Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

I Bought A Traxxas Revo 3.3 Today - Did I Get A Good Deal? (Pics Inside)

Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

I Bought A Traxxas Revo 3.3 Today - Did I Get A Good Deal? (Pics Inside)

Old 09-25-2016, 02:23 AM
Pejaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Bought A Traxxas Revo 3.3 Today - Did I Get A Good Deal? (Pics Inside)

Hi everyone,

I have been out of the wonderful world of RC Nitro trucks for almost 10 years now, however on my way out from I remember the Traxxas Revo was the hottest latest and greatest RC on the market.
Today browsing Gumtree I came across what I thought was a really good deal and jumped at it, however given I have been away from the hobby for so long, just looking for a little re-assurance on whether or not I actually did well.

This Revo was listed for $300AUD and from what I am told is a Revo 3.3 with almost $3,000 in hop-ups/upgrades installed. I picked it up for $200 AUD

Whilst there is no way for me to validate the upgrades as they weren't all noted and obviously and didn't come with any receipts. From what little I do know, I have noticed the following aftermarket parts installed

OS 21TM Revo Engine
Pro-Line Bow-Tie Tires
Rpm Suspensions Arms
Rpm Front Bumper
Red Anodized Aluminum Toe Links

I'm sure you probably all know a lot more about my truck than I do so feel free to note any other significant mods that you can pick up in the photos.

Some other observations; I noticed the Transmitter is an older style Traxxas transmitter that uses the oldschool crystals system and metal extendable antenna. So I'm assuming my revo is an older style. Is there much of a difference between this 3.3 Revo and the new 3.3 Revo?

One more question, The RX Battery is toast, it charges on the traxxas charger for 5-10 minutes and the charger blinks then goes solid as if its fully charged. I think I will need a new RX pack but I don't know which ones will fit and where to buy a decent priced replacement. I have also uploaded a picture of the stock Traxxas rx charger so preferable one compatible with that charger would be great.

Thanks so much in advance everyone, looking forward to your replies.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_185139.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	2182758   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_185231.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	2182759   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_185305.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	4.67 MB
ID:	2182760  
Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 AM
Pejaco

Sorry about the double post everyone but here I forgot to upload a photo of the RX Charger.

For anyone that is interest I have also attachedba photo of what it looked like before a little tlc. The engine wouldn't turn over, wheels were locked and the back end of the revo was covered in caked oil and dirt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_202516.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	2182761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_202848.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	2182762  
Old 09-25-2016, 01:12 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'd never buy a used nitro RC car personally, because you have no idea how bad the engine was tuned, how hard it was run, and how it was broken in, if at all. Not much of a difference between the two, maybe some small parts, but yours looks pretty well upgraded, so no problem there.

It seems to also have some Tekno RC parts on it, as well some metal-bodied shocks, a metal muffler, and a larger gas tank. For cleaning it, some Dynamite Nitro Force or some other RC nitro cleaner and a brush would work magic. As far as an RX battery goes, I would suggest a Venom 1600 MAh flat 5 cell pack

http://www.venompower.com/collection...r-nimh-battery
Old 09-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Pejaco

Thanks for your reply. It all looks in really good nick. The battery pack just needed a few cycles before it came back to life and held a decent amount of charge and the engine just needed to be heated up and cleaned and it's now good as new. I also got a temp gauge with it and the original 3.3 engine which was only just broken in so I have that as a spare to.

Im gonna start her up this afternoon and see how she runs. I suspect a good tune up and shell be right. How much do you think a revo of similiar features and upgrades should sell for? Did i over pay?
Old 09-25-2016, 05:44 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

A lot more than 200 AUD, thats for sure! You got a deal. I'd sell that for at least $450 USD all cleaned up.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Pejaco

Awesome. Only problem is i did clean it up already before the first lot of photos! Hahah. Guess I got some work to do. I keep finding hidden upgrades though which is cool. The Servo has been upgraded as ot is not running the dual stock servo set up and I took the wheels off and it has blue aluminum hex nuts as well.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:46 AM
The Saylors

That's not a terrible deal. The transmitter doesn't always indicate the age, he may have stepped on his good one and just had that one laying around. either way its a cheap and easy upgrade and not much changed with the truck. Even if the worst happens and the motor goes down the drain its pretty easy to rebuild them. Carb will likely be the biggest issue you will have on that truck if you run the 3.3. Traxxas carbs kinda blow especially on the 3.3. Should be a fun truck if the os motor keeps going. My cousin has two revos and loves both of them aside from the carb issues.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Pejaco

I reset her back to factory settings, started her up. The old owner also gave me his tools and spares and amongst his stuff was a temp gauge. So I warmed the engine up, tuned her in and as i started leaning the os engine out it really came alive. I really wasnt expecting it to handle like it did and scream along at 40mph so easily. What a blast!!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 AM
The Saylors

yep once their tuned they are nuts lol just keep an eye on temps and tear it up!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

There really is t much difference between the newer and older Revo's. The newer ones have the 2.4 radio, 17mm wheel hex 150cc fuel tank, and the Platinum Edition servo and radio boxes. You do have an older version with the bigger radio boxes, 14mm wheel hex, smaller 125cc fuel tank and I'd say the 75mhz radio is original. Either way it has the 3.3 chassis. Check the rocker arms, 3.3 should be P2 rockers

No way the previous owner had $3000 in it, not unless things are absurdly expensive down there. Looks like RPM arms all around and front bumper, Traxxas Tubes throughout, Tekno wing mount, Proline Mambo wheels with Bowties, the engine and a failsafe. Those shock bodies are stock, the upgraded Traxxas versions are hard anodized bodies with TiNi shafts. Either way you got a complete truck with some nice upgrades for a good price, the fact it actually runs is almost a bonus as used nitro can be a crapshoot.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Pejaco

Awesome thanks for your help. I have a few revo related questions now that I have had the chance to run it a bit...

My traxxas 2055 throttle servo on my revo 3.3 intermittently stopped working for a few hours then comes back to life and started working again and now it is dead. Basically what happened was when it died it just stopped responding but my steering servo still worked and the truck is definately still in range when not responding and still steering)

Does this mean my servo is cactus? Or could it be the receiver or the failsafe playing silly buggers? (Fail safe isnt kicking in and locking the brakes either) I would run an iso test and try a new servo but i dont have any laying around lol.

If the servo is toast whats a reasonable priced replacement/upgrade?

Also I have the choice between 3 pipes for my 21 tm engine, out of the following 3 pipes which one would you prefer to run?

Rb tm rv 01
Traxxas resonator
Traxxas blue aluminum tuned pipe

I also want to upgrade my oldschool am radio with the extendable antenna to a cheap but decent replacement. Currently looking at the 2.4 ghz tq radios and receiver Can i just pick up a 2ch tq radio from ebay like this one with a 2ch or 3ch receiver? (How many channels do i need)http://m.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TQ-2-4...105?nav=SEARCH I figured it should work as my revo has a foc and not using opti drive so I can get away with less channels (2). Any reason why it wont work? If so will the the older 3.3 revo servos and battery pack plug and play? Or is there more to do with upgrading radios?

Last edited by Pejaco; 10-07-2016 at 10:56 PM.