Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:32 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Keith I gave it a try and it did not work with just restrictors.. So it needs a small one way valve like a xicoy brake valve to do the unlocks on the mains. I am loosing my mind in my old age I guess.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:34 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Keith I gave it a try and it did not work with just restrictors.. So it needs a small one way valve like a xicoy brake valve to do the unlocks on the mains. I am loosing my mind in my old age I guess.
Yeah I tried both and it was working until I took the unlock piston apart, I cleaned it and added O ring lube and then it seemed to unlock with the V1 valve. Makes me wonder if the restrictor will work now?
Old 02-21-2020, 06:22 AM
gunradd

Progress is being made but I’ve had some life issues to deal with this week. But will be jumping back into gear now. Only have 2 and a half weeks to get her done. Markings are on the way and paint is here.

i started programming the smooth flight and getting the gear and brakes all working.

I will try and get the build portion done this weekend and move onto painting next week.

if you have a single version you will need to dremel some wood on the top rear fuselage mount. I will show factory and they might change that on future aircraft.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:09 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I discovered that is the only way to get the bifurcated pipe in place. Also, the factory seriously needs to include the rear support for the bifurcated pipe with future models.

I got the fuel cells installed and all the wiring run to the front section of the fuse. Also received the linear actuators from Fenderbean for the canopy and canopy lock. Now focused on the equipment trays and the best way to route all the wires and airlines to tidy up the front section.

My K-260 was delivered last week, but tried to installed the K-320 just to see if it would fit. IMO, the answer is NO. So, will be looking for another project for the K-320. Really looking forward to my first flight with the F-22.

Last edited by David Jackson; 02-21-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:05 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by David Jackson
Yeah, I discovered that is the only way to get the bifurcated pipe in place. Also, the factory seriously needs to include the rear support for the bifurcated pipe with future models.

I got the fuel cells installed and all the wiring run to the front section of the fuse. Also received the linear actuators from Fenderbean for the canopy and canopy lock. Now focused on the equipment trays and the best way to route all the wires and airlines to tidy up the front section.

My K-260 was delivered last week, but tried to installed the K-320 just to see if it would fit. IMO, the answer is NO. So, will be looking for another project for the K-320. Really looking forward to my first flight with the F-22.
Hi David, I think the best way to run wire and airlines is along the sides, both sides of the jet have a nice open are to route everything all the way to tail servos. If need any help on those actuators just give me a call, they work just like servos.
Plus im going to compile a list of recommendations on my build if you dont mind I will add the rear mounts for the pipe for the singles
Old 02-21-2020, 08:15 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Hi David, I think the best way to run wire and airlines is along the sides, both sides of the jet have a nice open are to route everything all the way to tail servos. If need any help on those actuators just give me a call, they work just like servos.
Plus im going to compile a list of recommendations on my build if you dont mind I will add the rear mounts for the pipe for the singles
Been talking to the factory this morning. The pipe supports for the rear should be on future single engine birds. Also they are going to redo those bulkheads that interfere with the pipes. So those will be both fixed on future aircraft.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:16 AM
David Jackson

Chris,
Just for clarification, you are connecting your Airpower AB rings to the T-One light control module?
Old 02-21-2020, 05:17 PM
gunradd

Originally Posted by David Jackson
Chris,
Just for clarification, you are connecting your Airpower AB rings to the T-One light control module?
yep. Works great.

the AB portion on the T1 light controller puts out what ever voltage you put in. The rest of the outputs are regulated.

a turbine ecu pack 3cell LIFE is what I’m using. Lights don’t get hot and burn bright

use 95mm light rings from AirPower.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:19 PM
David Jackson

Thanks for the info
Old 02-23-2020, 04:51 AM
gunradd

Finally got everything working. I love this AR receiver. No way I could get all this working without it. 26 channels and I used them all but one. The functioning missile racks kicked my but but got it all working. Hinging the gun door was also a good time. It started off a nice clean install then I just kept adding stuff.

next is fuel tanks and engine install today. After that paint will begin.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:50 PM
gunradd

90 % of the build is complete now. Engines went well. Now for the little panels that cover the servos and it’s paint time!

Old 02-24-2020, 06:04 AM
gunradd

Ok found a good cure to the rudder wobble. This will be fixed on future F22s.

for those of us with the wobble. I removed the rudder drive fitting and stuck it in a vise. Just a little squeeze and recheck. Did this until I got all the play out. I did both sides. It has no play now. The ball and T rides at the top of the drive fitting so it does not take much.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:18 PM
gunradd

Filling the fuselage joints 😭

so much fun

Old 02-24-2020, 04:00 PM
FenderBean

Kris, any kind of throw data from the factory or from prior jets?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:02 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

Kris are planning to have this flying at FL Jets?
Old 02-25-2020, 04:53 AM
gunradd

Kris, any kind of throw data from the factory or from prior jets?
I have flown it more then the factory so I would not go by what they say anyway .
For the ailerons you will want allot of throw. It does not have great aileron authority.

