Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 PM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite Butterfly build

I just ordered the butterfly tonight from tower hobbies. If anyone has any suggestions, post away. I should be starting build next week as soon as it comes in. Already have an os .10 engine, not sure what size servos to use. And havent came up with a color yet for covering.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dynaflite Butterfly build

Here is some info http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77..._1/key_/tm.htm
I would build it stock, but it can depend on your experience with planes.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The butterfly is nothing more than a powered glider - still have mine...OS.20 (WAY overpowered)...fly in the summer time for > 30 minutes on a 8 0z. tank - flying mostly at idle.....
Old 08-22-2009, 07:46 PM
ejam

Hi, All

I am in the middle of building the fuse. Should be finished tonight and start on the wings. I havent found anybody on here that has stated if they have glued the wing halfs together or left them apart. Im not sure if the wings will fit in my van if glued together. Im just worried about the wings sliding apart in flight if not glued. Could anyone chime in on this, that has built the butterfly?
Thanks
Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 PM
TFF

It takes a bunch to pull the wings apart. Almost every glider wing around does it that way. If you are really worried you could make a strap to tie the wings after they are put together. I would just follow the instructions though. Any pictures?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 PM
ejam

Here are some pictures of build. There was some questionable directions, hope I got it right. opps file too large Ill figure it later.
Anyway, I wasnt sure about what wood to use for the servo tray support, the two strips that get glued to right and left of fuse. I just used the punch outs for the back half of fuse holes. They were stamped out for some reason! In other words, the fuse has areas that get knocked out, and within those knock outs there is strips that have been die cut also, but the instruction manual doesnt refur you to them? Or it could be that I started the fuse first, and not the begining of the manual! Yahoooo got the pictures down loaded!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24304.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1261160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76232.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1261161  
Old 08-23-2009, 02:02 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

i am taking mine out of the attic fun plane thanks frank
Old 08-23-2009, 11:39 AM
TFF

The manual is pretty tedious. Looks good.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only one I built I had a wing tube set up for a two piece wing of my own design, it worked out great for me. Then I let my friend/basic instructor fly it and he started doing big loops and flat spins with it. The wing folded on a flat spin. Yes, I was ticked off!! It's just a big floating glider with some small power up front, not an Extra or Sukhoi. I built it for those after flying days so I could just sit in a chair and watch it float around, I would like another one but that one was the only one I built. Any good micro servo is OK in this plane. Unless you plane on stunting it a lot??
Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 PM
ejam

Gray Beard,

No stunts here. I just wanted it for the laid back flights, and to teach my youngest son to fly. My middle son is flying a hanger 9 alpha 40 and doing great.

If dynaflite would have stamped part no. on things, and was just a little more explaining things better, my youngest (10yr old) could build it.

I hope to have it done and flight ready in about 2 weeks. I like to take my time, or Im just a little slow upstairs!

Two months ago, I traded my E-flight apprentice for the Parkzone radian, and love it. Thats one reason why I picked the Butterfly.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
ejam

Update on build, the pushrod tubes are installed, stab and elev. are glued and ready for sanding. Next is the rudder.

Name:	Vt56974.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1263625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96410.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1263626  
Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
aglaser

I have one of these airplanes. mines about 10 years old now. They are a great lazy flier. The only thing I would to the plane is redesign the landing gear. on a rough landing, they pop right through the fuse. One thing you could to to prevent this is to fiberglass the sides of the fuse where the gear rest. I have laso heard of people not even putting landing gear on and just belly landing the plane. Other thatn the gear, this is a great plane!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 PM
ejam

Thanks for the advise. I was thinking as I was building the fuse, that the landing gear mount looked a little week, but never gave it a thought of making changes.
Just a quick thought, maybe I can take a thick block of wood, drill through it, install wire landing gear and glue block on the inside of fuse. That might add the right amount of weight needed to balance it at the same time!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Mode One

I built this airplane for a friend. I used Ultracote transparent on the wings and tail feathers. I don't feel this product adds enough stiffness to the airframe. It seems very flexible and stretchy. Maybe on the second flight, the wing folded at the polyhedral joint of one of the wing bays. The owner dove the plane one time before this and the wing developed major flutter! I told him, don't do that, the plane is not designed for speed! A few minutes later, he did it again and the wing folded this time. Most other sailplane designs use a little sheeting at the leading edge and I think this helps with the torsional strength of the wing. The butterfly is all open framework so, the wings are fairly flexible.

