Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Great Planes Seawind

Old 09-03-2005, 02:11 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Seawind

Has anyone gotten the new Great Planes "Seawind" on the water & in the air yet ? I've got a Lanier Mariner 40, (OS .61 FX) Sig Four Star 60, (OS .91 FS) and Avistar, (OS .46 FX). All float flyers. I love 'em all. When I saw that new Seawind my heart really started pumping. Can't wait to get one. When the budget allows. Sure do want to hear how it performs. Please let us all know-anyone who has one. Thanks-John--The Wine Country Flyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88131.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	319067  
Old 09-03-2005, 10:14 PM
dgswheels

Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

i have one on order, but the news i here from great planes is that they are due to receive them around october 4th. i also have the retracts ordered and they are due anyday.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Well keep us posted. There's quite a bunch out here waiting to hear how it goes together, flys, and just everything about it. My birthday is in two weeks. My wife won't say, but I think she's going to the LHS to order one. I (Accidently, ha ha) left the flyer from Tower on the kitchen table folded to that page and mentioned it a few times. I hope that works. Anyway-again--keep us posted with pics if possible. Thanks-John
Old 09-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think she's going to the LHS to order one.
what a lucky guy []

WHERE TO GET RC HOBBY TOLERANT WIVES ???
Old 09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

I've got one coming in as soon as they're ready. Planning on using an OS 91 fsr 2-stroke in it. Can't wait!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:44 PM
dgswheels

now greatplanes website shows sept.26th as the date that they will receive the seawind and it will be shipped out immediatly. i sure hope so. i have already finished breaking in the saito 100 and have already received the retracts, now i just need a plane. i have also contacted a full scale seawind pilot for pictures of his plane so i can paint it to match so that i can fly the seawind in scale competitions. i am also thinking of doing a build thread if there is any interest.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i am also thinking of doing a build thread if there is any interest.
Are you kidding??

Post away!!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
davcoz
My Feedback: (17)

I received interesting information from Great Planes today when I called about using the Seawind with retracts. I was told that you CANNOT fly it off the water when using retracts. They told me that you fly it off the water without gear, or you fly it off land with gear. You can't do both. I was concerned about how you seal up the retracts when you fly it off the water so I called customer service and this was the answer that I got. So for you guys that bought the retracts to use this plane as an amphibian you better check again.

I ordered one and will be using a Saito 100. I will be planning on using it off the water only if the story doesn't change.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Mendes

ORIGINAL: davcoz

I received interesting information from Great Planes today when I called about using the Seawind with retracts. I was told that you CANNOT fly it off the water when using retracts. They told me that you fly it off the water without gear, or you fly it off land with gear. You can't do both. I was concerned about how you seal up the retracts when you fly it off the water so I called customer service and this was the answer that I got. So for you guys that bought the retracts to use this plane as an amphibian you better check again.

I ordered one and will be using a Saito 100. I will be planning on using it off the water only if the story doesn't change.
Some people are going to be pretty upset about this. I'm using it off water only as well, so I don't really care. They need to clarify their product flier though....
Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Wine Country Flyer

Well keep us posted. There's quite a bunch out here waiting to hear how it goes together, flys, and just everything about it. My birthday is in two weeks. My wife won't say, but I think she's going to the LHS to order one. I (Accidently, ha ha) left the flyer from Tower on the kitchen table folded to that page and mentioned it a few times. I hope that works. Anyway-again--keep us posted with pics if possible. Thanks-John
I should print this out and post it in the bedroom. I bidded myself a Yak 87" and my wife was not happy when she saw it showing up via Fed Ex on my birthday.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: davcoz

Actually, you can. Just retract the nose gear, attach the nosewheel cover and seal it with clear tape. Without going through a LOT of difficult work, you can't make the airplane a "true" amphib. You can't take off from land and then land in water or vice-versa. One purpose at a time. If you have retract installed, though, it's only a few minutes change to make the model water-ready.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:03 PM
dgswheels

I AM PISSED! i didn't realize that it was not a true amphibian. even the greatplanes website states that if you buy the optinal retracts that you have total acess to land as well as water. that was the entire point of me ordering the seawind. i wanted to be able to taxi off into the lake, retract the gear and take off from the water. and the land on the water, put the gear down and run up onto the bank. and now that i have spent over $1000.00 including almost 300.00 for the retracts i find out the entire system doesn't do what it was advertised to do. i have called great planes and registered my complaint. i'm sure to no avail. it does say in the tech notes that the front retract has to be covered to fly from water but the tech notes were only added to the website in the past week. i even have looked at the manual online and nowhere in the manual does it say that you can not use the plane as a true amphibian. i have had this plane ordered for over six weeks and have had the retracts for over three weeks. i wish all who have an interest in this plane would call greatplanes and complain. thier phone number is 1-800-637-7660. even on the greatplanes website on the seawind page it states in the very first paragraph that if you purchase the optional retracts you have total access to land and water. this is obviously false advertising if not a total lie. i really have no recourse since i have already bought everything and i have even alreay bought and broke in a saito 100. i hope anyone that already has this plane on order cancels there order immediatly. greatplanes needs to be taught a lesson.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Augie11

I was surprised to see so much interest in the Seawind. I've got one on order and intend to use it off water only. Still, I'm a little disappointed hearing about the retract problem but perhaps the solution provided by the moderator is valid. After several years of float flying every week I've learned it's a good precaution to waterproof any plane as much as possible even if packing tape is not the most aesthetically pleasing approach. In fact the concept of a self-bailing fuselage hints at some degree of water entry! Suggest we all keep an eye out for water entry.

