Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

All that AMA money, ever wonder where it all goes?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

All that AMA money, ever wonder where it all goes?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All that AMA money, ever wonder where it all goes?

So there's lot of discussion recently by a few folks about the AMA and the millions of dollars they collect by way of our dues. One suggestion is that more money should be given out to clubs, but it's not clear what clubs, and how this should be done.

What appears to be missing in that discussion is the fact that the AMA already sends money out to clubs, they just do it on a needs and merit basis. I think folks might not be aware of the multiple ways that clubs can seek money from the AMA. For instance, do you know that your club can received upwards of $175.00 per year just for getting your events mentioned in local media? Can you believe it, I mean, how easy is that? I recently submitted a newspaper article and expect that our club will receive $75.00, merely for being mentioned. It could have been $25.00 more of the article spelled out what AMA stood for. Cha Ching! What program does that money come from you might ask? The club recognition and reward program. I wonder how many clubs are aware of this and take advantage of it? I don't recall anyone mentioning this lately, hopefully this post will help.

Is your club going to upgrade or improve facilities? Would you be surpirsed to hear that the AMA hands out money for this? By golly they sure do! It's like...free money there for the asking! That's done through the AMA Flying Site Grants. As an aside, they gave out $23,000 in 2016. How complicated is the process...well, just take 5 minutes or so to fill out a form and provide some documentation. It always helps to get an AVP and DV involved in the process too!

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/fly...nts-announced/

2017 grant applications can be submitted at this time.

My club has received over $500.00 over the past few years for various reasons, it just takes a bit of effort to get some paperwork filled out, simple as that!

Here is a link that provides some additional information on the many programs available to clubs, hope it helps!

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/clubs.aspx

When you sign in, click on the "Club Services" tab under Members and Clubs.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cashola.png
Views:	97
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2182574  
Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

nope,
never wondered about it at all.
do not see a reason to start now.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Well in case you or anyone else ever gets inquisitive, now you know where to go for more information.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:02 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
So there's lot of discussion recently by a few folks about the AMA and the millions of dollars they collect by way of our dues. One suggestion is that more money should be given out to clubs, but it's not clear what clubs, and how this should be done.

Is your club going to upgrade or improve facilities? Would you be surpirsed to hear that the AMA hands out money for this? By golly they sure do! It's like...free money there for the asking! That's done through the AMA Flying Site Grants. As an aside, they gave out $23,000 in 2016.
Fair enough. They did give clubs $23,000. In the same minutes, they mentioned spending five times that for two projects at Muncie flying sites. How an organization allocates it's scarce dollars is a direct representation of their priorities. $23K for where majority of members fly; $126K for Muncie.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

The organization's HQ, a location with a world class museum, and flying fields that support the NATS. It's money well spent. Other than a few select complaints, it's not an issue.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:05 AM
franklin_m

The organization's HQ, a location with a world class museum, and flying fields that support the NATS. It's money well spent. Other than a few select complaints, it's not an issue.
Just pointing out where their priorities lie. Where majority of members regularly fly received 1/5th what Muncie got.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Actually you don't know where their priorities are, you are taking one piece of a puzzle and reducing it down to one conclusion. There is only so much money to spread around, and the whole EC makes those decisions every year. In 2015 they gave more out to fields. As with any decision they make, it will not please everyone.

Also.. you're using one data point here....what did Muncie get all the other years, not just one year.

Last edited by porcia83; 09-23-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 AM
franklin_m

Actually you don't know where their priorities are, you are taking one piece of a puzzle and reducing it down to one conclusion. There is only so much money to spread around, and the whole EC makes those decisions every year. In 2015 they gave more out to fields. As with any decision they make, it will not please everyone.

Also.. you're using one data point here....what did Muncie get all the other years, not just one year.
The fact remains that AMA EC decided to spend five times as much money upgrading fields at Muncie than they spent on all of the club fields combined. And those other club fields are where the overwhelming majority of AMA members fly regularly.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:13 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The fact remains that AMA EC decided to spend five times as much money upgrading fields at Muncie than they spent on all of the club fields combined. And those other club fields are where the overwhelming majority of AMA members fly regularly.
Right...so in ONE instance they allotted more for Muncie than other fields, and this can be reduced down to the conclusion that their priorities aren't in the right placee. The fields needed to be repaired and maintained...not doing that would have probably resulted in more repairs later. I think that was a proactive decision on their part.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason there are no regional flying sites remotely comparable to the one at Muncie is because the AMA brass doesn't want any other venues that might compete with their white elephant for hosting events that bring in the revenues to cover the costs of owning it. Of course they are spending a lot of money on it, continuously.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:55 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
The reason there are no regional flying sites remotely comparable to the one at Muncie is because the AMA brass doesn't want any other venues that might compete with their white elephant for hosting events that bring in the revenues to cover the costs of owning it. Of course they are spending a lot of money on it, continuously.
Quite a deal for folks who live there. In my area, club dues are $100 or more a year, for grass fields. Folks who work at HQ get first class facility and no club dues! Wonder how many of staff don't pay annual AMA membership dues either!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:58 AM
franklin_m

As for the spending outside of Muncie vs Muncie, I was not able to find specifics in the minutes for Muncie spending other than in 2016. Similarly, flying site grants were not consistently reported in the minutes either. In fact I found totals only for years 2016, 2013, 2009, and 2004. Perhaps the consistent absence of complete information is to obfuscate the allocation of dollars, perhaps just sloppy minutes recording, or outright omission. Regardless, its not easy to find the information. Why is it so difficult to find out how member's money is being spent?

