Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:58 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Len I believe you have the same light controller we have just a newer version in a nice case. The one big thing I do see different though is the voltage input. The one we have will take a 3 cell LIFE battery that the engine runs on. Not sure if that one will.

I have helped a guy with a plugnplay trouble shoot his airsystem. I might be able to help you also. One thing you need to do is hook it all up to a receiver and radio. It will not work unless you do. This was the problem he was having. The factory tests the system before they ship it. The airsystem is pretty complicated on this bird but if you break it down system by system its not to bad. But like I said make sure you hook it up to a receiver and then try it.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kris, I’ve used the AirPower version of these controllers a couple of times in planes while they were available and I am familiar a little with them and I agree it all needs to be powered up. That’s where I was headed when I found this extra airline just hanging around. I traced it to the 4 controller air inputs and well that’s just never going to work. If there were any place to plug it in that would have been easy but its a lone wolf! When I get a few days strung together I will assemble the nose to the fuse and hook up the lights and see what works but so far nothing happens with the controller at all. The air system will have to be troubleshot first though as that will require complete disassembly of the fuselage and fuel system etc. to break it all down to see where the airline from the T on the loose airline actually goes. I think I will wait until we get the new rudder couplers as I prefer to have everything ready before committing my shop to the build. Possibly we may have a manual by then too, its very close according to what Dirk just said. If I get any info back from them, I will advise. Thanks,
Len
Old 05-13-2020, 06:10 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Len
Hi Kris, I’ve used the AirPower version of these controllers a couple of times in planes while they were available and I am familiar a little with them and I agree it all needs to be powered up. That’s where I was headed when I found this extra airline just hanging around. I traced it to the 4 controller air inputs and well that’s just never going to work. If there were any place to plug it in that would have been easy but its a lone wolf! When I get a few days strung together I will assemble the nose to the fuse and hook up the lights and see what works but so far nothing happens with the controller at all. The air system will have to be troubleshot first though as that will require complete disassembly of the fuselage and fuel system etc. to break it all down to see where the airline from the T on the loose airline actually goes. I think I will wait until we get the new rudder couplers as I prefer to have everything ready before committing my shop to the build. Possibly we may have a manual by then too, its very close according to what Dirk just said. If I get any info back from them, I will advise. Thanks,
Len
Might it be for the airtank? Did the plane come with an airtank? For a while they did not let airtanks ship for some dumb reason. Could go to a pressure gauge or fill valve also.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Len

Hi Kris, I never saw an air tank so that is a possibility...I never imagined a fully PnP plane would not have an air tank, and if so, that the owner would not be informed of that. I will check and advise. There is likely an air tank though as when I pump air into the actual fill valve in the engine management area under the hatch, the gauge rises and it holds air. I suppose it could be the gear acting as a reservoir though It does not fill as fast as it should were that the case. However; if that extra airline was for a tank I’d expect it to vent when I fill the installed air valve... seems a mystery at this point and without a complete disassembly I doubt there is an answer. I will take it all apart when I have a few free days in a row together and investigate.
Thanks again,
Len
Old 05-13-2020, 07:53 AM
Len

P.S. maybe we should take this to PM or email?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:26 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Len
P.S. maybe we should take this to PM or email?
Sent you a PM with my contact info.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:14 AM
gunradd

Ok guys if you are getting a plug n play its possible the air tanks might be removed. This is because the Chinese shipping wont let the plane ship with air tanks installed. So the air tanks will need to be separate. When they do a plug n play all the valves come sequenced and tested. System is ready to go it just might need air tanks installed.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Looping31

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys,
I’ve logged 10 flights with the Raptor and would like to share some good and some poor feedback from the field.
It’s a very good flying plane.
Take off is easy but the nose gear has to be as high as possible, with the wheel inflated at its maximum. I now have a setup at mid flaps, no slats and full vector thrust for takeoff.
High alpha is very reassuring.
Flight controls are crisp and precise.
Gunradd C of G is the good one.
Landing is a piece of cake.
But please be careful, I had an issue with the nose gear. When lowering the gear, it seems that the lower part with the wheel separated from the strut due to the pressure in the shock absorber (just before this flight I put much more pressure in the strut in order to have maximum height of the front gear to ease the take off).
Of course, when I landed on the grass, the remaining of the strut ripped off.
Second problem, I barely crashed my plane due to a bending out of shape of the left leading edge flap. A crack developed around the slat hinge. This area is far too flexible for a high-end RC fighter.
I’m now thinking about how to fix those problems.
Fly safe.
Arnaud

