Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya M551 Sheridan trials course and drive review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya M551 Sheridan trials course and drive review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:10 AM
Longsheep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pitstain
I will reiterate my previous post about bombarding Kenny Kong with emails to make tracks, if he hears from enough of us he will make them.

Saw a Facebook announcement from Impact that they have gotten alot of requests to make M551 tracks and idlers, but WILL NOT BE DOING SO.....they are done with the RC business.

Kenny Kong replied to me the following:

Hi Ian,

I did plan to make tracks for the 1/16 M551 last year. I have already bought the tank but the business was bad and the tracks sales was slow. It forced me to delay the plan. If there are enough interest for the tracks, I will make them again. Your feed back is very important to me.

Thanks

Kenny

Everyone please help me in emailing him at [email protected]
I told Him of Impact's statement and he will have no competition, if all of the Sheridan owners start dropping him emails it may help!
Carson of DKLM is working on a set of M551 metal tracks. The drawing is closing to completion though it is not yet forwarded for casting.
It will likely be the only brand who makes it.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Longsheep
Carson of DKLM is working on a set of M551 metal tracks. The drawing is closing to completion though it is not yet forwarded for casting.

I'M IN!!! Maybe they can be convinced to make the front idler in metal and some road wheels?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther F
I'M IN!!! Maybe they can be convinced to make the front idler in metal and some road wheels?
I would be in for a set too! I love running the Sheridan but have to take it easy on the power or spend time fixing tracks.

Surprisingly the polystyrene road wheels and idlers are holding up exceptionally well. Mostly do to the rubber padded inner section of the Tamiya tracks. Heck I am not even seeing much “black” paint wear. I hope DKLM includes the inner rubber track padding. Otherwise I don’t think the polystyrene wheels will hold up to the associated metal on soft plastic wear.

M551 road wheels after a fair number of hours playing in the dirt, sand, dust and weeds. “Black” paint used on the road wheels was flat black ModelMaster enamel. It is holding up very well.

Close up of the left side idler wheel. Both sides look the same.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:32 AM
fuchstraumer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh thank goodness, I registered here to check in on this thread specifically about this issue. I would love a Sheridan, as it's what my grandfather (who I just lost to cancer only weeks ago) served on. It's a fascinating little machine, but hearing how many problems the plastic tracks posed meant I wasn't really considering building one - I drive my tanks too much and run them too hard to not have issues with plastic track assemblies.

DKLM makes great stuff, so this is fantastic news!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:36 AM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I will buy the tracks (hopefully with rubber pads) and anything else he makes for the M551, idlers for sure and metal road wheels with RUBBER TIRES as well please!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM
pitstain

I failed to mention my Sheridan tracks broke just sitting on the shelf.....now that is a major defect.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:41 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I failed to mention my Sheridan tracks broke just sitting on the shelf.....now that is a major defect.
Wow...quality construction there.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:42 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Now that S**Ks!!!!! Saddening to hear about this. It’s one thing if you drive the Sheridan hard and have these issues it’s kinda expected, but another when it happens to a lightly used tank.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:59 PM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well damn. Makes me not wanna get one now. Dammit
Old 09-30-2020, 10:17 AM
pitstain

anyone have updated word from DKLM on the new tracks?