Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New JR tx battery preparation

Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 PM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JR tx battery preparation

I've tried various search terms without success so:

Just got a new nimh battery for my X9303 and I've been told (by seller) it needs to be slow charged/discharged 3x in order to maximize it's potential before regular usage. I've got it on my jr wall wart for an initial charge (2000mah on a 110mah wallwart). I know this is more than 1/10C but that's their recommendation.

I've got a futaba & hitec plug wired for my cycler but nothing for a JR plug. Found one possibility but they want $20 for two plugs and 6" of wire&amp. Not gonna happen.

I found this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jr-to-eh...-2pcs-bag.html that looks it might work but I have no idea what an "EH" connector is. It looks like hitec but not sure.

Question is: can I plug my JR battery (yes--into the white connector) into this and connect the other end (the black connector--EH?) to my hitec-with-banana-plugs into my cycler?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:53 PM
voyager_663rd

for some reason the system won't let me edit my post so:

it's charging at less than (not more than as I posted earlier) 1/10C which is ok.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:59 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Voyager, you better check your polarities before you start charging. The charge rate should be one tenth the battery capacity. The charge time should be about twelve hours. How are you going to discharge the battery during the cycles? Dan
Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
voyager_663rd

NOBS batteries suggest (with these 2000's) that 120-150mah slow charge is what to use as a forming charge (3X) (subsequent charges at 1/10C which is what I normally use). My triton2 can handle it at 100mah (with the following discharge at 500mah).

The wall wart charges at 150 but I can't do the discharge with the triton as I don't have a jr connector. Hence my question about the patch cord I linked to at hk.

Len

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 02-25-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:22 PM
All Day Dan

I too have a Triton 2. That 2000mah is a whopper of a battery. I use 700mah batteries in my Futaba transmitters and was not aware that the Triton had that limitation. Can't you cycle the pack outside the transmitter with the normal JR connector? You should also look into a charger with more capacity if you a going to continue to use that size battery. Dan.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 AM
voyager_663rd

There is no problem with the triton. It can handle the size of the battery.

The problem is I don't have a JR connector to hook the triton up to the JR battery when it's outside of the tx so I can cycle it
Can't you cycle the pack outside the transmitter with the normal JR connector?
That's why I'm asking about the HK patch cord I linked to in my first post.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:47 AM
All Day Dan

Try this. Do you have a servo extension wire? Remove the wires from the connector that does not plug in to the battery. Remove one inch of the insulation from the red and black wires. You can discard the white wire. Put the bare wires in to banana openings in the Triton. Insert some kind of wood dowel in to the openings to secure the wires. Dan.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM
voyager_663rd

I think I just found out the problem --"my wording"! All these years I thought the male end had the pins and the female end "received" them. Turns out I was wrong.

The female end has the pins/male end has the "receiving" end (ie holes for the pins to go into).

No wonder I couldn't convey what I needed to do.

I need to connect a male (no pins) connector with wire/banana plug to my cycler so that I can plug in my battery (with the female--with pins) to it.

Opposite to the real world was my error.

Just have to find the female ends now. And now I understand what you were trying to say. My bad.

Thanks

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 02-26-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 PM
All Day Dan

You posted a nice image of the battery pack but left out the connector. Take another image with the connector. Dan
Old 02-26-2017, 03:47 PM
voyager_663rd

Old battery/same connector. This is the "male" end . That's what my problem was (thought that should be the female--who knew? Not me )
Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 PM
All Day Dan

Now I see your problem and you do have a problem. All this time I thought there was a JR connector on the battery. I never saw that kind of connector before. I can not be of any help. Dan.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 PM
All Day Dan

I'm still thinking. Tell Steve at NoBS what your problem is. Ask him for a mating connector with a few inches of wire on it. You can work it from there. Dan.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:23 AM
voyager_663rd

I think it's called a JST (SX or SH: not sure which) 2 pin connector. (Japan Solderless Terminal). Cost is prohibitive (when you add shipping) to get that from NOBS. Should have thought of that at time of battery purchase . I may email him about it in any case (just needs an envelope and stamp ya know )

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 02-27-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM
pilotpete2

The label on the new battery clearly states slow charge at 120-150mA. Your JR wall wart is perfect for forming and charging that new pack, forget about using the Triton. Fast charging at 1A, as the label also shows is not as good for the battery as the slow/forming charge. The battery will give better service life if you stick with the slow charge.