If you know where I can go to get detailed info on money spent at Muncie vs. money spent outside Muncie (for flying site work/improvements/etc.), please let me know.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
rcmiket

Fair enough. They did give clubs $23,000. In the same minutes, they mentioned spending five times that for two projects at Muncie flying sites. How an organization allocates it's scarce dollars is a direct representation of their priorities. $23K for where majority of members fly; $126K for Muncie.

I always get a kick out of the minutes when they say how much they given clubs ( when posted but it's less per grant than in the past) but the sky's the limit when it comes to the Munice site. I'll get some numbers and post them when I find them.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing there's a site I'll never see or no less use. I wonder just what percentage of paying members even have been to or used the site.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-23-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:31 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I always get a kick out of the minutes when they say how much they given clubs ( when posted but it's less per grant than in the past) but the sky's the limit when it comes to the Munice site. I'll get some numbers and post them when I find them.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing there's a site I'll never see or no less use. I wonder just what percentage of paying members even have been to or used the site.

Mike
I'd love to see the AMA ask members that question in a formal poll. I doubt that'll ever happen though.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Wait...so the alternative would be to have multiple flying sites across the country that still would only serve a limited amount of people? I can just about hear the outrage and that expenditure. Did I miss the part where events can't be held locally on an as needed basis. Nall, NEAT, SEFF, Warbirds...etc etc.

There's a reason it's called HQ......it's singular. And of course upkeep and maintenance are needed, is this a surprise?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

Quite a deal for folks who live there. In my area, club dues are $100 or more a year, for grass fields. Folks who work at HQ get first class facility and no club dues! Wonder how many of staff don't pay annual AMA membership dues either!
As for the spending outside of Muncie vs Muncie, I was not able to find specifics in the minutes for Muncie spending other than in 2016. Similarly, flying site grants were not consistently reported in the minutes either. In fact I found totals only for years 2016, 2013, 2009, and 2004. Perhaps the consistent absence of complete information is to obfuscate the allocation of dollars, perhaps just sloppy minutes recording, or outright omission. Regardless, its not easy to find the information. Why is it so difficult to find out how member's money is being spent?

If you know where I can go to get detailed info on money spent at Muncie vs. money spent outside Muncie (for flying site work/improvements/etc.), please let me know.
It's not difficult to get information, Google is a wonderful thing. So is say, asking someone from the AMA. I think they like talking about how much money they hand out to clubs, even if someone wants to use that data to try to compare money spent at Muncie. That's sort of a meaningless comparison, at least to me.
Yes, because you can't find it, it's a cover up. Seriously. Literally one click on Google finds this.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/fly...ers-announced/

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ers-announced/

Of course the way they communicate the information just might have changed over say, the last 20 years.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
So they do in fact give money out to clubs, but not the complaint is it's not as much as before. As for who uses the flying site, well, that's simple. lots of people do. Nothing stopping you or I from going. It's a world class operation we should all be proud to have.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:53 PM
franklin_m

It's not difficult to get information, Google is a wonderful thing. So is say, asking someone from the AMA. I think they like talking about how much money they hand out to clubs, even if someone wants to use that data to try to compare money spent at Muncie. That's sort of a meaningless comparison, at least to me.
Yes, because you can't find it, it's a cover up. Seriously. Literally one click on Google finds this.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/fly...ers-announced/

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ers-announced/

Of course the way they communicate the information just might have changed over say, the last 20 years.
While Google may be a wonderful thing, I can't help but notice the absence of any total expenditure information from either of those two examples. Wasn't the question how to find out how much money? Yet you give examples of press releases that don't list the dollars.

Again, why is it so difficult to find out how our money is being spent?
Old 09-23-2016, 03:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

While Google may be a wonderful thing, I can't help but notice the absence of any total expenditure information from either of those two examples. Wasn't the question how to find out how much money? Yet you give examples of press releases that don't list the dollars.

Again, why is it so difficult to find out how our money is being spent?
Because you don't know how to look for it? You asked..I provided
Old 09-23-2016, 03:27 PM
rcmiket

Rantoul, IL – This item is for discussion only. This is where the Indoor Nats will be held. An AMA member came to AMA with a proposal to purchase the Rantoul facility. It is an old hangar with a 98-foot ceiling; would be appropriate for Indoor FF and Indoor RC. The city currently owns it; the sale price is around 250k. Renovations to the facility could be as high as 2mil. It is on an airport and there are no zoning requirements. The ED would like to let staff do more research on the project; it is a historical building and there may be an opportunity for a historical grant; could also negotiate with the city. Maintenance of the site would need to be considered. Once more research is completed, the ED will come back to Council with more information.

