Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 08:11 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom ling
thanks mate for the info, at least I know it’s as powerful if not slightly more :-) I think Morris at MmM ran a scale 21x10 3 blade so I would of thought it should be ok? But not sure like you say what the
load would be like on the engine. Not worth the risk if it’s too much, I thought you just lowered an inch to go up a prop blade?
It might be worth a try. I don't have any experience using a 3 blade on my Saito. I did try a 19x10 four blade and my engine overheated within one minute. I monitor cylinder temps in flight and the redline is 300 F.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by radfordc
It might be worth a try. I don't have any experience using a 3 blade on my Saito. I did try a 19x10 four blade and my engine overheated within one minute. I monitor cylinder temps in flight and the redline is 300 F.
oww not good. i will have telemetry set up, so I will see what it’s like, but in one minute that’s not good is it 😱
Old 08-02-2020, 08:28 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock 60 R3 turns a 21x10x3 at 5400+ RPM on the ground. I don't have telemetry so I don't know how much it spools up in the air.

I only have a few flights on this prop and am still dialing in the tune, but so far I don't think it is overheating in flight. Temp checks are difficult because of the cowl -- cannot see the top of the cylinders... The engine is of course baffled...
The following users liked this post:
Tom ling (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Tom ling

Originally Posted by GalenB
My stock 60 R3 turns a 21x10x3 at 5400+ RPM on the ground. I don't have telemetry so I don't know how much it spools up in the air.

I only have a few flights on this prop and am still dialing in the tune, but so far I don't think it is overheating in flight. Temp checks are difficult because of the cowl -- cannot see the top of the cylinders... The engine is of course baffled...
thanks for the info mate, sounds good, I presume it might be slower in level flight with the lower Rpm? But I bet the vertical is impressive.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:00 AM
Inver Ted

Hey Tom,

I can make the FG60 mods for you. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,

Rob
Tom ling (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 02:21 AM
Kaban0ssi

Hello

I bought this engine new with intake mod and mmm ring. Got it broken in at the stand and time for the first flight...

The engine cut off right after take off. I suspect the carb was too lean with the main needle 2 turns open from closed. Some damage to the wing but it is fixed now.

I just tried starting it again and no success. I thought the ignition battery (2cell lipo) was empty but the charger showed 8,4v right after starting so i guess it's full.

How tight is the tolerance for air leaks with this negative pressure engine? The prop was gone and some damage to exhaust ring was taken but engine suffered no damage... I think.

Thanks

EDIT: I found the problem! The throttle lever had come loose from the throttle barrel, resulting 3/4 throttle being the new idle and everything below is a no-go.
So, what did atleast I learn from this? Remember to check those 2 set screws on the throttle lever for tightness from time to time!

Last edited by Kaban0ssi; 08-03-2020 at 04:24 AM.
Tom ling (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 06:03 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom ling
Hi guys, I am looking at buying the Fg-60, I will take the 55cc out of my acrowot XL and put it in the front to run it in, in the air. The agm55 is turning a 21x10 at about 6200 on the floor, I understand the FG-60 will turn a 22x10 at 6000 ish, is this what you find in the real world? (it will have the MMM timing ring and intake mod fitted)
could anyone please let me know what size props and rpm people are getting. I would like to fit a carbon beila 21x10 3 blade on to get the nice low idle and in visible carbon it just looks cool too. But I’m wondering if there will be a noticeable drop in performance over the 22x10 prop. Iv never flown with a 3 blade prop before. Thanks Tom.
Unless you like fiddling with engines this is a lot of money to spend on an engine that will be temperamental at best. This is a converted glow motor, (with short comings) I would suggest researching a dedicated radial gas engine with the proper lubrication planned and clyinder design from the beginning.
Sparky
Old 08-03-2020, 06:10 AM
elmshoot

I have had my Hellcat hibernating for about 10 months since last flight. Other than inspecting the fuel lines check spark plugs and valve lash. Anything else? I ordered a carb kit and when it arrived I discovered all the parts that are rubber on a Walbro carb are some sort of G-10 material that likely wont deteriorate like the Walbro's rubber parts do. I don't see any reason to overhaul the card until conditions warrant.
Sparky
Old 08-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Tom ling

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Unless you like fiddling with engines this is a lot of money to spend on an engine that will be temperamental at best. This is a converted glow motor, (with short comings) I would suggest researching a dedicated radial gas engine with the proper lubrication planned and clyinder design from the beginning.
Sparky
hi mate thanks for the reply, Iv had the 84 and the 33. Both were superb engines. once the 33 was modded it ran perfectly is there something with the 60 that is different? Thanks Tom.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:00 PM
radfordc

Sparky
I guess you have a lot of experience running the FG60R3? Sorry you've had problems. I love mine and it is the least problematic motor I own. Runs like a Swiss watch.
Tom ling (08-04-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:22 AM
elmshoot

You asked the question and didn't mention that you have other Saito radials so you sound like you are familiar with the issues. I was trying to point out that the identified issues might be more than most (first timers) are willing to undertake to get a $1000 engine to run satisfactorily.
The fiddling at the beginning was the part that I'm referring to and the additional $300-500 extra to fix issues that likely will be problems. There is no guarantee these won't self destruct in short order from identified short coming in the engines design.
Mine has run flawlessly as well but I also spend more time making sure that every thing is perfect than any other engine I've owned. I also have to run a Oil mix in the plane that 20:1 so I have to have separate supplies of fuel.
Sparky
Old 08-05-2020, 05:38 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

