Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF REBEL 2m

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF REBEL 2m

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 06:49 AM
jamessymons

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Everybody

Well I think I am in a place where I kind of have decided what is going in the Rebel. Please have a look and let me know what you think, or if you spot any problems. Please note these diagrams are concepts only and don't show every connection or if the fuel filters are in the right direction etc.

Kind Regards

James
Old 06-14-2020, 09:53 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

IMO, festo filters are junk, and if that uat has one of those metal filters, or any kind of filter, that's all I'd run, as the turbine itself has a 'final' filter built in and it's not difficult to change. The less fuel connections and gadgets you can have, the better - KISS.
Additionally, a 100N turbine is the bare minimum on power, lethargic, even. My friend flew one with a 100. Took it ot after the maiden and ordered a 140. I recommend the same, or at least a 120. Mine's getting a 170 - better to have the power and not need it than need it and not have it.
And those servos are pretty minimal on torque as well. I'd go 20kg minimum everywhere, preferably 23kg+.

Last edited by bodywerks; 06-14-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:39 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

I think your servo for the ail/rud/elev are a little weak, the PowerBox GPS won’t work connected into the CTU (ExBus only) and the PB GPS is not ExBus....I would used the same battery for the Lights and the CTU retract.....motor seem weak for a 2m plane.......

I would also not ever used a Festo fuel filter...they all eventually leak....

From the UAT I would stay 6mm all the way to the filter, slip on a Festo 4mm tubing cut flush then slip the 6mm lock wire......should have a good filter after the pump to the engine......

Last edited by Dansy; 06-14-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:10 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Dansy
I think your servo for the ail/rud/elev are a little weak, the PowerBox GPS won’t work connected into the CTU (ExBus only) and the PB GPS is not ExBus....I would used the same battery for the Lights and the CTU retract.....motor seem weak for a 2m plane.......

I would also not ever used a Festo fuel filter...they all eventually leak....

From the UAT I would stay 6mm all the way to the filter, slip on a Festo 4mm tubing cut flush then slip the 6mm lock wire......should have a good filter after the pump to the engine......
what is your go-to filter for after the pump? I honestly don't run them anymore because I've had them leak more than once.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:03 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by bodywerks
what is your go-to filter for after the pump? I honestly don't run them anymore because I've had them leak more than once.
Intairco......run those on all my jets for a few years now....no leak ever on any of my fuel system..
Old 06-15-2020, 04:02 AM
jamessymons

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Guys

Firstly thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated. In all honesty, the servos and turbine size were also my areas of concern. Did not see the Festo thing coming though In terms of fuel filters I suppose you could always use the OEM filter that comes with the Turbine. Dansy, the reason I am showing the Powerbox GPSII connecting to the CTU is as far as I am aware, you can change the second exbus port on the CTU to servo or I am hoping jetibox/sensor. I know you cant change the first one. Worse case I can run it to the CB200. On the Powerbox GPSII, there is an option on the software to change the setting so that it emits the Jeti EX Telemetry signal.

James
Old 06-15-2020, 05:54 AM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Rebel lovers, yes, I made the maiden and first flights in my Pirotti Rebel with Merlín 160N, but I think not was a hard plane for 160N of power and I changed to M100 and not was enough, 120-140N is perfect.

in short I will have available in my website again kerosene Tanks for Rebel 2m in 3 and 4L (new molds) and a new versión 3L kero + 1L smoke, because in new Carf planes the wing nut is mounted into the wing and is necessary insert the screw from the fuselage and my Pirotti smoke tank not is suitable for Carf version.

Regards from Spain.
Carlos
CMJETS.com
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 07:02 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by jamessymons
Hi Guys

Firstly thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated. In all honesty, the servos and turbine size were also my areas of concern. Did not see the Festo thing coming though In terms of fuel filters I suppose you could always use the OEM filter that comes with the Turbine. Dansy, the reason I am showing the Powerbox GPSII connecting to the CTU is as far as I am aware, you can change the second exbus port on the CTU to servo or I am hoping jetibox/sensor. I know you cant change the first one. Worse case I can run it to the CB200. On the Powerbox GPSII, there is an option on the software to change the setting so that it emits the Jeti EX Telemetry signal.