From the last EC minutes .
While not a done deal yet this is on the table. Looks like a possible 2 million + deal.I don't recall any year or multiple years were local club grants added up to that.

Mike
Old 09-23-2016, 03:33 PM
rcmiket

There was $23,025.70 total in qualified grants; some applicants did not qualify or had received a grant last year and were not eligible. It was requested that the excess from the fund be set aside to develop a web interface for online application. This has not yet been discussed with Headquarters personnel; possibly an outsource project.
It was moved, seconded, and approved by unanimous acclamation to approve the Flying Site Grant Committee recommendation to award grants totaling $22,025.70. Note: the balance will be set aside and discussed at a later date.

From the April meeting. this was spent on local clubs

BUT

PADCOM (Appendix)

Site 4 – R. Cameron reported that Council authorized 16k for a well; the work is currently in progress.
Site 3 runway – E & B Paving did core samples. They submitted a bid for grinding the top of the runway to make a rough texture so the new asphalt would adhere and applying another 1.5 inches of asphalt to the entire surface. Their bid was $86,700. It was noted that there is an area that is extremely wet and water seeps up through the runway; trenching and drainage should be done to preserve the new asphalt. The ED asked Cameron if he was confident if AMA spends this money that the base is adequate; Cameron reported that E & B Paving felt it was. The project will be funded completely by member donations.

MOTION III: Moved by G. Fitch (EVP) and seconded by T. Jesky (VII) that Council approve the Site 3 improvement/paving as submitted by PADCOM April 16, 2016; additional funding was approved for site drainage. Maximum allowed is $110,000.
This will be spent on the Muncie site.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-23-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:37 PM
rcmiket

Take off And Grow Program (TAG)
The Grant Program is $22,000 in total; this is $2,000 for each of the 11 Districts. It came to E. Williams’ attention that in the last cycle there were two districts that had no applicants. The program was developed to encourage our members and clubs to promote modeling as a positive recreational activity to those in their communities; intended to indoctrinate and welcome the general public to our hobby.

Current policy is that if not all districts have applicants, the unspent funds are not dispersed amongst the districts that have applicants.

January while not flying assistance grants they did do the TAG program.

Mike
Old 09-23-2016, 03:40 PM
rcmiket

a. PADCOM
Randy Cameron reported PADCOM would like Council to release funds that have been set aside for improvements and development to the IAC. Next year they would like to seed and landscape Site 4 (cost about $7,600) as well as put in a well and pump (about $6,500). For now the runway will remain where it is; it can’t be moved much farther to the east because there is a significant dropoff. In future development, PADCOM was asked to consider manipulation of the runway to allow events to start earlier in the day. Council discussed a noise issue pertaining to a particular group and the time they start flying. The President reported HQ has a policy regarding start times that was instituted when the property was first purchased; HQ should review this policy for possible revision.
MOTION III: Moved by R. Cameron (VI) and seconded by J. Marsh (IV) to release funds set aside for site development in the amount of $16,000 for development/improvements to Site 4. This includes seeding, landscaping, installation of a well and pump. MOTION passed unanimously. (NAA rep was out of room at time of vote.)

From October. I could keep going but I've really got better things to do,

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-23-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Rantoul, IL – This item is for discussion only. This is where the Indoor Nats will be held. An AMA member came to AMA with a proposal to purchase the Rantoul facility. It is an old hangar with a 98-foot ceiling; would be appropriate for Indoor FF and Indoor RC. The city currently owns it; the sale price is around 250k. Renovations to the facility could be as high as 2mil. It is on an airport and there are no zoning requirements. The ED would like to let staff do more research on the project; it is a historical building and there may be an opportunity for a historical grant; could also negotiate with the city. Maintenance of the site would need to be considered. Once more research is completed, the ED will come back to Council with more information.

From the last EC minutes .
While not a done deal yet this is on the table. Looks like a possible 2 million + deal.I don't recall any year or multiple years were local club grants added up to that.

Mike
Why would they? Clubs are responsible for keeping the clubs alive...not the AMA. You do realize there are limits to the grants?
Old 09-23-2016, 03:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

a. PADCOM
Randy Cameron reported PADCOM would like Council to release funds that have been set aside for improvements and development to the IAC. Next year they would like to seed and landscape Site 4 (cost about $7,600) as well as put in a well and pump (about $6,500). For now the runway will remain where it is; it can’t be moved much farther to the east because there is a significant dropoff. In future development, PADCOM was asked to consider manipulation of the runway to allow events to start earlier in the day. Council discussed a noise issue pertaining to a particular group and the time they start flying. The President reported HQ has a policy regarding start times that was instituted when the property was first purchased; HQ should review this policy for possible revision.
MOTION III: Moved by R. Cameron (VI) and seconded by J. Marsh (IV) to release funds set aside for site development in the amount of $16,000 for development/improvements to Site 4. This includes seeding, landscaping, installation of a well and pump. MOTION passed unanimously. (NAA rep was out of room at time of vote.)

From October. I could keep going but I've really got better things to do,

Mike
Seems like you were able to find lots of information on where AMA money is going. It's not that hard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.