You asked the question and didn't mention that you have other Saito radials so you sound like you are familiar with the issues. I was trying to point out that the identified issues might be more than most (first timers) are willing to undertake to get a $1000 engine to run satisfactorily.
The fiddling at the beginning was the part that I'm referring to and the additional $300-500 extra to fix issues that likely will be problems. There is no guarantee these won't self destruct in short order from identified short coming in the engines design.
Mine has run flawlessly as well but I also spend more time making sure that every thing is perfect than any other engine I've owned. I also have to run a Oil mix in the plane that 20:1 so I have to have separate supplies of fuel.
Sparky
All this makes me wonder what the actual failure rate is for this series of engines.
Does anyone actually know ?
We have several if these engines of various sizes and generations flying weekly with mine at our field. Other than bearings we have seen NO problems with these motors, gas or glo.
Any one sporting anything other than opinion here, been watching this unfold for years.
Lots of claims....
Old 10-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Turbine guy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone opened up the through pipe inside the plenum facing #1 intake pipe?

since #1 is starving for fuel due to gravity, some compensation can be had by drilling a hole that faces #1 intake tube-

Vacuum pulse from #1 should be more effective in getting more of fuel charge with this opening ,instead of all charges getting dispersed onto the wall on the back of the plenum.

trial and error re:hole size , but any size should be an improvement in giving more to #1 and less leftover in plenum for #2/3 to run fat on..
Old 12-19-2020, 05:33 AM
stukno

I looked over this thread extensively before parting with a wad of cash about twelve months ago. I bought an R60 and went along the route of the MMM ignition timing mod and intake mod. For the benefit of those who might follow this has been my experience so far:-

I ran it in largely in the air on a model where it was uncowled and totally exposed. The only problem that I have encountered has been that it was difficult to get the first start of the day, after that it always started well.

I have now formed the habit of starting to fill the tank with the tank vent still sealed. I give my hand pump six or eight turns and then open the vent and continue until the tank is full. When the engine was uncowled, these six to eight turns would result in fuel seen to be dripping out of the carb mouth.

Hand flip the prop with the ignition off a few times to ensure no hydraulic lock and to distribute the fuel. Ignition on and it usually starts first flip of the prop. I leave it at a fast idle for a minute to warm up after which it throttles well.

Never has an engine cut unintentionally

I have just installed the engine in a TF Thunderbolt kit built airframe. Tight fit in the cowl. Has baffles fitted. It has been run just to check the instal but flight tests will have to wait until Easter time when it warms up but I am looking forward to the day.

So far my experience has been good and I'm very happy with the Saito 60R3
regards to all

Stu K

Old 12-19-2020, 06:06 AM
elmshoot

Due to CV-19 I haven't been out flying my Hellcat this year. I too have never had this engine quit except after I landed and wanted to shut down.
Sparky
Old 12-19-2020, 02:01 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by stukno

I have just installed the engine in a TF Thunderbolt kit built airframe. Tight fit in the cowl. Has baffles fitted. It has been run just to check the instal but flight tests will have to wait until Easter time when it warms up but I am looking forward to the day.

So far my experience has been good and I'm very happy with the Saito 60R3
regards to all

Stu K
What does your P-47 weigh? Mine was about 22 lbs with the Saito and performed just "OK". Not really the power needed. Remember the 60 four stroke provides about the same power as a 45 two stroke. In my 20 lb Bearcat it does great!
Old 12-19-2020, 07:31 PM
elmshoot

Originally Posted by radfordc
What does your P-47 weigh? Mine was about 22 lbs with the Saito and performed just "OK". Not really the power needed. Remember the 60 four stroke provides about the same power as a 45 two stroke. In my 20 lb Bearcat it does great!
This discussion is about a gasoline fueled 3 cylinder 60CC Saito radial engine. Your comment appears to be referring to a different engine configuration. If not please explain....
Sparky
Old 12-19-2020, 07:51 PM
radfordc

This discussion is about a gasoline fueled 3 cylinder 60CC Saito radial engine. Your comment appears to be referring to a different engine configuration. If not please explain....
Sparky
I'm referring to the Saito FG-60R3 four stroke gas engine. I have been flying mine for several years....first in a kit built TF P-47 then in the Legends Bearcat. The engine performs best in planes under 20 lbs. A friend of mine recently tried using one in a TF P-47 ARF Razorback. After one flight he removed the engine and put it in a Bearcat. Just didn't have the performance he wanted.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:54 PM
radfordc

Great performance in the under 20 lb Bearcat....

Old 12-20-2020, 12:55 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a video of the TF Giant Corsair at 24.5lbs with the FG60R3, it fly's and performs very well with that engine. I have the same set up with my TF Corsair and I'm very happy with the performance of the engine.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:13 PM
radfordc

Your plane flys nice. About like my TF P-47 with the Saito.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:04 AM
nswords

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it in a TF FW190 and it flys well,not quite as fast as a 55 cc gas but the sound make up for it.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:45 PM
PCT
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by ForcesR
This is a video of the TF Giant Corsair at 24.5lbs with the FG60R3, it fly's and performs very well with that engine. I have the same set up with my TF Corsair and I'm very happy with the performance of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DBYSPudloQ
Is your FG60R3 modified in any way?
Old 12-23-2020, 01:23 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PCT
Is your FG60R3 modified in any way?
My FG60R3 is totally stock except for the Keleo exhaust ring.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:20 AM
CH Ignitions
My Feedback: (11)

Default 30 BTDC Prop Drives

Hello everyone , for a year and so I had those prop drives made and never lested on the site.I sold them on call based orders.
We have the prop drives that are designed to solve ALL the timing inssues. The Over Timed issue and between the Cylinders in all series FG19-FG33_FG60 and FG84/90. The FG73 is just over timed. The timing between cylinders is correct..
You can find all on the CH Site.
https://ch-ignitions.com/product-cat...drive-upgrade/

Thank you
Adrian
Eulboyington (04-18-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.