Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ASP2, IBU2 or IBU3 Recommendations and opinions

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ASP2, IBU2 or IBU3 Recommendations and opinions

Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Alaa74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP2, IBU2 or IBU3 Recommendations and opinions

hi tankers

Pros and. Cons? Recommendations and opinions
which is the better one to strart with, hence 'it's my first time to switch from stock
thanks
Old 10-26-2016, 09:37 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi. Alot of people will come here and will recommend you the IBU 3, it is much popular.

Said that, If I were you I would buy the ASP 2. I had IBU and sold it to buy more ASPs. That says all.

Take a look here. WAY WAY WAY more options and sound quality than his competitors.
http://rctanksaustralia.com/guides/index.php?title=Asp2
Old 10-26-2016, 10:37 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know the ASP2 but seems like it does require an additional sound board called Juno (which ALL its competitors do integrate), and no modern tank (Leo2A6, Chally) soundset is available.

It does have a lot of proprietary IR functions, tho, but they won't be used in any regular tournament.

Last edited by borealis; 10-26-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:13 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by borealis
I don't know the ASP2 but seems like it does require an additional sound board called Juno (which ALL its competitors do integrate), and no modern tank (Leo2A6, Chally) soundset is available.

It does have a lot of proprietary IR functions, tho, but they won't be used in any regular tournament.
ASP comes with Juno already fitted on it.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 PM
kultakala

I was in the same situation, and was torn between ASP2, IBU3 and TK60.
Only thing i can say is that i didnt like the sound of the IBU3 when used with Abrams sound, other sounds may be different.
The sound quality of the ASP2 seems to be very good, the Juno board is within the package as far as i know. It is just that the sound is not directly integrated to the board itself.
Problem with the IBU3 was that the transitions between idle and revving sound were escalating instead of a smooth transition.
The ASP2 had some similar problem but this is also only for the abrams sound which is available for the ASP2 as Leopard sounds are.
I now go with the TK60...
So between IBU3 and ASP2 i would tend to the ASP2 but keep in mind that you may need a specific radio (FrSky X9D or Taranis, etc.) because the configuration is virtually done via config file in the radio.
Dont know if a standard 4 channel radio will work with the ASP2.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:40 PM
Rocketgamerpie

Can either the TK60 or the Asp 2 output to 2 escs for motor drivers? just curious for my own shopping reasons lol.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:18 AM
kultakala

Just had a look at the ASP2 sounds... seems that abrams and challenger is available but no leopard yet.

Not sure about external ESC, the IBU3 supports external tracks ESC.
Didnt find any info for TK60 and ASP2 so probably they dont support that !?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:26 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been making sounds for the benedini - ibu2 -ibu3 and the latest Clark TK60 . Atm I have not owned ore made sets for the ASP ore the Elmod Board .

So , and even if video's don't do the Boards any justice , I'll include a few of my sound video's first.

Benedini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LORIoDMZes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU8bDxs5Cag IBU2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHTHy5ovmzM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKOYBv_qhSM ibu3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2YcZ8u4Uk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LY99dAb9wk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3qKhfLoYQU Clark TK60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou2vaODJK2c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7WpaW_6lU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKPw3kwzVs
I don't do batteling and mostly I'm a backyard driver . for me pri1 is how well the Board is on transitions on each soundstep , it has in a way become a hobby within the hobby for me to fiddel with makin soundset's

Other , is the ease of setup , and that it suports the use of the PDSG gearbox .

By now all the boards mentioned have support for this gearbox ( elmod is soon, ore is allready ? )

as I dont own the asp ore the elmod , but I have several of the IBU3 and even more clark's tk 60 , I will say that on setup IBU3 wins( with pc software and setup guide as you go along) both uses USB to pc setup , on footprint, the clark wins, on sound, tricky as they are are both really good, but the clark have a hair' better transition on the revup-engine step , but overall pritty much alike . Both are continuously updated , and updates via usb to pc

Last edited by sollie; 10-27-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 AM
kultakala

The transitions between idle/revving/idle seem to be quite good on the IBU3 with diesel sounds, but not with the abrams... maybe i can upload a video from my own test later.
I also had the issue that the engine startup sound was played after powering on the tank, but after stopping the engine and starting it again via the radio it didnt play the startup sound but the idle motor sound immediately.

Looking forward to get my TK60G2
Old 10-27-2016, 12:51 AM
sollie

Originally Posted by kultakala
The transitions between idle/revving/idle seem to be quite good on the IBU3 with diesel sounds, but not with the abrams... maybe i can upload a video from my own test later.
I also had the issue that the engine startup sound was played after powering on the tank, but after stopping the engine and starting it again via the radio it didnt play the startup sound but the idle motor sound immediately.

Looking forward to get my TK60G2
hada few of those glitches my self. Not to big of an issue , hehe. But it seems the Abrams is hard to make really good, ore as good as in real life , almost only one big long turbine sound all together .
Old 10-27-2016, 01:14 AM
kultakala

Yes, i obviously chose a tank which is not very popular and has a not-so-easy sound.
But according to this video the TK60 is quite good at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHhvI4OBckk
Old 10-27-2016, 01:18 AM
kultakala

But back to topic... hard to decide between ASP2 and IBU3 when using a diesel engine sound.