I know many hate Monokote, now-a-days, however, I think Monokote is far superior for adding strength to the airframe. The transpartent yellow and orange really light up, when your way up in the sky!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Quigleywins

ORIGINAL: Mode One

I built this airplane for a friend. I used Ultracote transparent on the wings and tail feathers. I don't feel this product adds enough stiffness to the airframe. It seems very flexible and stretchy. Maybe on the second flight, the wing folded at the polyhedral joint of one of the wing bays. The owner dove the plane one time before this and the wing developed major flutter! I told him, don't do that, the plane is not designed for speed! A few minutes later, he did it again and the wing folded this time. Most other sailplane designs use a little sheeting at the leading edge and I think this helps with the torsional strength of the wing. The butterfly is all open framework so, the wings are fairly flexible.

I know many hate Monokote, now-a-days, however, I think Monokote is far superior for adding strength to the airframe. The transpartent yellow and orange really light up, when your way up in the sky!
Just wondering what power this model had. I'm in the process of building one and I have powered it with an OS20, maybe this might be to much power after reading your statment yours Paul T
Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 PM
liftdump

I have a .25FX for mine. I have the tail feathers and wing complete as of today. I did add a few sheer webs to the outboard wing panels for some increased strength and stiffness. Starting the fuselage next week. I do not know what I am going to do with the gear yet. Not sure if I am too fond of the design as is. As far as covering goes, I have been thinking about using transparent monokote as well. This is my first Dynaflite kit, Im not too impressed with it -its ok, but I had to have some new fuse sides shipped to me as the originals were quite warped. The instructions were yellowed on the edges which makes me wonder if I got an older kit. At any rate I love to build and am having fun. Iv''e had enough of wings for a while though after 99" of em. Laying them flat on my work surface and measuring each one from the surface up to the tips...there's about a 6 mm difference. Not sure why other than the fact that something had to of been off somewhere. After each wing panel was completed I triple checked all of the ribs to make sure they were set correctly with the dihedral guides supplied in the kit. They were all spot on. Oh well, less than a quarter inch difference over 99 in. cant make to big a deal.

Building is the stressful part for me.... I always like to be with in 1/16" on everything. I have never built a perfect plane yet (12th Kit). Don't think that ever happens for anyone.

Happy building.

One interesting fact I heard about this airplane is that it is intended to be hand launched. Some people have put a tail wheel on this aircraft to get better ground handling.....I have read that it does not work out too well and ur better off just putting the skid on. I agree with this and will be hand launching and using the wheels just for landing.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Quigleywins

ORIGINAL: mtjx3d2

I have a .25FX for mine. I have the tail feathers and wing complete as of today. I did add a few sheer webs to the outboard wing panels for some increased strength and stiffness. Starting the fuselage next week. I do not know what I am going to do with the gear yet. Not sure if I am too fond of the design as is. As far as covering goes, I have been thinking about using transparent monokote as well. This is my first Dynaflite kit, Im not too impressed with it -its ok, but I had to have some new fuse sides shipped to me as the originals were quite warped. The instructions were yellowed on the edges which makes me wonder if I got an older kit. At any rate I love to build and am having fun. Iv''e had enough of wings for a while though after 99'' of em. Laying them flat on my work surface and measuring each one from the surface up to the tips...there's about a 6 mm difference. Not sure why other than the fact that something had to of been off somewhere. After each wing panel was completed I triple checked all of the ribs to make sure they were set correctly with the dihedral guides supplied in the kit. They were all spot on. Oh well, less than a quarter inch difference over 99 in. cant make to big a deal.

Building is the stressful part for me.... I always like to be with in 1/16'' on everything. I have never built a perfect plane yet (12th Kit). Don't think that ever happens for anyone.

Happy building.

One interesting fact I heard about this airplane is that it is intended to be hand launched. Some people have put a tail wheel on this aircraft to get better ground handling.....I have read that it does not work out too well and ur better off just putting the skid on. I agree with this and will be hand launching and using the wheels just for landing.
Well I have made the decision to rip the OS20 and replace it with the OS15 All I need is somthing that will fly OK with hands off the controls and as slow as possible. The reason I chose this model is it look like the free flight models that we flew in the 50s without the DT fuse or timer.They flew just fine as long as the timer worked to bring it back to earth.
I'v included some photos and as you can see its just one day away from finished. I love the building but I hate the covering I have Just found out through this foram how many builders are having problems with monokote.. I have around 20 rolls of monokote which is just impossible to use. I now use solofilm and its wonderful.
Well I will be in the building room tonight till its ready to fly. I will check my wings for length also.and my kit was perfect from Atomic in the US. I have not seen a Butterfly Kit in any adds or books etc over hear. As I said when I saw what it looked like I just had to have one because it reminded me of the things we started with in the 50s. I'v had a 42 year break. Yours Paul

