Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

T18SZ Update 3.9 - Model ID

Old 04-30-2020, 07:38 AM
Dr. Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb T18SZ Update 3.9 - Model ID

Hello:
There is a new update listed on the Japanese website for Update v3.9 for the T18SZ. The download is the English version. It allows the transmitter to read the serial number of the receiver when the two are initially bound. That would mean that if you set your model select to model A, and turn on model B, the transmitter will ignore model B, even if it is the same receiver type. It will match the model you selected, with the receiver serial number.
My question is, will this Update currently available, on the Japanese site, be compatible with my North American T18SZ?
RM
Old 04-30-2020, 08:55 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The 3.9E (English version) is the same regardless of where you get it. What you will not get is the instruction sheet with the update info.

I have installed it and tested it on both my 18SZ and 16SZ in both single and dual receiver modes. Works great.

You need to re-link the RX after the update, and you have to do that as if it was the first time you linked it.

1) go to LINKAGE->SYSTEM TYPE
2) Tap the system type you are using in the current model (18-ch FASSTest, 12-ch FASSTest, or T-FHSS)
This clears the currently linked RX info, but does not affect the model data.
3) Select the System type again and then link like normal.

Note: This only works with FASSTest and T-FHSS receivers. It does NOT work with FASST of SFHSS receivers.

I have no idea when it will be listed on the FutabaUSA site, but I suspect it will be fairly soon. That will have the English instruction sheet. Also note that each update contains all previous updates as well.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Dr. Bob

Default English language instructions

Here is the English language instructions
Old 05-02-2020, 11:45 AM
FUTABA-RC

You cannot post attachments, etc.

Keep in mind this has not been officially released in the USA, but for those chomping at the bit here is what the OP tried to post

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
t18sz_v1-4_3-9e.pdf (2.00 MB, 155 views)
Old 05-02-2020, 11:47 AM
FUTABA-RC

And for those that need it, look at pages 184-185 of the manual for the instructions on how to do the update:

Old 06-11-2020, 05:46 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Any word on when/if this update will be available for our WC radios?
Old 06-11-2020, 08:01 PM
FUTABA-RC

Have not heard. But I have passed along the many requests I've seen. I'd be surprised if they did not make it available.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:40 AM
cvi

Default T18SZ V3.9 Update Software

For me personally, the T18SZ V3.9 Update Software is a minus! I will explain. Often for the same model I use two copies with different numbers of battery cans, for example - 3s and 4s. Two copies because in telemetry you have to set different alert voltages. It turns out that in the field, when changing the number of cans, it is necessary to bind the receiver to the transmitter each time, which is not very convenient, since the screen at 18sz is not bright and you can not see anything in bright sunshine. Therefore, I remain on the T18SZ V3.8 Update Software.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:07 AM
FUTABA-RC

Yes, there are a few people unhappy with this new feature. But the vast majority have been clamoring for it for some time.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:53 AM
3DRokie

I think that model matching is definitely a good safety feature. However, I also keep more than one version of a program for a single plane based on different configurations.
Could Futaba please allow Model ID be turned On/Off in the System Type screen? That way everybody is happy!
Old 07-15-2020, 05:30 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Default I’m thankful

I’m thankful that they just came out with the update. Futaba has always been behind the competition. I just bought into Futaba after 15 years away, and flying the other Japanese, Cheq, and German radios. Setting up my jets, I would forget (hate to admit it) to change to one of the other jets. Then, would readjust the wrong jet. I wouldn’t figure it out until I went to the actual program for that jet to figure out that I adjusted the wrong jet. Problem with using the same program for several different aircraft, is that hidden programming issues get transferred to a new aircraft. And, usually stay there.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:57 AM
FUTABA-RC

OK, I going to close this thread. Guys, this forum is not an ope discussion forum. This is a vendor supported forum and essentially only the OP and me should post in it.