get fuel to the carb and put 4-6 drops through the glow plug hole. If the engine doesn't even fire at all, replace the glow plug with a new one. A glow plug that glows isn't necessarily any good.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 AM
losi12

Right on thanks for the helpful replies! The carb is brand new I already replaced it as well as the glow plug but maybe I will try a new glow plug. It's frustrating not having the knowledge but I enjoy all the learnings!
Old 08-28-2016, 09:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

If it's not getting fuel, something isn't right. Open the needle valves more. Ensure the idle gap is set correctly - .5mm is a good start. If fuel still won't feed, open the throttle full and see if fuel will flow then. Plug the exhaust with throttle open full and turn engine over. If it does not flow fuel, your idle gap is too tight and/or idle needle too lean.

Manually squirting fuel into the cylinder and trying to light it up will as least confirm the engine will run.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:33 AM
losi12

Put some fuel into the top of the cylinder and still won't run. Tried another glow plug still nothing. The glow plug glows red but maybe isn't hot enough?? That ROSS system has failed me before maybe i should buy a glow plug igniter....
Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by losi12
Put some fuel into the top of the cylinder and still won't run. Tried another glow plug still nothing. The glow plug glows red but maybe isn't hot enough?? That ROSS system has failed me before maybe i should buy a glow plug igniter....
I would try a standalone glow driver. Yes.