Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM 82" Hawker Hurricane

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 82" Hawker Hurricane

Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESM 82" Hawker Hurricane

I just ordered one from TroyBuiltModels along with the ESM retracts to be a product review in the quarterly magazine that serves the giant scale audience.

It should be here in a week or so.

Does anyone have experience with the ESM retracts?

I plan to use a 50cc class engine which should fit in the cowl and provide sufficient power.

Anything else I should look for?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 AM
jddickers
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 82

I have built alot of the ESM planes. The retracts are fair. If you plan on doing a lot of flying I would go with Serra or CJM retracts. From what every says on the forum not many like them. The rest of the pane is great.
JD
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dick,

I am on the waiting list with TOMAS at VQ Warbirds for one of the ESM 82" Hurricanes. I look forward to getting it. The quoted delivery is February 2010.

Sierra Giant Scale does not offer retracts to fit this Hurricane yet, however they want to. Darrell Tenny is shipping me a sample wing center section from an ESM kit and a prototype retract that is actually based on a Corsair rotating mechanism. I will be designing a new mounting structure and rib templates that will allow for the use of a scale set of Sierra Giant Scale Gear. In a true scale configuration the gear are mounted at an angle that brings the tires aft on the wing as they retract. In order to stow them properly they need to rotate 15 degrees bringing the front edge of the tire down as it closes into the wing. The deal is that I will figure out and make a retro-fit mounting kit and Darrell will make the scale rotating gear. I think it is a good plan. I have a full set of Hurrican 3-Views from Bob Banka to work from in order to hopefully get this right. Once it all arrives I will be posting design progress pictures out here on RCU. This may be the thread to do it on.

Leo Spychalla
Spychalla Aircraft LLC
Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 PM
pettit

Thanks, Leo. I'll be looking for more info, but for now, I'll stick with the stock retracts because I am reviewing the plane and retracts in another magazine and will have to use what's sent to me.

I hope they are strong enough for a plane of this size and weight.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
jmohn

My Hurricane has been great. The retracts are fine, but you need to keep the doors off or use some method to rotate them. I just used a wood block attached at the base of the retracts that align the doors when the are extended which works fine. The other thing to make sure you do it get the flaps as far towards 90 degrees as possible or the plane tends to balloon. On this wing they need to act more like speed brakes than flaps.

I think you will have issues trying to fit a 50 cc engine in the cowl. I had trouble trying to fit a Saito 36 in mine and it's much smaller. I would recommend you try and find a low profile engine like one of the evolution engines (26 or 30 cc) which may fit better.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26853.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1356600  
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
pettit

I got a DLE-55 for the Hurricane but it was physically too big to fit on the firewall. The footprint of the standoffs didn't land on the wooden firewall inside the fuselage. Plus it was almost an inch too long.

After checking out each and every engine I thought would be suitable, I came to the conclusion that a good old Saito 180 four cycle would do the job just fine.

All the other gas engines either had stuff hanging out the sides, they were too big or they didn't have enough power.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

Leo

Too bad we couldn't get the guys a Yellow Aircraft to design a Huri. I will be watching to see how you get on with the retract design it will make a lot of folks happy campers.

Moggy
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
pettit

I think the only problem with the retracts is that the doors will be a little angled when the gear is down to allow them to fit level to the wing when retracted.

I did find that the Tee fittings supplied were blocked up and wouldn't pass air. Otherwise the system has held 100 PSI for 72 hours.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:49 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: pettit

I got a DLE-55 for the Hurricane but it was physically too big to fit on the firewall. The footprint of the standoffs didn't land on the wooden firewall inside the fuselage. Plus it was almost an inch too long.

After checking out each and every engine I thought would be suitable, I came to the conclusion that a good old Saito 180 four cycle would do the job just fine.

All the other gas engines either had stuff hanging out the sides, they were too big or they didn't have enough power.

