Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Discussion: Antenna position

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Discussion: Antenna position

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 12:26 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CARS II
...I liked the 18X way better than my Futaba but I had used Spectrum before and decided not to use it again.
Spektrum modulation is the only form of modulation that I have not lost a plane on. Lost several on Futaba, many, many years ago, back in the Super 7 days. Put enough of a sour taste in my mouth to never go back. But if they came out with something revolutionary I might have jumped on the bandwagon. Of course, that never happened, and I have watched more planes lock out on FASST than on any other 2.4ghz modulation system, so that didn't help.
Jeti and Powerbox are two systems I'd consider if I had problems with Spektrum, but...knock on wood!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:06 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
Spektrum modulation is the only form of modulation that I have not lost a plane on.......and I have watched more planes lock out on FASST than on any other 2.4ghz modulation system, so that didn't help.
Your experience, then, differs a lot not only from Carlos but from many, many pilots here in RC Universe and in RC Groups but as far as you haven´t lost any model and you feel safe, that is the most important point.

In the other hand, you regret of other pilots lousy models. It will not be long till it will be you who will be confronted due to the loud Specktrum telemetry voice in the flightline. If you do not want to become unpopular at your flying field or being reprimanded by the flying director at any event, please, control the voice max volume!
Old 06-30-2020, 05:51 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Antenna diversity is the key to avoiding RF related failsafes. Again, one needs at least three Rxers with three different polarizations to have 360 degrees covered at all times and that assumes that all three Rxers' antennas are not affected by some obstruction in the plane. That is a fact! Placing the Txers antenna anywhere near horizontal to the ground points the dead spot off the end of the antenna at the plane as we typically face the plane. It also shorts a significant amount of the RF signal to the electrical ground below you (i.e. it has no chance to reflect and/or reach the aircraft.) These are facts! Cross polarization ( i.e. Txer vertical and Rxer Horizontal and visa versa) eliminates ~ 97% of your RF on the path between the two. This is a fact!

So what is so hard to figure out that multiple Txer and Rxer antennas polarized such that at all times at least one set is polarized the same is more effective? Given that we fly our jets a lot further out there, flying with one Rxer with two Rxer antennas seems very risky to me. Same principal applies for the plane's power source. Given that we are using a lot of high powered servos, gyros and longer wire harnesses, etc. thinking that all that power will run through one little Rxer buss is just poor design. Those setups are a power failure waiting to happen, especially if digital servos are being used and plane is large (e.g. with long wire runs, etc.). Two power supplies in the plane is always better than one. Routing the power to the plane's servos going thru a tiny connection buss is a very basic design flaw.

If you want that jet to reliably stay in the air, you have to account for these design considerations before you build it. We are not flying around some foamy park flier a couple hundred feet out in front of us. To do what we do safely, one has to consider most design considerations more carefully. Also, using that same old park flyer transmitter is at best a significant risk! Diversity on both ends of the RF path to your plane is important!
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:09 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jescardin
Your experience, then, differs a lot not only from Carlos but from many, many pilots here in RC Universe and in RC Groups but as far as you haven´t lost any model and you feel safe, that is the most important point.

In the other hand, you regret of other pilots lousy models. It will not be long till it will be you who will be confronted due to the loud Specktrum telemetry voice in the flightline. If you do not want to become unpopular at your flying field or being reprimanded by the flying director at any event, please, control the voice max volume!
Hmmm. The voice is barely loud enough for my 45 year old ears to hear! Judging by how you're typing, no offense, but I'm assuming you are not in the USA? In which case, maybe your legal wattage limit of 2.4ghz radiation is lower than USA? If so, I can't speak for your experience.
I do know that, about 10 or so years ago many, many folks had issues with brown outs on Spektrum. Sure, that the receiver took some 6-7 seconds to link back up wasn't good, but it really pointed out how poorly folks were powering their system and caused them to take extra precaution. But line I said, that was a decade ago. Here in the USA, I have not read about, seen, or experienced any hard fail issues with spektrum.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:55 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Friday we are flying jets ( Raffy, myself and other) but before that, on Thurs I will put my radio to the test with my 60 size sport airplane, a fast, can go far and high airplane, I will make sure I have the throttle failsafe set to idle and will fly it with the antenna in up position then will take it to the same spot where my Boomer went into failsafe and will turn the antenna horizontal and will observe while flying slow, if it goes into failsafe then the antenna comes up, recover, repeat, will report from the field.