As said, the setup is easier with the IBU3 but more versatile with the ASP2.
If a gun stabilization is planned IBU3 will have that in the future, the ASP2 probably wont.
ASP2 can play more additional sounds...
Old 10-27-2016, 02:23 AM
sollie

Originally Posted by kultakala
But back to topic... hard to decide between ASP2 and IBU3 when using a diesel engine sound.

As said, the setup is easier with the IBU3 but more versatile with the ASP2.
If a gun stabilization is planned IBU3 will have that in the future, the ASP2 probably wont.
ASP2 can play more additional sounds...
ibu 3 will have gun stab sys.Same With TK60 g2

no support on Clark for external esc

Last edited by sollie; 10-27-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:37 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can turn any servo operated elevation gun to be "stabilized" using this sub pitch unit. I replaced the stock tammy unit with this on my Leo 2a6. Has adjustable sensitivity.

http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalo...oducts_id=2555
Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Only issue is you can't switch it in an out
Old 10-27-2016, 07:10 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup your right, but if you mount it in an accessible area you can turn the sensitivity all the way down to essentially turn it off. In the tammy leo 2 it's on top of the elevation servo in the turret which is accessed to put the battery in. Whenever I put a batt in I can just turn it up or down if I'm IR battling or not. Just an option for those wanting stabilization, for me its just novelty. Not very effective in IR battle, barrel moves around too much and no matter the quality of the gyro there is still a bit of lag.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check into ElMod before making a decision on a unit.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:41 AM
sollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcckdOSuiy0&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IPs-K_63c
Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM
yellowshaker

Nice Sollie. That's what I'm talking about!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:03 AM
sollie

Hmm , not bad, but the elmod soundset is a little 'busy' in my ears. But as with ale the others you can build your own and change them.

btw , love that kv2 clip on your page man
Old 10-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Once again, I'm wondering if the OP is still with us.

You guys are missing something very important in his question - it's his first time with a hobby grade board. The IBU3 requires programming it with your computer before you can use it. I believe the TK60 (which he didn't ask about) needs some wiring mods. The Asp definitely needs some major rewiring.

The IBU2 is completely plug and play, and if you do want to change something like smoker proportionality it's not hard to do with the micro SD card. Ian has the IBU2 and also the thingie to plug the SD card into your PC, but I don't know where you live, Alaa74, so you might want to check with Tanque (a forum member here) if you're in the states. Both Ian Judge and Tanque (Jerry) are good guys and will provide great support if you buy an IBU from them. Personally, I always buy from Ian, but that's mainly because Jerry wasn't a dealer when I bought my first IBU2, and Ian has been very good to me.

The Asp is a terrific board, and Kevin Grannum is a phenomenal guy who knows more about IR tech than anybody else I've ever come in contact with, but the Asp is better as a second or third attempt (don't try to fool yourself into thinking you'll only have one hobby grade tank) because it does require a certain skill level. If you've ever built a model airplane kit, the Asp is a skill level 5 or better, can ya dig it? Great board, though, and I have two, with model matching and I love them to pieces, but my skills ain't the best and I'm easily frustrated so I'm glad I didn't try the Asp right out of the gate. The IBU2 just requires changing the plugs and it will work, where the more complicated boards (as great as they are) are definitely more difficult to get a handle on until you really know your way around the inside of your tank.

So to answer your question, my recommendation, as a 4 year RC Tanker with more than 20 tanks, owner of IBUs, Asps and Clark boards, I say go with the IBU2. But that's just my opinion, and we all know opinions are like butts, everybody's got one and most of 'em stink.

And welcome aboard, my friend. I'm also known as Gary or Max, do you have a handle besides Alaa74? I'll never remember that.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:36 PM
yellowshaker

Thanks Sollie. Yes I have been enjoying these tank builds almost 10 years now.

Crius I agree it is nice to stay with a vendor who treats you well. As for your opinion, well...I still say try an ElMod.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

One day I will try an Elmod how easy are they to hook up? Can you take it out of the box and plug it into the tank and drive the tank without having to rewire anything or do any programming to the board? That's why I recommended the IBU2, because you can do that. Just plug it in, hook up your receiver and you're driving down the road.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Alaa74

Crius
thank you for your detailed response.
I believe you have a YouTube channel called Gary Hoff?
if so, then am one of your subscribers, like your videos and enjoyed them.

i do have few questions regarding IBU2/IBU3 and ASP
1. Which one has the best driving capability, like a real tank or close? and if you would rate them from 1-10?
2. Is there a lipo cut off in ASP?
3. I like the MG firing effect in IR MODE in ASP and how it bounce on the other tank, is this feature available in IBU BOARDS?
4. I've seen Kevin using a tiger 1 firing canon while driving! Can this be done on ASP WHILE track recoil IS ACTIVE AND Can we do this with IBUs?
5. MY name is Alaa you can call me Alaa without 74, this way you don't remember me that am not in the 20th.

Thank you Crius and thank you all for your replies
Alaa
Old 10-27-2016, 06:28 PM
yellowshaker

Crius it is simple to install. Check out the pdf file. Elmod.eu
It is nothing hard to do at all and it also has the ability to be programmed through the free software via a usb which is supplied. You can use it as it, or use the programming utility to make the tank drive exactly how you like, including smoker programming, barrel elevations peed, traverse, all driving controls and such. It is the most complete board out there. Far and away better than anything else, which is why I have been using them since the first year in the hobby. The software can even be updated via the usb if they make any changes to it. Very nice units.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.