Elevators- You want about as much as you can get on them since you really cant go to far with the way they are set up. I will get some throws if needed on the one I am building. My first one needed up trim. Looking at this one it might have to do with the pipe angle. So with a twin it might not need up trim on a twin.

Rudders.... You do not want allot of throw. The rudders on a F22 have lots of roll coupling and you don't really need a bunch. It will take allot of flights to get the roll coupling dialed out of it.

Flaps I gave it as much as I could.

Thrust vectoring... I again gave it max throws. It is a big help with controlling the aircraft when slow. I never turn it off. On this one its not even on a switch and will be on all the time.

Will work on turning the rudders in with flaps down. I liked that on my old F18 because it helps bring the nose up. I will also add crow for landing since this also helps keep that nose high attitude.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:54 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Kris are planning to have this flying at FL Jets?
Yep!! She will be ready. I could have it ready to fly in about a day from where I am at with it. But I am going to try and have it painted and detailed before FLjets.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:06 AM
gunradd

Should have all the filling done tonight. Might be able to start painting the edges tonight. Painting the F22 is something that needs to be done backwards in a way. Since its all metallic paint you really don't want to tape on top of it. So the edges need to be painted first.

Edges get painted with Model Master spray cans Navy Aggressor Grey.
Main color is model master aluminum 4 parts to one part Graphite metallic.
Dark camo color is 4 parts graphite metallic to one part aluminum.

Next will be a can of 2K gloss clear coat.
Markings. Most are paint masks and the small stuff is dry transfer. All from Tailormade decals.
After that will be satin clear. You can adjust how far you spray this to get the about of flat you desire.
Weathering is last. I always weather after the clear so it changes when flying the aircraft. After I go a season with them the fuel I spill from fueling and the fuel that comes out of the vents does some authentic weathering with the oils I use when weathering.

Sean from StrictlyScale.Com Got me some new Pitot tubes to install. I will also be using his missiles. Along with remove before flight tags.

I have another guy I am looking forward to dealing with that has made a super detailed Aces II ejection seat for the raptor. Along with the scale parts that go into the missile bays like the breaker panels and such. Its a perfect spot to add detail that will draw attention when the aircraft is on the ground doing static display. Not sure if these parts will arrive before FL jets though.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 AM
Bob_B

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Yep!! She will be ready. I could have it ready to fly in about a day from where I am at with it. But I am going to try and have it painted and detailed before FLjets.
Sweet, Just booked a flt and hotel for Friday/Saturday
Old 02-25-2020, 08:26 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

How about mixing in elevons to help with aileron authority. I’ve done this a bunch on f-18’s. Shoot, when I installed my jeti in my bandit, I used them there too as a back up as I once lost an aileron servo in flight.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:17 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by ravill
How about mixing in elevons to help with aileron authority. I’ve done this a bunch on f-18’s. Shoot, when I installed my jeti in my bandit, I used them there too as a back up as I once lost an aileron servo in flight.
Yes I will mix tailerons in when flaps and slats are down. For normal flying I don't like tailerons because I like doing clean 4 point rolls and slow rolls and don't like tailerons when doing that because it corkscrews.

I do everything simple also. My flap switch will do slats flaps and activate tailerons. I don't like flipping a bunch of switches when flying. I also never use rates. My flap switch is also my flight condition switch.

Using the AR system so I don't mess with gyro gain. It controls the gyro gain all by itself . Simply turn it on and forget. I just have a switch to disable it need be. I did not like flying the plane without the gyro. It flew night and day difference with and without. So my 285mm CG is probably on the tail end of the CG range so don't stray aft of that.

Bob I look forward to seeing you! Glad your coming down.

On the ground she has lots of switches to play with though. The gun door has a switch. Lights have a switch. Bomb bay doors of course but the moving missile racks I have setup to move also on a separate switch so I don't accidently hit it in flight. I doubt a missile sticking out on an angle at speed will end up well. then canopy also. The moving pilot has his own small control board so I wont control him he is preprogrammed already. Both arms move and his head.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:27 PM
gunradd

Got the filling done. With this cool wet weather it took forever for the primer to dry.

i start painting by doing all the edges first. These are all done with navy aggressor grey.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:32 PM
FenderBean

Hey Kris what’s the little thin white plastic washers for? I assumed stabs but they are so thin they don’t do anything
Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 PM
gunradd

Hey Kris what’s the little thin white plastic washers for? I assumed stabs but they are so thin they don’t do anything
they are spacers for the stabs. With the new way they did the removable stabs probably no longer needed.

before they where needed for spacing. I had to even get 2 more to get it working right.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:53 PM
FenderBean

Okay thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.