Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

bent and dented aluminum spinner

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

bent and dented aluminum spinner

Old 07-09-2020, 05:31 PM
tbone4343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question bent and dented aluminum spinner

how do i remove a small dent in an aluminum spinner and small bends in the aluminum where the prop exits spinner . its not real bad but would like to straighten it out and polish it any help would be great .
Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Think auto body repair. Where smooth faced dollies, spoons and a hammer are used to reshape dented metal. Place dolly on inside and tap tap tap to reshape. Just light taps at a time. Same technique could be used for bent areas. You will have to make the dolly or dollies. Super smooth as possible. Go slow.

For example I had an aluminum cylinder with a piston that had O’rings seals. The cylinder was dented during O’ring replacement. I used a pipe just smaller than the cylinder. Cleaned, smoothed and polished as best I could. Then with a rubber dead blow hammer I worked the dent out. May have used a regular hammer too. Can’t remember. Once done the cylinder worked again and leak free.

Good luck with your repair.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:07 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just remembered that Harbor Freight sells a watch makers hammer that may be good for this repair. Check it out. Then you just need the dolly.

SKU 99895

Old 08-21-2020, 06:42 PM
gdwrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that item,.. I'd use a nice piece of hardwood for the dolly, Aluminum is quite soft and wood will help with not scratching the surface so much
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 AM
i.RIDE_H0ndA

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, less is more. Sometimes the metal stretches a bit at the dent so go easy.