I'd look forward to hearing any flight reports when they become available. Sounds like most of us are planning to put in enough power ---- we need it here in Colorado.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:33 PM
bkpk54

Some one with the right knowledge will surely figure a way to make this beautiful seaplane truly amphibious. One suggestion Why not make it in to a tail-dragger maybe not ? could the water rudder also work with a small tailwheel. Just a wild thought... I Have one coming next wk. Probably will fly only off water.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65567.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	335545  
Old 10-07-2005, 07:02 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: dgswheels

i wanted to be able to taxi off into the lake, retract the gear and take off from the water. and the land on the water, put the gear down and run up onto the bank.
Taxiing on land right into the lake? Unless you time your gear retraction perfectly, you are asking for trouble. Even so, retracting the gear while the wheels are weighted is a bad idea too, an efficient method to destroy the retract servo.

To run up onto the bank, it would be better to do it with bare belly, instead of with landing gear down, which again would be an efficient way of breaking retract.

I think this plane is already heavy without any landing gear. I don't want to degrade its performance by adding 1 pound of weight. I guess you should try to refund the retract, but keep the plane and enjoy it as a good float plane.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:55 AM
PaulG-RC

Mine has arrived so I should get it this week but probably wont fly until next spring ,unless I try it on powder snow.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:59 AM
RCCD-Flyer

I have the plane-Robart retracts-OS 91 four stroke engine. When mounting the engine the instructions indicate on page 7 that the "front of the drive washer (or the back of the spinner) is to be 5-1/8" (130 mm) from the firewall" When I ensured that diminsion was correct, I get a 1/4" gap between the spinner and the cowl. I have sent a "EMail" to Tower Hobbies requesting a confirmation of the diminsions but havn't got a reply as yet. Russell Hope, order # 246940097, Customer # HOPE R48.
Has enyone else had this problem?

Old 10-20-2005, 09:20 AM
PaulG-RC

Hi Russel
Thanks for the info I will certainly look at this and any other comments will be greatly appreciated.
Not shure when I will start on mine yet but will get it friday.

Paul
Old 10-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Augie11

Russell-
I had the same problem with my Seawind ---- the measurement should be more like 4 7/8 or 5". But mine also came with no strings in the wings to thread the aileron/flap servo wires, a fuel tank that leaked along the seam during a pressure test and a chunk out of the canopy that GP is replacing.

Also, it took 12oz. of lead in the nose to balance with an OS 91 FX 2 stroke and no landing gear.

Hope to give her a try next week if the weather clears out here.

Augie
Old 10-21-2005, 09:19 PM
PaulG-RC

Got my Seawind finally today and so far all is good at first inspection.
Ii will only put it together this winter.
So all the information you all post will be like gold for me and other alike.
It does look very impressive.
I dont think I will install the gears since I will fly it only on water so seems I will save on weight too.

Paul
Old 10-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Strykaas

Don't you guys think this plane is a Spectra II clone ?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:31 AM
khh1955

Hi John,

As you are probably aware,I won this months ARF at the clubs raffle...which I very quickly traded in for the Seawind over at Rob's!

What a beautiful plane,although,when I opened the box & unpacked it all,I discovered that the canopy somehow
came loose in the box & got all cracked up. GP is sending me a new canopy next week (hopefully).

I bought an OS .61fx for it a few months ago...which is how long we all have been waiting for this ARF...sometimes
I think the longer we have to wait for a new project...the more we appreciate it when it arrives!

I was in the process of putting a U-Can-Do together when I got the Seawind....so as soon as I get it done,I'll get the Seawind on the table & get to work...I'll keep you posted!

I'm using a .61 on it as I have a feeling that this plane is going to be a bit on the tail heavy side...they are requiring you use high torque micro servos in the tail area...a very good indication that its tail heavy. Its not suppose to be a speed monster,so as long as the .61 flies it comfortably...I'll try it.

Later,
Kurt
Old 10-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Strykaas

In 1971 :

In 2005 :

Old 10-22-2005, 12:33 PM
PaulG-RC

Interesting [:-] does the Spectra II exist in full scale or is it just a model concept?

As the Seawind is a 1/4 scale replica of the full scale being built right here.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Strykaas

oh ! I did not know the seawind exists in full scale [sm=rolleyes.gif]...

My guess is that the spectra (rcm plan) was based on a real seaplane too . I'll try to find out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.