Name:	Wu59578.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1270257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97838.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1270258  
Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM
liftdump

That looks great Paul. I have not heard of Solo Film. I will have to check it out. I too like the butterfly for its "sitting in a lawn Chair, cruising around capabilities." I finished building the sides of the fuselage last night and am at the firewall now. I will not be able to work on it for a week due to my schedule. Let me know how your CG comes out when your done. There's about a 6oz difference between the motor u are using and the one I am. I would love to see a finished picture.

Take care!

Matt
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 AM
ejam

Quigleywins ,

Your butterfly looks good. I am about a week away from finishing mine. I was just wondering what kind of problems are people having with monocoat? That is what I bought to cover mine.
I thought the lighter covering was not fuel proof? I have only used microlite coveright on a foamy, so I have no experience with covering balsa models.

I will add more pictures later, have to clean up my work area first. lol As of tonight, I just finished the last wing panel, so the next step will to be fuel proofing the wood, wicth I hate the smell of the clear dope, might try the epoxy thinned with alchol.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Quigleywins

ORIGINAL: ejam

I was just wondering what kind of problems are people having with monocoat?
Ejam have a look at {Anyone Else Having Trouble With Super Monokote? } On page 5 0f this heading Have about a hour on hand to read all the very experienced builders and the problems there having, I thought it was all my inexperience,I have all the gear to help but noway could I fit the s%#@ to my models no matter what I did. asked questions on hear did what was segested but nothing worked. Two week ago or so I found this sight and all was very clear its the product. Any way I had a count today and I have 25 Rolls at around $18 aust that is a lot of cash that I have invested and the onlyway I can use it is in trims I can handle it in thin strips. So all my models will have lots of strips from now on. I have a heap of models to cover which I have been putting off because when I had a go I would make a right mess of it but now there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I did remove the white stripes of my Top flite B25 and spent weeks putting the D-day stripes on I thought I stuft it up completly ,the model that is but after heaps on the floor I did manage to get them on, the wings were easy but that fus was a different matter. Hope to hear from you on what you think about the sight on page 5 Yours Paul
Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 AM
liftdump

Ejam,
epoxy thinned with alcohol works great. i have never had any probs with monokote.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:51 PM
ejam

Well Im short on cash, and already have the 2 rolls of monokote, so I will give it a try. The microlite covering had glue on the back, how does monokote stick to the model?
I will post my covering job and tell what problems I have come accross.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Quigleywins

ORIGINAL: mtjx3d2

Ejam,
epoxy thinned with alcohol works great. i have never had any probs with monokote.
One of the wonders of the world is how at the age of 15 I was able to sleep with all thoes dope smells in the bed room,all of my mates did the same,move the models to make a parth to the bed. It also kept all non modeling people out eg sisters,etc. I'm now 62 so it must be good for you As for the monokote if you can use it fine but the last 5 models I tryed it on all look like they have made a 1000 flites when new. I will never try the product ever again.I changed to two other products and had a good results. there is still room for improvement in my methods but I now have a mental hate for the covering. thanks to monokote. Yours Paul.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Nergall

ORIGINAL: ejam

Well Im short on cash, and already have the 2 rolls of monokote, so I will give it a try. The microlite covering had glue on the back, how does monokote stick to the model?
I will post my covering job and tell what problems I have come accross.
Monokote works just like the Microlite. It just takes a little more heat to activate the glue and a LOT more heat to shrink up. I turn my iron all the way up when I work with it, but you should check it with a test piece just to be sure.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Quigleywins

If you find its impossible,and your not alone I use''Profilm'' Made in Germany The other product I use is ''SolarFilm'' Made in England. There is also an early thread on paternflyers under Monokote. where an early group of experienced builders were asking whats the problem. Theres one reply asying its the user not the product. Well the only change made in my shed is the product and things are now fine.and as I said I still have 25 rolls which will be used in half inch strips that a lot of stipes.I dont need replys saying it me I know I can't use it but I gave it a fair go and spent a bundle on it. I only wished that I given it away earlier. Yours Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.