Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Haya U.K ltd have started looking at possibly adding a new model to there range.

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Haya U.K ltd have started looking at possibly adding a new model to there range.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:48 PM
tankman

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Haya U.K ltd have started looking at possibly adding a new model to there range.

Just got a quick update off Andrew at Haya Uk ltd to let people know that they are still working on developing a second 1/16th scale RC tank for there range. He is in the feasibility study stage of there second tank, the development team are working on a Centurion MK3 -Mk5. There are a couple of ideas floating round such as two gun barrel choices, either the 20 pounder or the later 105mm and possibly a choice of two engine decks. The standard British deck or the deck for the Teledyne Continental diesel engine variant as used by the IDF and later the General Dynamics diesel engine fitted by Sweden. He envisages the use of the correc design metal tracks ( black colour ), metal drive and idler wheels colour matched to the tank paint scheme and metal swing arms. We will keep you updated with information as we get it from Andrew.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:33 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I would really like to own a 1/16 r/c Centurion but I fear that unless Andrew can find a factory in China that can turn them out in sufficient numbers to keep the costs down to Heng Long/Taigen levels then it will probably be outside my price range BUT I shall certainly keep a close eye out for future developments.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:28 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep, MK 5 with the IDF engine deck and a 105 main gun is my dream Centurion!!!
Old 05-13-2020, 09:37 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Tankman
I'd be interested in the tracks.
What turret top plate version is he considering - Chris Ludwigs has the early configuration. An explanation of the changes - Centurion Turret -
And 2 links to the early turret - Early Centurion Turret ? Part 1 | Australian Military Modelling Society - Early Centurion Turret ? Part 2 | Australian Military Modelling Society -

Mal
Old 05-14-2020, 03:33 AM
tankman

Hi Mal, I have spoken to Andrew about your question on the turret roof. His reply was “ not sure yet, I still need to do some more research “ . He is at pains to point out this project is still very much in the research and development stages and that Haya ltd is still taking on board customer feedback from the Chieftain. There are a few improvements in the mix but these will need further development and costed prior to being used or discarded on future models. I will keep everyone fully informed as and when I get the info. Took the liberty of passing those links and the fact you supplied them to Andrew who said “ my thanks, much appreciated “ .

Last edited by tankman; 05-14-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:57 AM
Zabretooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being Australian, I would be pretty keen to get one. Its good to see the hobby expand out of the big three. I'd be interested to see how they design the cloth mantlet or just forgo it completely
Old 05-14-2020, 08:18 AM
tankman

That is one of the things Haya ltd is looking into, he is fully aware that the cover for the mantle was a standard fitting on most in service Centurions and that the vast majority of museum display tanks do not seem to have them fitted. His thoughts are to supply a suitably coloured piece of cloth or similar material so that owners can fit there own if desired. It has been pointed out that the supplied material should be thin, flexible and waterproof but be able to take a layer of paint if the modeller wishes to add one. It’s been suggested he should look for something similar to the material Hooben supply with there T55 mantelet cover.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:32 PM
afv aficionado

Hi Tankman
Thanks for passing that data to Andrew.
Re the Mantlet cover, I recall seeing a couple of variations when doing my Cent research.
Definitely when the RMG is fitted, the cover is different from standard, incorporates a zip for the mantlet mounted searchlight too.

Mal
Old 05-14-2020, 10:19 PM
Danblee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal preference would be a Mk.5/2. AFV Club released this in 1:35 scale as Kit No. AF 35122. Haya could then offer 3D printed parts like they do for the Chieftain to convert it to different versions or specific end user modifications, Israeli, Swedish or South African for example.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 AM
tankman

Thank you for your input Mal, I will pass this on to Andrew. He has stated that Haya ltd is looking from a business point of view for a model that will appeal to as large a market as possible, but he wants it to be a quality model not a mass produced generic model of this iconic tank.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:01 AM
Longsheep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amusing Hobby has just announced a new Mk.5 in 1/35.

Looking at the track record and CAD, I would say it is even better than the AFV Club. If the 3D work hasn't started yet, perhaps you can take it for reference? Releasing in August.
The following users liked this post:
tankman (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 01:52 AM
tankman

Sorry for the late reply lost my password and had to reset. Thank you for the info on the new release Longsheep I will pass that on to Andrew. Haya is still in the early development stages due to the present virus issue slowing things down significantly the last few months. Andrew is hopeful things can progress at a quicker pace once things improve and he and his team can meet Up in reality rather than in a virtual environment.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:28 AM
fuchstraumer

Registered here specifically to say - please tell Andrew that including bearings on the road wheels would be so massively beneficial. Or at least allowing for this upgrade to occur. As is, I love love love my Chieftain but I often hesitate to drive it because I don't want to wear the road wheels down. And if I do drive it, I feel practically obligated to take most of the road wheels off so I can re-grease them and make sure they're not wearing down.