On another note, my decision is made, I will be getting a Jeti radio some time next month, I'm leaning towards the DS12 that can be expanded to 16 proportional chls with the deluxe package, it has the 900mhz added to it for a dual redundancy on the link with the receivers, it's just about $100 difference in price from the 16chl Futaba ( probably less ) that I was thinking of getting, you may have noticed it has no sliders but, since all the switches and knobs are interchangeable, I'm thinking, I only use one on/off switch on the right top side of my radio then, I will keep the short two position switch on the right side then swap the knob to a slider switch, it may actually be more convenient to have the slider on top instead of having it on the side, see, I'm already customizing the radio to my needs, very convenient,.

I really like that it is light weight, compared to the DS24, the Bumblebee color is very attractive to me, it matches two of my jets's color scheme and it has all the fixtures I use now and then some, time to read the manual and watch the vids they have on programming, one of the most important things for jet flyers is support of the product, I called Jeti USA and had a nice chat with ? sorry, forgot his name but he was ready to pour all this info on the radio's sofware are over the phone, I very much appreciate that.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-30-2020 at 03:23 PM.
CraigG (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM
wfield0455

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Jeti DS12 Deluxe as well as a DS16 and I've also owned a DC24. I really like the DS12. It has a few less switches but as long as you're happy with the available controls I'm sure you'll like it. One thing is if you want to use 900Mhz right always you will be disappointed as the 900Mhz NG receiver that it requires isn't available yet. It also is NOT compatible with the current 900Mhz receivers. The 900Mhz NG receivers probably won't be available until next flying season as the development isn't finished yet and then there is certifications, etc, etc.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:58 PM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Friday we are flying jets ( Raffy, myself and other) but before that, on Thurs I will put my radio to the test with my 60 size sport airplane, a fast, can go far and high airplane, I will make sure I have the throttle failsafe set to idle and will fly it with the antenna in up position then will take it to the same spot where my Boomer went into failsafe and will turn the antenna horizontal and will observe while flying slow, if it goes into failsafe then the antenna comes up, recover, repeat, will report from the field.

On another note, my decision is made, I will be getting a Jeti radio some time next month, I'm leaning towards the DS12 that can be expanded to 16 proportional chls with the deluxe package, it has the 900mhz added to it for a dual redundancy on the link with the receivers, it's just about $100 difference in price from the 16chl Futaba ( probably less ) that I was thinking of getting, you may have noticed it has no sliders but, since all the switches and knobs are interchangeable, I'm thinking, I only use one on/off switch on the right top side of my radio then, I will keep the short two position switch on the right side then swap the knob to a slider switch, it may actually be more convenient to have the slider on top instead of having it on the side, see, I'm already customizing the radio to my needs, very convenient,.

I really like that it is light weight, compared to the DS24, the Bumblebee color is very attractive to me, it matches two of my jets's color scheme and it has all the fixtures I use now and then some, time to read the manual and watch the vids they have on programming, one of the most important things for jet flyers is support of the product, I called Jeti USA and had a nice chat with ? sorry, forgot his name but he was ready to pour all this info on the radio's sofware are over the phone, I very much appreciate that.
And, the add to the great info. that Wfield provided, by the time (of who knows, maybe before or maybe after) the compatible 900mhz receivers are ready for the US, there may also be a version 2 of the DS-16 radio. It is already overseas and contains some updates to the original, such as a color screen, 900mhz backup capability, etc. The v2 DS-16 is simply another option to think about if you plan to already wait to purchase the DS-12 until the 900mhz receivers are available. I have a DS-16 now and am waiting for the updated version to arrive, which is hopefully by the end of this year or sometime next year. I'm sure with the FCC cert. process, things may vary in time frame.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats! You’ll love it.

Call and talk to Danny at Aeropanda...just saying. It’s your $$ so buy wherever you choose.

Since the DS-12 is 12 functions (not 12 channels) it will be fine for most jets as long as you have enough switches to do everything you want. One of the things I like about the DS-24 are the controls on the back of the Tx, but not everyone needs that many switches/sliders, etc.

As I mentioned before, you will quickly learn to love and appreciate what the Jeti can do.

Make careful decision making on the receivers that you choose to use ... they are all good but not all the same.

JS

CraigG (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

You should look at the carbon edition DS-12 its the best value and features Aluminum gimbals, buttons and knobs.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:59 PM
CARS II

Wayne, I hear you, makes me feel relax that you are happy with your Jeti radio, Yes! you are correct on the 900mhz NG receivers, it's something I've considered for future use when the new 900mhz receivers come out in about a year, my radio will be ready for it then, as far as the switches goes, it has plenty and can also be swapped for the switch you want, all is good with it then.

Thank you for sharing your experinces with this system.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-30-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:06 PM
CARS II

T CAT

After reading about how long it took to get the DS16 GEN1 certified, I decided not to wait, the DS12 ( 16 ) is here now and gives me 16 chls, I was told the new DS16 GEN2 maybe here in six months, I understand it could take longer, specially with the current situation.