A transmitter battery is cycled by using it, no need to use the Triton. If your JR 9303 has a system timer that logs the total time the transmitter is on, and can be reset after charging the battery. This will give you a decent idea as to the capacity the battery is delivering.

Sadly, the RC hobby is a mess as far as connector gender goes. Regardless of what anyone in the RC hobby thinks. Gender is always determined by the contact, not the connector housing. I started with a Futaba radio many years ago that used the old G connector, that really was male, so how can a modern servo connector be male. Think about it
Pete
Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM
voyager_663rd

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
The label on the new battery clearly states slow charge at 120-150mA. Your JR wall wart is perfect for forming and charging that new pack, forget about using the Triton. Fast charging at 1A, as the label also shows is not as good for the battery as the slow/forming charge. The battery will give better service life if you stick with the slow charge.

A transmitter battery is cycled by using it, no need to use the Triton. If your JR 9303 has a system timer that logs the total time the transmitter is on, and can be reset after charging the battery. This will give you a decent idea as to the capacity the battery is delivering.

Sadly, the RC hobby is a mess as far as connector gender goes. Regardless of what anyone in the RC hobby thinks. Gender is always determined by the contact, not the connector housing. I started with a Futaba radio many years ago that used the old G connector, that really was male, so how can a modern servo connector be male. Think about it
Pete
And that's what I'm using (wall wart). My initial post refers to NoBS site about "pack forming" with a super low charge/discharge 3X.

The 9303 has a "total system timer" but nothing that I can find either to set that back to zero or a battery timer. Do you know how to reset the system timer?

I just figured the source (NoBS) would know better how to treat a new battery. Can only do what I have the equipment to do it with.

BTW, I've NEVER charged anything at 1C. Never found the need to.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:50 PM
voyager_663rd

Think I found it (thanks to your reference to it. However, it is NOT for the tx battery. It appears to be for the particular model in use at the time.

Timer – Timer SystemThe X9303 2.4 contains a Timer System that contains two timers. One is an integrated timer that keeps track of total transmitter-on time for the model and it is displayed on the Main display. The other timer can be configured as a Countdown timer or as a Stopwatch. This timer also appears on the Main display when active and can be started, stopped and reset from the Main display. It is a good idea to use the Countdown timer as a reminder that it is time to land so as not to run out of fuel.Highlight and select INH under TIMER and then select DOWN-T. Use the Selector to set the countdown start time. Once the timer is set, TIM will appear on the Maindisplay in the lower left corner. Pressing the button next toTIM on the Main display starts and stops the timer while pressing the button next to CLR resets the time to the programmed value.

2. To Reset the Integrated Timer, highlight and select the time under INTEG-T and Push [CLR]=0:00 appears on the display. Press the CLR button to the left of the display to reset the integrated timer.

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 02-27-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have some old 6v nimh batteries I use to run my fuel fill pump for my jets on the fuel can. I still charge them slow even on my 4X charger so they last.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 PM
voyager_663rd

Slow charge is NOT the problem. Slow charge OUTSIDE of the tx is.

Do you use a JR connector on that fuel pump battery? No, it's futaba/hitec.

Hong Kong sells male/female connectors 20/package. I need one.

I'll just use the wart to (slow) charge it in the tx and do the (slow) discharge via normal usage of the tx. No cycling possible (per mfg for "forming").

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:42 PM
grizzly59

I use a charger with the white JR battery plug all the time./ Take and servo wire and cut the plastic to bare the pins. The pins will insert into the white plug easily. All you have to do is to make sure you don't mess up. Make sure you plug the pins into the white plug you keep red to red and black to black. I messed up once and melted the battery. Lucky there was no fire. You can cut the other end of the servo extension to convert to your charger with any type plug it needs. Hope I am reading your problem right but his is how I used a charger to charge a batttery that has the white JR plug.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM
voyager_663rd

Ah, that might be just the ticket Mr Grizzly. Thanks for resurrecting an idea I had but had discarded.

Now, I know I've got a spare extention around here somewhere I can use