How do you feel about the DLE30 for this bird? this is the engine I was contemplating , but like most want to do as little if any cutting of the cowl
Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hi Dick,
I was contemplating the Hurricane as well, as it is not that often seen at the average flying field. I think ESM will change that with this offering. I have two ESM planes with their "Generation 5" retracts. Being a fan of anything that increases my chances for success, I found that the UK company "YT International" offers a set of replacement cylinders for the ESM gear that convert them to "air up/spring down". I ordered a set from them at a cost of 25 pounds (plus 5 pounds posatge). I guess you could say, they are now "Generation 5.1". Anyway, YT may have a set of these for the larger gear and it might be worth investigating. JM2C!

Make sure you apply some blue loctite to all of the screws on the gear. When I was replacing the stock cylinders I found that all of the screws were lightly set. The two smaller screws that secure the cylinders are very fragile, in that the head will easily strip out if you apply to much force with the hex wrench (ask me how I know).

Good luck with the build. Will we be seeing this in RC Reports?

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pettit
Dick, I have been searching engine options for this 82" Hurricane and I keep coming back to the ZDZ 40 Rear Exhaust as the best candidate. My Hurricane from VQ Warbirds should deliver within the next few days and I will start measuring things up. The ZDZ 40 is expensive, but the nice thing about it is that both the carb and the muffler are on the back side and that may just work will in this narrow short nose. Having owned a ZDZ 40 I know that it will have the power to pull this bird around. When I ran them in the past I used 20 X 10 props with good success. Leo
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM
pettit

It MAY have enough power, but I can't tell you for sure.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 AM
pettit

I did a little work on the Hurricane over the weekend and found the total weight of the completed wing assembly was 6 pounds 5 ounces with retracts and servos installed.

Also take a close look at the servo mounting plates because the slots may be cut in the wrong position for the roundels to line up. Also the slots are too narrow for the servo arms to stick through, so while you're cutting new ones, make them wider and longer too.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard a 30 cc will fly this baby, but no matter what engine, my biggest concern in clearance inside the cowl, not only to keep form cutting up the thing, but is there enough room front to back for a rear carb?
What is the distance from firewall to back of prop hub ?
That may dictate the engine decision
Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 AM
pettit

Fron the firewall to the front of the cowl is 6", not including any clearance.

Probably 6 1/8" is the correct dimension

Modt rear intake engines are longer than this. Ask me, I know...
Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
NoFlaps

I had the same problem with my KMP Typhoon, I had the face of the carb, just inside the firewall, and had to create a "u" shaped rvelocity stack, to allow the thing to work properly.
I thought the neww OS55 gasser might work for this, as the carb is up front.
Thanks for the dimensions ! [8D]
Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM
jmohn

You might look at the Evolution motors as they have a lower profile than others. I tried to fit a Saito 36 in the cowl on mine and it stuck out way too much. I ended up going electric because of that. I am trying to fit the saito in my LA-7 and it still will stick out of that cowl too. It's the perfect length, but too tall. I am thinking about trying a Evo 30 or 40 instead as the rocker arms stick up too much.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
pettit

I already ordered the Saito 180, so I'll stick to that for now. Maybe "The Next Guy" can replace the engine with something else.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Dick,

What quarterly magazine are you reviewing this for?

Oriole
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
pettit

High Flight, the IMAA publication.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Hey guys I thought i would post a couple pic's of the Cockpit I just finished for the ESM Hurricaine. I'll post the install vid's later today...

Ty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87442.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1374514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54109.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1374515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68231.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1374516  
Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM
pettit

Nice cockpit, Ty.

Update on my Hurricane. With everything installed and lots of nose weight, it weighs 17 pounds exactly.

That's with a Saito 180 and almost 3 pounds of lead!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
thedeeman

Hey NoFlaps.

What motor do you have installed? Also, you wouldn't happen to have some pics of your installation that you could post? I'm starting the build of this plane this upcoming weekend but I haven't selected the motor yet. I looked that some side mounts because I can get a 30cc but the carb appears that it will protrude out the side of the cowl in all my measurements.

Thanks alot.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
NoFlaps

Thedeeman,

i haven't installed anything yet in the Hurricane...I was contemplating the 30CC, but because of the protrusion problem, I haven't made up my mind on anything...i thought I'd see what everyone else is doing.
Sorry I can't be of more help mate.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Dean TBM

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

Hey guys I thought i would post a couple pic's of the Cockpit I just finished for the ESM Hurricaine. I'll post the install vid's later today...

Ty
Nice !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.