James
I have several CTU the #2 Port has only ExBus, Servo and autothrottle.......

Also the JETI EX is simply Jeti telemetry, I have several the GPS II and some other PB telemetry deviceS and none of the them are ExBus, in some documentation (maybe because of translations) PB seem to think that their devices are working in ExBus but in they are not and cannot be ExBus since there’s no bin file for them, they do however work fine in normal telemetry.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 AM
bodywerks

Intairco......run those on all my jets for a few years now....no leak ever on any of my fuel system..
Are you talking about the one with the emulsified metal filter that looks like a micro UAT? I run their UATs pretty exclusively. Except Rebel Pro. Using CMjets AIO 6L tank with built in kevlar 300cc spherical UAT.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:14 AM
Dansy

Are you talking about the one with the emulsified metal filter that looks like a micro UAT? I run their UATs pretty exclusively. Except Rebel Pro. Using CMjets AIO 6L tank with built in kevlar 300cc spherical UAT.
I run these..they have a new design but accomplish the same...

The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (06-15-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

Just use the JetCat filter provided. All I and my customers have ever used. Only rule is second tightening 12 hours after first assemble, the fat O ring used to overcome the moulding ridge compresses over the first 12 hours, after that it’s good for years.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:36 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

That AeroPanda filter will not fit the 4mm line between the pump and turbine.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:38 PM
Desertlakesflying

Originally Posted by cmjets
Hi Rebel lovers, yes, I made the maiden and first flights in my Pirotti Rebel with Merlín 160N, but I think not was a hard plane for 160N of power and I changed to M100 and not was enough, 120-140N is perfect.

in short I will have available in my website again kerosene Tanks for Rebel 2m in 3 and 4L (new molds) and a new versión 3L kero + 1L smoke, because in new Carf planes the wing nut is mounted into the wing and is necessary insert the screw from the fuselage and my Pirotti smoke tank not is suitable for Carf version.

Regards from Spain.
Carlos
CMJETS.com
I still have a brand new Pirotti version for cheap if anyone needs it. $150.00 shipped in the US.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:41 PM
Desertlakesflying

I run these..they have a new design but accomplish the same...

Where do you find their stuff anymore?

Old 06-16-2020, 03:56 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
pretty much factory direct. Shipping isn't bad, and they have other must haves, like their UAT and ball valve mount.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Dansy

Australia.......good exchange rate and if you order for a complete planes or 2 shipping is pretty reasonable....or was not sure now..
Old 06-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Desertlakesflying

Website must be down then. Won't let me connect.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Dansy

Website must be down then. Won't let me connect.
Works for me it’s .net not a .com

https://www.intairco.net
Old 06-20-2020, 05:18 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Works for me it’s .net not a .com

https://www.intairco.net
I ordered direct, shipping was kinda high but I really like their products.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

After a mishap this weekend with my viper, I am considering a Rebel as a replacement jet and have a couple of questions. I am looking for a sturdy jet with decent ad forgiving flight characteristics that I can fly around my local field (which is fairly short and not exactly smooth). I have not interested in a boom or wood jet, but am looking for a composite that can serve as my daily flier. I know that it is similar to a T1 but any help would be greatly appreciated
1. I know it is lighter but is the Rebel as strong a a T1?
2. Is it Airex construction like the T1, or is it fiberglass?
3. Does it use live hinges?
4. Does it come with hardware like the linkages?
5. How is the Carf landing gear?
6. Does it come with wing bags?
7. Is it a forgiving flyer.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 06-21-2020, 03:23 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