Tks.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:12 PM
CARS II

JS

Yes, you are right, the DS12 has enough switches for my use on my sport jets at this time, I bet that in another 3 to 5 years I will be looking at the DS24 for sure

Switches I use.
Left side.
1 long spring loaded for smoke.
1 short 2 position for gear
1 short 2 position dual rates elev.

Right side.
1 short 2 position dual rate ail.
1 short 3 possition for flaps.
1 slider for brakes/ will replace the right center knob with a slider switch.

Correct on the receivers, I haven't got to read on them yet, will do that soon, thanks for the warning on which one to use, they have so many, which is good.

I will talk to Danny at AP before I buy, promise.

Tks.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-30-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM
CARS II

Bob

The Carbon edition is a temptation but, it doesn't come in Yellow.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:45 PM
CARS II

This a cool function I like to explore, could be use for braking or to induce a snap.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-30-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:23 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I use that to announce my timer and remaining fuel You never have to look at the Tx.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 PM
CARS II

Cool! I will have to try that.

Tks.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:13 PM
CARS II

I flew one of my prop airplanes today using my 10 Chl Futaba radio, during the flight I moved the antenna to the horizontal position and vertical many times, flew the airplanes around the same spot where the Boomer had gone into fail safe but, couldn't replicate the failsafe effect, all in all my radio is just fine, tomorrow I will fly the Boomer with it with an oz of caution, regardless, I'm still getting the DS12 Jeti transmitter next month

Last edited by CARS II; 07-02-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:57 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did an extensive range check on my Flash and when the model was pointed away from me with me looking at the tail pipe, I was still able to get almost twice as far away in range check mode than Futaba outlines in the manual. We tested 8 points of the compass but after I focused on this extreme position. I kept backing up till the controls became notchy. All the testing was with the TX antenna pointed down 45 degrees. At any rate when the controls got notchy, I rotated the antenna straight up and regained control. This seemed to be a better arrangement than straight down so I flew 4 flight on the flash this way. I flew out far and high and never lost control. It seems antenna position is critical.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:54 PM
CARS II

Agreed!

Today I flew my Boomer 3 times, the antenna was pointing up this time, not a single glitch at any atitide or position.

I was going to do one more flight, had only 3/4 tank, so touch and goes but, just before starting the engine I noticed the radio antennas base had pulled out from the the radio body itself, yeap! I am so ready for the DS12 Jeti.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:36 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a JR 12X. Use it with the spektrum and JR receivers. Never had any issues. The Jeti radios look neat. My 12X is fine.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I don’t believe the brand is important, I think antenna setup in the model is the most important part, and really depends on which model and what components....it’s not magic but demands some reflexion, the easiest setup might not be the most efficient.

While I currently fly on Jeti and never lost signal, I can say the same for my past TX/System in 2.4 Which was JR 12X with JR/Spektrum and Orange RX..., and before that in 72mhz JR10X and 10.....and a whole bunch of different Futaba’s....

Failure do happen, but not as much as people’s think 🤔
Old 07-05-2020, 06:39 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

While flying this Friday, with the first few flights of installing my jeti radio (cb200 w 2 R3’s in dual path) and a DS-24, I heard “warning” and the constant beeping that indicates a signal loss in one specific spot: a mild left turn with the jet coming at me really far away.

I never lost control and the jet behaved great. I stayed a little closer for the rest of the flight.

Upon landing, I used the data analysis and was able to see that I lost A1 from the R2 for about 4 seconds or so. I was able to see that all other 3 antennas (R1-A1 and A2, and R2-A2) all had greater than 6 and even 9 values in those 4 seconds.

This made me feel VERY confident regarding my RF link with my jet. Yes, one of my 4 antennas was being blanked out, and my radio made funny noises (ha!) but that was because it is set to be conservative with the warning settings. However, I can now see that one antenna MAY get some improvement with moving, but in reality, my jet and I were communicating just fine!
CraigG (07-06-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 07:02 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I like the yellow too, this is the day I got it, the date on this pic was June 6 2017 so apparently I’ve been flying Jeti over 3 years now. Convert from flying JR for well over 20 years before that. I’ll probably upgrade when the DS16 V2 comes out, unless I run across a killer deal on a 24.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Still using my JR 12X the king of radios. I still listen to records. No CD’s just records and Cassette tapes. I don’t need a TX speaking to me “landing gear”, “RF lost”, kucf that.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:58 PM
CARS II

But I bet you will appreciate it when the radio tells you the time left before landing without having to ask your spatter to go over your shoulder or having to push the radio up so you don't loose sight of the jet, I for one will appreciate that hands off function and a bunch more that my brand spanking new Jeti DS12 system will come with.

Last edited by CARS II; 07-05-2020 at 03:02 PM.
CraigG (07-06-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.