Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Instant Throttle Response

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Instant Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Instant Throttle Response

All of my turbines are Jetcat and they are older ones. I have a plane where I need a throttle response that is virtually instant. Do any of the current Jetcat turbines have an extremely fast throttle response?

I would really like to stay with Jetcat but if I must, I am open to switching in order to get the response I need. Not really considering Jet Central or Kingtech but info on others would be useful. I tried out an Evojet 220 at Kentucky Jets and it had a very impressive throttle response.

This will be a replacement for an original Titan (excruciatingly slow response!) in my AD Scorpion.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:20 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You are leaving a lot of reliability, response, and performance on the table by not considering Kingtech, MY 210 comes on like a freight train, and very quickly, My K-170 is also extremely fast on spool up,, If you are off idle they are both just a couple seconds till wide open. You state you want instant throttle response, If you mean you want to floor the left stick and have a turbine that goes to WOT instantly, that's not going to happen, its just a matter of how long it takes to spool up and get flying again.. I also have a Merlin 160, It too spools very fast.
Personally, I would say if you put a K-160 in that scorpion, it would be a beast,,

As far as jetcats Go, I have had a p-70, p-80, p120, and a p120sx,, none of those turbines spooled up even remotely close to what I have now, The p-70 and 120 took FOREVER,, however, none of mine were the newest models either,

Last edited by raron455; 07-20-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Steve Collins

"You state you want instant throttle response, If you mean you want to floor the left stick and have a turbine that goes to WOT instantly, that's not going to happen, its just a matter of how long it takes to spool up and get flying again.."

Yes, I am well aware of that.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

My Jetcats are quick. There are menu items that allow you to adjust the Throttle response from idle and the throttle response from essentially mid-throttle. I actually have the idle response set to Very Fast and the mid throttle response set to normal. The mid throttle response comes on a little too quick in the fast setting, at least for me.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:46 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

To date my AMT's spool faster than anything else I've owned or seen. However, if your jetcats are older I would feel confident saying almost anything today including jet cat will spool faster. I have an old P70 and I can go for a coffee while I wait for it to spool up.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is another way of improving midrange throttle response/ sensitivity....use the throttle curve function in your radio and elevate the midpoints on the curve so you create a more linear feel with thrust. This very much improved the feel on the low end and midrange of the throttle on an old 120 I have in an f18 which is often where the turbine feels laggy.

just a thought that does not cost a cent. ....give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, I am flying the 220 Jet Cat RXIB and its very fast on acceleration. The new brushless pump makes a big difference. The starter is also brushless and turns the shaft by magnetic drive. The magnetic drive also allows the starter to become a generator to charge the ecu battery and the flight packs. I never have flown the evojet so I can not compare. I have owned\ran ever other jet cat and the 220 is a big step above past engines. I also agree with Craig, that putting a throttle curve in the radio is a big help.

Last edited by Jetkopter; 07-22-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetkopter
Steve, I am flying the 220 Jet Cat RXIB and its very fast on acceleration. The new brushless pump makes a big difference. The starter is also brushless and turns the shaft by magnetic drive. The magnetic drive also allows the starter to become a generator to charge the ecu battery and the flight packs. I never have flown the evojet so I can not compare. I have owned\ran ever other jet cat and the 220 is a big step above past engines. I also agree with Craig, that putting a throttle curve in the radio is a big help.
Regarding the pump, being brushless or brushed, does not have anything to do with engine acceleration.
maximum acceleration speed is defined by the engine's mechanics, not the pump delivering fuel.
Brushes pumps can accel really fast too, its the ECU thats holding them back and spooling slowly - on purpose, in order not to exceed the top engine acceleration speed and cause a stall / fire.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Jetkopter

So your saying that because a brushless pump is faster to respond to commands of the ecu and your able to better control an over shoot of rpm that it makes no difference in the ability to spool? While I agree that the mechanical design has a lot to do with how fast and engine can ramp up the limiting factor in a JetCat ECU is temps, so if the pump has nothing to do with it must be a better design of the compressor, combustion chamber , and EGV because the new 220 runs it butt off and to me the acceleration is greatly improved over early generation JetCats and that's what OP wanted to know.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats correct, the 220 (and other engines in its class for that matter) is just a newer design.
it could elegedly accelerate faster with a brushed pump too.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Steve Collins

Been doing a lot of research on engines since the first post. I found a video on Youtube of a guy playing with the throttle on his Jets Munt Merlin M140XBL. The throttle response was impressive and just what I am looking for. So, this engine is likely the replacement for the old JC Titan in my AD Scorpion. Has both the pump and starter brushless motors.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:27 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Behotec JB220. It's so small, yet so powerful & fast throttle response, although I have not compared it to other 220's. Here it is next to a Jetcentral Mammoth
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2174200  
Old 07-24-2016, 07:26 AM
finewayne

you can adjust it with the throttle curve function

Old 07-24-2016, 09:10 AM
JustJets
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Jetkopter,

Did you pick the P220 from Dreamworks? How long were you on their order list for this if Dreamworks? Thanks in advance.

Phil
Old 07-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Jetkopter

Phil, pm sent
Old 07-25-2016, 06:01 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I call on the BS flag.....ECU nor Pump makes the spool up faster, it is just an "illusion". Bottom line is engine design. How is it done? by having a turbine design that can dissipate the energy boost created in the combustor faster, more efficiently. And because our engines are single stage, a compressor that is capable of feeding fresh air into the combustor at the same rate.

I do tend to believe that our hobby engines are not "designed" for performance, but rather simplicity to keep them affordable. Someone with CAD knowledge rough drafts a turbine, machines it, test it, then tweaks it here and there to make performance improvements (which is perfectly allowable for our hobby use). And this practice seems to be dominated by KingTech lately. Whatever they are doing, they are doing good.

David
Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
You are leaving a lot of reliability, response, and performance on the table by not considering Kingtech, MY 210 comes on like a freight train, and very quickly, My K-170 is also extremely fast on spool up,, If you are off idle they are both just a couple seconds till wide open. You state you want instant throttle response, If you mean you want to floor the left stick and have a turbine that goes to WOT instantly, that's not going to happen, its just a matter of how long it takes to spool up and get flying again.. I also have a Merlin 160, It too spools very fast.
Personally, I would say if you put a K-160 in that scorpion, it would be a beast,,

As far as jetcats Go, I have had a p-70, p-80, p120, and a p120sx,, none of those turbines spooled up even remotely close to what I have now, The p-70 and 120 took FOREVER,, however, none of mine were the newest models either,
+1, I fly mostly EDF...

My KT 140 with diesel was nearly or just as fast as a big fan with medium heli spool... I couldn't tell the difference.

Slow spool was one of my pet peeves about turbines and diesel with the KT-140 took care of that