I have Hot and Have flown the pirotti 2m rebel and its a great flyer.
I have to imagine the carf version is that much lighter and virtually all the work is pre-done and yes it has live hinges.
gentle flyer yes
good landing gear yes
wing bags yes
hardware yes

Last edited by Bob_B; 06-21-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:25 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
After a mishap this weekend with my viper, I am considering a Rebel as a replacement jet and have a couple of questions. I am looking for a sturdy jet with decent ad forgiving flight characteristics that I can fly around my local field (which is fairly short and not exactly smooth). I have not interested in a boom or wood jet, but am looking for a composite that can serve as my daily flier. I know that it is similar to a T1 but any help would be greatly appreciated
1. I know it is lighter but is the Rebel as strong a a T1? Aerodynamicly, absolutely. If "strong" means more weight(and it does, on the T1, by almost 6 pounds) it will just hit the ground harder and break anyway.
2. Is it Airex construction like the T1, or is it fiberglass? Yes to both. Airex still requires fiberglass. And it has carbon fiber where needed
3. Does it use live hinges? Yes
4. Does it come with hardware like the linkages? Yes
5. How is the Carf landing gear? They are JP gear and are good. Electron are better and Xicoy gear controller a good upgrade
6. Does it come with wing bags? Yes, silver plastic bubble type, but they get the job done
7. Is it a forgiving flyer. Moreso than the T-1
Thanks,
Tone
Answers underlined above. My buddy had one that's only 24lbs with a full uat and kingtech 160. A T-1 will be near 30lbs. It'll do 195mph, but slow down to a crawl. With a little crow, like 4-5mm, you will get AMPLE warning of an impending stall. It's truly a great jet.

Last edited by bodywerks; 06-21-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
I have Hot and Have flown the pirotti 2m rebel and its a great flyer.
I have to imagine the carf version is that much lighter and virtually all the work is pre-done and yes it has live hinges.
gentle flyer yes
good landing gear yes
wing bags yes
hardware yes
Answers underlined above. My buddy had one that's only 24lbs with a full uat and kingtech 160. A T-1 will be near 30lbs. It'll do 195mph, but slow down to a crawl. With a little crow, like 4-5mm, you will get AMPLE warning of an impending stall. It's truly a great jet.
Thank you guys for the answers to my questions. When I asked if it is as strong as a t1 I was referring to if it was capable of some yank and bank flying. I have seen some guys fly the hell out of the T1 and I was wondering if the Rebel is capable of the same type of maneuvers. Also, in the pics I saw on the website, it looks like the fuse is made of the standard fiberglass, not airex. I was wondering if the wings were the same fiberglass or airex.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 06-21-2020, 05:38 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
Thank you guys for the answers to my questions. When I asked if it is as strong as a t1 I was referring to if it was capable of some yank and bank flying. I have seen some guys fly the hell out of the T1 and I was wondering if the Rebel is capable of the same type of maneuvers. Also, in the pics I saw on the website, it looks like the fuse is made of the standard fiberglass, not airex. I was wondering if the wings were the same fiberglass or airex.
Thanks,
Tone
Well, I only just took delivery of my 2M Rebel and Rebel Pro, and looking at it closer, it might not be Airex, but I've been flying a severely overpowered Rebel HOT with an 85n turbine that is pushing the 200mph barrier. I fly high speed passes all the time, add well as upline and downline snaps, high speed KE, e.t.c. still looks like new. My buddy with the 2m Rebel powered by a KT 160 does high speed passes, rifle rolls, bank n yank, e.t.c. also looks like new. They are good airframes. And IMO, a better option than the T1. More forgiving, lighter, faster, and you can actually get one.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:27 PM
Desertlakesflying

The JP gear I got with mine in March have been outstanding and I wouldn't trade them out for anything. The brakes were pulling to one side, but a cheap Assan steering gyro I've had in a drawer for over a year fixed it. Stops straight as an arrow now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.