I'm absolutely waiting with bated breath for further chassis by Andrew/Haya, but I really hope we see bearings (or even POM bushings! just something!) in future models. Given how many other excellent small Quality-of-Life features there are in the Chieftain (the drivers hatch switch, the springloaded idlers, the easy-open hull, the external hatches) it seems silly to me that bearings or bushings just didn't happen in the road wheels.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:41 AM
tankman

Thanks for that and Fuchstraumer, I have passed on your comments and observations to Andrew. He’s still very much in the design and development stage at present but things are still progressing despite the current situation. Road wheel bearings are definitely high on his wish list as well. I will keep everyone on here updated as and when I get any further information.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:29 AM
fuchstraumer

Originally Posted by tankman
Thanks for that and Fuchstraumer, I have passed on your comments and observations to Andrew. He’s still very much in the design and development stage at present but things are still progressing despite the current situation. Road wheel bearings are definitely high on his wish list as well. I will keep everyone on here updated as and when I get any further information.
that's great to hear! like I said, even if bearings can't happen things like POM (polyoxymethylene) bushing or bearings might be a good choice too. they're a little lower maintenance and a little cheaper i believe, while still providing benefits over just plastic-on-plastic contact. Walterson's is using them on their T-72 for many of the reasons I've already enumerated, apparently.

one other thing - has there ever been any consideration to seeing if y'all could get more appropriate sounds on the electronics used? While the 6.0 electronics (and especially Haya's choice of controller) give great drivability, it always does strike me as silly to hear T-90 or Leo 2 sounds come from the Chieftain (and eventually Centurion), even if the sounds are high quality. as the Haya lineup expands though, maybe you could find a way to package your own set of four sounds? Chieftain/Centurion/some other model/yet another model? Always been curious about that. Seems like it'd be pricey, but at the same time the sounds seem like they're stored generically in some part of the overall board assembly (so I hope), rather than packaged on-die in the controller MCU itself. some part of me has wanted to investigate if there's any way to reflash the memory onboard somehow, for this reason.

regardless, i do appreciate the openness to feedback and the willingness to take on suggestions from the community. i work in AAA gaming for a franchise that is constantly drowned in feedback, much of which we try to act on, but also understand that for those outside the industry (and in this case, I'm the industry outsider) it's far too easy to conjure up wishlist items that just aren't feasible for various engineering reasons. sometimes though, it's just fun to dream

Old 08-07-2020, 01:12 PM
tankman

Andrew is on the case with a sound package for the Centurion as he wants that model to sound right. As you say he has to look at production costs very carefully and sound packages can come expensive for small scale producers. Most of the electronics firms Andrew deals with want orders by the the thousands. Andrew is not a mainstream producer so gets penalised for small volume production runs from suppliers. However he tells me he has a few irons in the fire re a sound package with correct Centurion engine sound. Once again an ongoing project in this Models development. I will keep everyone updated as and when I get more info.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:43 AM
tankman

Hi Fuchstraumer, bit of possibly good news for you. Having spoke to Andrew the other day he has confirmed that he has asked his design team to look at adding ball bearings to all the roadwheels and idler wheels, as well as gearbox output shaft support bearings to support and stop drive sprocket wobble and reduce undue wear and tear on the gearboxes and drive train. There is also a requirement for idler adjustment in the mix as well. A sound-set for the Centurion is being investigated as we speak.
Unfortunately due to the current situation development of the Centurion has been knocked back a few months, add to that the worldwide financial climate at present and you can appreciate why Haya ltd is proceeding slowly and cautiously at present. However Andrew asked me to pass on his thanks for your input and interest in the Centurion project. He is happy to listen to past present and future customer feedback and input and will if practical and cost effective try and incorporate these ideas into his present and any future models.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Longsheep

Andrew is on the case with a sound package for the Centurion as he wants that model to sound right. As you say he has to look at production costs very carefully and sound packages can come expensive for small scale producers. Most of the electronics firms Andrew deals with want orders by the the thousands. Andrew is not a mainstream producer so gets penalised for small volume production runs from suppliers. However he tells me he has a few irons in the fire re a sound package with correct Centurion engine sound. Once again an ongoing project in this Models development. I will keep everyone updated as and when I get more info.
The Centurion sound has so far been only done by Clark. I made the initial order several years ago when Chris released his Centurion kit.

It was however not 100% correct as part of the engine sound (some video sources provided by me) was actually without the muffler fitted. It sounds deeper with the whole setup. If the Centurion from Haya sells ok, Carson may also ask WH to make a WH16S board for it, which he has already done so for Chieftain. The sound is excellent with dual 15W amp output and overall operation is very robust, similar to Tamiya but with up to 7CH.

