Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
 Don Muddiman Flying Machine >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

The Cobra was Bad A**. This guy was actually from where I grew up. I talked to him for awhile. He said it took him 2 yrs to do that. Also he used 21 Gallons of Bondo creating all the molds he made by hand and then he had to rent a local paint booth to shoot the thing, really nice guy...way too much work for me and I'm a scratch builder by heart. Grim Mere's Cub was awesome to, all stainless tubing for the whole structure, these guys take it to a whole new level.

Lom
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stumbled on this thread - Igot FM plans from a buddy of mine a couple years ago, built the fuse and thought is was too boxy and heavy, stashed it, but might reconsider now after following this thread. Iactually hot wired the wing from Pink foam and it's ready to sheet (turned out nice) . PS -originally thought a 46AXwould be the ticket since Ihad a spare - probably go with 3003's. Ididn't go with the cowl - just the firewall - looked kinda cool hanging out there by itself. One questions though - the plans Ihave don't show the main gear located on the AF - can anyone tell me where it should be mounted.
Thanks, I'll post some pic when Idig it out.
SnR
Old 04-02-2011, 04:04 PM

My plans measure 4.75" from the firewall face (motor mount side) to the Landing gear bolt centerline. I seen your from White Oak, Pa. Haa, what a small world, I grew up in that area (West Mifflin) for 25 yrs. before moving to Ohio
Get that F.M out and get busy.

Lom
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Believe me, this plane is worth finishing. Its a beast that will outfly a Hots any day. Its fast, fun, and takes a lot of abuse in the air. Don't let the looks fool you......

Welcome to the Thread!

Dave
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 PM

Yeah, after I made that post, there were actually two other things worth mentioning: the cessna, and the battleship. Its amazing, nothing short of amazing. That cessna made from tubing and sheet metal was a work of art. The detail was outstanding and so accurate that it makes me think I could never bring anything (even the stuff I am really proud of at the local feild) to a show like this. It really makes me want to attend a top-gun just to see the workmanship. Like you said, its a whole new level of detail that I just can't imagine. It kind of leaves me speechless......

Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Yea but it pushes me at least to do better each time. This is the one that got me second place in the Sport class in "09" Scratch built from RCM plans. It has just recently won 2 first places and 2 best of shows here locally. Every piece of graphic on here I hand cut (x2) including the pinstripes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50882.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1588054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71597.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1588055  
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Nice Work. How does that thing fly, or is it a hangar-queen? Lots of work in the covering so I couldn't blame you if it was.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Thanks. Hasn't seen fuel yet. Actually I'm trying to sell it to fund another project. It's been built for 5 yrs. and spent it's whole life on a set of saw horses under a cover. I get one halfway done and I see something else I want, so I always have 2-3 in process at once.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 PM

I do the same thing. I have a Ohio R/C Ultimate, all built but the fuse (while I decide on an engine), a Direct Connection F-20 tigershark that needs covering, and I will be starting a Mr. Mulligan (old Bud Nosen Kit) that will be started soon. I picked up a used Saito 1.80 about 2 weeks ago off of RCU thats going in a Howard "Pete". I just started that yesterday to make sure it ran OK. Always something to do!!!! My FM build will probably start around Mid-Summer. I just picked up the sheeting for the wings while I was in Toledo on Friday. It was also hard to find the 48" long spruce spars, most hobby shops only have the 36" length.

~D
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Man I love those Mr. Mulligans. That was the fist giant scale planes I seen at the first rc event I went to and never forgot them.Anything with a cabin I think is cool. Are ya going scale with it (functional doors ect.)? Those are hard to find. I'm always looking for those vintage kits.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
My Feedback: (162)

OK LOM and OVA your way off the subject of this thread. You need to move this to email between just you 2, your hijacking this thread for your personal conversation it seems. Not a nice thing to do, so please take this lil conversation some place else.

OK OVA so your gonna be a uncaring, low brow weenie about this. Guess I should have expected it.

Useless to talk to either one of you THREAD CRAPPERS. No class at all.

Vince
Old 04-03-2011, 01:36 PM

I am a bit concerned about the choice in stab material in the FM short kit. I was going over the needed stock for this kit and when looking at the parts it looks like the H-stab is pretty soft. Did anyone else see that in their short kits? I think I may have to make another. Not that its a big deal, but I think stock selection for a slab-type of surface is kind of critical. I was asking the guy at National Balsa about how they handle stock selection when ordering and they basically said they ship and assortment. So I guess I need to hand-pick at the local HS for these type of projects?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: vpresley

OK OVA so your gonna be a uncaring, low brow weenie about this. Guess I should have expected it.

Vince
Uh, sorry, but what did I say? So I can't ask questions about the FM short kit either? Exactly what meets your standards Mr. high-brow?

Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 03:09 PM
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: ovationdave

I am a bit concerned about the choice in stab material in the FM short kit. I was going over the needed stock for this kit and when looking at the parts it looks like the H-stab is pretty soft. Did anyone else see that in their short kits?

YES>>>YES>>>>YES>>>> All of the major flat stock in my short kit was VERY soft!!! Elevator/stab, and rudder pieces will have to be replaced with much harder stock!!

I thought I just a bad batch.....evidently not
Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I know I was thinking about using this cutter for another kit but I am wondering now after looking at the stock used for some parts. I don't want to pay for a short kit if I have to replace some of the stock anyway. Maybe it was a fluke, I don't want to bash the maker of the short kit, but it makes me wonder if they spend much time selecting or if its just kind of a "luck of the draw" thing when they are cutting parts (again, thats what I was referring to regarding ordering balsa from someone like National balsa, but its different when it comes pre-cut. I can't hand-pick each piece then, you know?) For a high-stress plane like the FM, this can be critical for stabs and such.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Oh, please forgive me "Mr. VP" sorry to ruffle your feathers....I'm not worthy.
Dave, I am scratch building my F.M. so I was able to pick all my wood and used a meduim to hard for the Rudder & Horizontal.
There were back on track now.

Lom
Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys!Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, but Im wondering... Is The Flying Machine ARFofficially a no-go?I am and dont think I will ever be a builder (just dont have the attention to detail and / or patience) but I would love to have one!</p>
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
My Feedback: (162)

Maybe Tweek will update this thread with some new information in the near future.

Vince
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Has anyone heard when Laser Works will be producing the Flying Machine again. I know Don was selling kits but I believe he said he wasn't interested in doing it anymore and was going to let Laser works produce and sell the flying machine again. Or is there another cutter that Don is letting produce kits?
Old 05-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd contact Eddie at Lazer Works, www.lazer-works.com , and ask him. That would be your quickest answer.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I tried to find the same info a few months ago.
Eddie suggested that I contact East RC.
East RC has not responded to my inquiries about a laser short kit for the flying machine.

A quick thank you to Don for an amazing flying plane, my first Flying machine was scratch built, and my second scratch built on will sport a .60nx up front.. .

Old 05-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have retired my Lazer-Works, Don Mudimann short kit Flying Machine after about a dozen flights. Good plane but just to many projects in the works. It could be had for a good home somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv63065.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	1611817   Click image for larger version

Name:	zu65421.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	649.8 KB
ID:	1611818  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Dude, I love this plane, and your plane looks like a "Fine" candidate to add to my hangar....please PM me....
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Sorry Dude...beat you to it. I have a pending deal with airbusdrvr.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 AM
My Feedback: (33)

NT I am thinking of selling my Fm. I will post some Picts if you are interested.
Ed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.