Old 06-23-2020, 04:34 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

May I ask why no slats? I do know you dont go past the gap seal on the slats but are you not using them for T/O or Landing?
Old 06-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Looping31

Originally Posted by FenderBean
May I ask why no slats? I do know you dont go past the gap seal on the slats but are you not using them for T/O or Landing?
I’m using slats for landing. But on take-off, this plane tends to jump off the ground when using slats because it put pressure at the front of the wing.

I’m also using slats (without flaps) during high alpha maneuvers. My left slat past below the gap seal in flight due to the flexibility of the lower wing skin around the slat hinge.
So we have to use slats only at very low speed or we have to reinforce around the hinge.
The following users liked this post:
LarsBraun (04-16-2021)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 AM
cycross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Looping31
I’m using slats for landing. But on take-off, this plane tends to jump off the ground when using slats because it put pressure at the front of the wing.

I’m also using slats (without flaps) during high alpha maneuvers. My left slat past below the gap seal in flight due to the flexibility of the lower wing skin around the slat hinge.
So we have to use slats only at very low speed or we have to reinforce around the hinge.
Hi, do you mean the slat (LE Flap actually) went further downwards under high alpha, or it went upwards towards the top of the wing instead?
Sounds like an area of concern.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:39 AM
Looping31

Originally Posted by cycross
Hi, do you mean the slat (LE Flap actually) went further downwards under high alpha, or it went upwards towards the top of the wing instead?
Sounds like an area of concern.
Hi,
It concerns the Leading Edge Flap, yes.
The left one went further downward in flight and passed below the gap seal and stuck, so inducing a left roll. I managed to counter the roll with the ailerons / tailerons and land asap.
Until a fix is done, I recommend to fly only at very low speed with leading edge flaps lowered and only at positive load factor.
Arnaud
Old 06-24-2020, 06:44 AM
Looping31

Old 06-24-2020, 07:00 AM
gunradd

I have the leading edge slats on a channel with my flaps. They all move together. I don't give the leading edge slats much throw. I have had problems in the past with them on different models so I don't push the limits on slats.

That being said I have not had a single issue with the slats. So maybe it was to much throw? I do know another guy with an F22 had his slats break also but he had a ton of throw and the gap seals went over the slat so they could not return to up.

For takeoff... No need to raise the nose strut. I use full elevator and thrust vectoring to get the nose up. Once it starts to rotate you relax it but keep a little positive stick on it still. She will takeoff nice and smooth. I would not mess with the nose strut. I do have allot more throw then T 1 calls out to use on the vectoring and elevators I believe. I have 3 inches up and down on the elevators measured from leading edge.
The following users liked this post:
jkeze (07-14-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 07:02 AM
gunradd

Here is video of takeoff. It comes up smooth but it does take practice to get it right.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:03 AM
gunradd

Arnaud Your F22 looks great in those pics. Well done.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:05 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm famous!

Old 07-10-2020, 04:31 AM
gunradd

Ok finally an update!

I got the new servi fittings from T1 for the rudders. They are tight!! I might even have to file it a little so it slides in nicer. This will fix the rudder flutter issue.

she is so tight the fitting goes on and stays on see pic. If you need these give dirk a call.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:38 AM
gunradd

Will be taking her out to fly in a few weeks. Cant wait!!
Old 07-14-2020, 03:35 AM
gunradd

Went ahead and got the throws and CG for everyone today. These are MY throws not factory recommended throws.

Leading edge .5 inch down. (do not go past this or you may have issues it does not need allot of throw)
Ailerons 1.5 inch up and 2 inch down measured from trailing edge
Flaps 2 inches down measured from trailing edge
Rudders 1.25 inches left and right
Landing rudder .75 inches out (both rudders move out like the real one. Its not needed just looks cool and helps hold the nose up)
Elevator 2 inches up and down measured at front LEADING EDGE
Zero point for elevator is about .25 inches leading edge down measured at leading edge. (up elevator command)
Thrust vectoring 2 inches up and down measured from tip on trailing edge

285mm back from leading edge

Controls...
I have my flaps and leading edge flaps on the same channel. This helps to keep things simple and also wont let you forget to raise the slats up. You cannot fly high speed with slats down.