Hi Fuchstraumer, bit of possibly good news for you. Having spoke to Andrew the other day he has confirmed that he has asked his design team to look at adding ball bearings to all the roadwheels and idler wheels, as well as gearbox output shaft support bearings to support and stop drive sprocket wobble and reduce undue wear and tear on the gearboxes and drive train. There is also a requirement for idler adjustment in the mix as well. A sound-set for the Centurion is being investigated as we speak.
In addition to the bearings, the road wheels can definitely gain from having rubber tires. The HL T-34 rubber tires have similar diameter to the Centurion - which is what Chris used on his 3D printed wheels.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:09 PM
afv aficionado

Hi Longsheep
Actually I was looking at my Centurion (Chris Ludwig kit) road wheels (51mm) yesterday. The're about 1mm larger than the Chief road wheels (50mm), the gap between the pairs is narrower than Chief too, but should not be too much of a problem, though the stalk behind the road wheels is shorter on Cent, so a spacer would be required. The bigger issue would be the axles - 2.5mm bolt on the Cent, about 3mm odd on Chief, though that may be fixable with bearings with greater ID, same OD. Didn't check the hubs though - Cent hubs are domed, Chief hubs pointed.

Mal

Chief - Upper, Cent - Lower

Cent Roadwheels - 51 mm

Chief Roadwheels with pointed hub insert, which can be pried out

Cent with rubber tyres left, Chief right, wider gap between wheels

Chief Horstmann bogie, plastic axle

Cent left 51 mm, Chief right 50 mm

Cent left, Chief right with greater spacing

Cent left, Chief right - back of roadwheels showing stalks, Chief lomger

Cent Horstmann Bogie, 2.5mm bolt forms axle, note bearings in roadwheel centres

Last edited by afv aficionado; 08-10-2020 at 02:26 AM. Reason: adding photos
Old 08-09-2020, 08:12 PM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Hi Longsheep
Actually I was looking at my Centurion (Chris Ludwig kit) road wheels (51mm) yesterday. The're about 1mm larger than the Chief road wheels (50mm), the gap between the pairs is narrower than Chief too, but should not be too much of a problem, though the stalk behind the road wheels is shorter on Cent, so a spacer would be required. The bigger issue would be the axles - 2.5mm bolt on the Cent, about 3mm odd on Chief, though that may be fixable with bearings with greater ID, same OD. Didn't check the hubs though - Cent hubs are domed, Chief hubs pointed.

Mal
Hi Mal,

Yes the Chris's roadwheels are larger than the real thing, also slightly thicker I believe. It does make the suspension slightly less movable although isn't a significant issue.

I would recommend Andrew to make the road wheels on this own, but with the rubber part reusing T-34 if that can keep the cost down. Although the standard ABS rim isn't a huge issue - those on my Chieftain has shown no damage after 2 afternoons running outdoors.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 AM
tankman

Thanks for the input gents, I will pass your thoughts and observations on to Andrew and get back to you as soon as I get any updates. This may take a while as Haya is now in the process of design consolidation in preparation of approaching his mould manufacturer. From what I have been told he is still in the process of getting a sound set made up ready to be incorporated into Haya’s tank electronics package.
Now please don’t ask me exactly what is happening as it’s still all very much in the R and D stages right now, all I know for sure is Andrew is very aware of increasing production costs but still wants to provide the best low production model he can for the market.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:33 AM
afv aficionado

Hi Tankman
Added some photo's to my wheel post above.
Also forgot to mention, would Andrew consider adding a UV LED to the loading shute for the BB gun? That way, by adding Glow BB's, you have tracer rounds.
Is the barrel smoke compatible with BB's or is it an either or proposition? I'd really like to see tracer round fired, then barrel smoke effect.

Mal
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Glow-in-the-dark Tracer rounds have been attempted before, with no success. If you can make it work, more power to you but so far no one has been able to get it right.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:58 AM
tankman

Hi Mal, an interesting proposal you have there. In theory the UV light would not be an issue in and of itself as I believe you have extra lighting options on the 6.3 version board used in Andrews models. So you could in possibly run one off the system to get your tracer rounds. The thing is I don’t believe you could do is have a barrel that smokes and fires BB,s. I will double check with Andrew and get back with a definite answer for you.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:50 AM
afv aficionado

Hi Tankman
Hadn't checked out the board options as yet, but that's good to know. I suspect the barrel smoke & BB is incompatible, but would be good to have that confirmed.

Hi Crius/Gary
Rather shocked at that comment. I actually have 3 different Glow in Dark BB systems for airsoft guns - two Tokyo Marui silencer types - both early chunky silencer & the later thin version that flash the Glow BB's as it leaves the barrel. Then the M16 magazine type with UV LED inside to induce glow before loading. The latter is less prone to damage, doesn't add length/weight to the weapon, downside is the length of time the round sits in the breach, before being fired can reduce the glow effect.
If you mean adapting it to tanks - you may have a point?.
If you had said the same thing about BB paint rounds, would have agreed wholeheartedly - they're bad news, if they break inside the weapon, you've got a tough clean up job. I found they tend to bounce off skin, only break on hard surfaces, so really a waste of time unlike .68 in paintballs - suspect the difference might be about the thickness of the paintball skin versus weight ratio

Mal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.