I don't use any rates and fly it with these throws at all times. I leave thrust vectoring on at all times also. I use about 25% expo on rudder and elevator with only about 15% on the ailerons. This plane can be a little sluggish on the roll command but I like that since it helps with making it look scale. I do not have taileron mixed in but you can if you want.

Thrust vectoring is on all the time and I use full throws all the time. Its mixed with ailerons and elevator commands. Thrust vectoring helps allot with control at slower speeds and is a huge help on takeoff. The main gear on the F22 is pretty far back from the CG. This can make rotation harder. Thrust vectoring helps with this. Also you need to pull her up off the runway. Like and F18 the F22 if you dont pull her up she will just stay on the ground and go a million miles an hour. It takes a little practice but here is how I takeoff.

Line up with runway. Slowly advance throttle and keep nose lined up. Pull full elevator and thrust vectoring early in on the roll. When you see the nose begin to rotate ease pressure on the elevator but keep positive elevator on it. After off the ground hit gear then flaps not to long after. You can hit the flaps in the first turn but I prefer to be going straight when I do the flaps since its easy to spot an issue.

Rudders do have coupling like any twin rudder jet. you can dial that out in the radio if you want or just leave it alone. If you are going to be doing long 4 point rolls it might be best to dial that out some but its pilot preference.

I would only deploy the bomb doors at a slower speed.

High alpha is great on this plane. I drop the flaps and slats (on same switch) and she does great.

Landing... Well it lands very easy not sure what else to say. Aircraft has a huge wing area and lands and flies very light.

I am using the Advanced Radio System from Booma RC supplied by Pacific RC jets. This is a 26 channel receiver along with built in gyro. It can be sued with spektrum futaba Jeti and others. So that being said it gives me the option to have gyro on nose steering. This helps takeoffs and landings look cleaner and smoother but its not needed just a nice touch. I don't have any gyro rates since the AR system does the gyro gain automatically. I simply turn it on and go. I have flown the aircraft some with gyro off and I didn't like it and turned it right back on so cant give much feedback on flying with no gyro.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,
Thanks for the update on the control setup for the F-22. I need to contact Dirk for the new F-22 rudder servo fitting to get the rudder play issue resolved. Looking forward to getting the plane in the air in October.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:58 PM
FenderBean

I got mine yesterday, all looks good on tolerance I will keep an eye once im flying it to see anything develops. Now I just the opportunity to maiden the jet.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:11 PM
gunradd

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I got mine yesterday, all looks good on tolerance I will keep an eye once im flying it to see anything develops. Now I just the opportunity to maiden the jet.

im happy it fit yours also. Was worried it was a different size.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:27 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by gunradd
im happy it fit yours also. Was worried it was a different size.
yeah was worried as well, tolerances dont have to be off very much with this type of design. I mentioned it to Jeff but it would be a great idea to suggest to T-1 they use something like the stabs or a traditional style drive system in the future models they develop. These type of servo are not designed for this type of setup and the forces on the servo are much harder.
Just need to get this thing in the air, I havent flown anything but my small and large viper jets since my last KY jets which was a year ago.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:48 AM
gunradd

Ok the new rudder parts work perfect!! I put a little over 15 gallons through the F22 this weekend. Flew her hard on the last day and she is such a great flying aircraft! So happy with it now. So get those new rudder links installed and get these things in the air.

Here is some video of my second flight after the fix. I was still a little timid on this flight so its not my normal low stuff. Also his I pad ran out of battery half way through the flight. I am waiting for people to send me other videos also. After about 10 flights I was really tearing up the sky with her. Such a fun plane. It was real nice getting home from a weekend of a lot of flying and I just put the plane away with nothing to fix on her.

Moving the rudders out with flaps worked fine. I really didn't even notice it in flight. So its a cool effect to make it look scale by having them move out with flaps if you have a gyro that can do that.

Looks like RCU wont let me link the video... I will try and change it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.