Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

a6 intruder from the movie "flight of the intruder"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

a6 intruder from the movie "flight of the intruder"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 11:36 AM
Flite-Metal

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default USN Contributors

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Okay I will reach out to him, hes actually flown in one back in his Navy days.
I have been fortunate to receive tons of assistance from USN pilots and maintainers.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 01-16-2021, 12:37 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal
Thanks,

Yes, a B is identical except for 36" additional length of fuselage from wing forward. Everything else is the same. If its not asking too much...yes it would be great if both these were measured. Main and nose compression strut can be partially compressed/shortening the strut in museums due to leaks. I have an unassembled Trumpeter A6A 1:32 model with metal gear to use in calculation to mean out all measurements of a 1:1.

........................................................................................

The mains would be measured from the fuselage forward corner of the forward (smaller) gear door (see arrows). All measurements are to the strut axle.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
OK, I contacted my friend and we will meet at 9AM tomorrow morning at the museum and get the measurements you’re looking for. Any other dims you need let me know before tomorrow!

Old 01-16-2021, 12:55 PM
Flite-Metal

Default Castle

Originally Posted by Airforce7
OK, I contacted my friend and we will meet at 9AM tomorrow morning at the museum and get the measurements you’re looking for. Any other dims you need let me know before tomorrow!

Thanks!

Last time we drove from Houston to Sacramento to pick up OV-10 parts from CalFire we should have stopped at Castle. Running late we drove right on by both up and back. We had just a few miles to burn before dropping the Bronco front end off at the museum in Fort Worth.

The reason I need 1:1 measurements is this is Selby's and it appears to be just a wee bit tall. The gear he bought was sprung for the movie models... each weighed 50+. The naked movie fuselage (sans v./h. stabs) weighs 27#. That's close to 30# empty. Mike's fuselage weighs less than mine. We are at 6.6#...or 20% of the movie model. Mike's Matrix gear would not compress as much as the movie 6's because of his extensive use of carbon fiber.

Below the fuse is sitting on foam to relieve strut compression; yet the tires are still touching the table. There's not much difference between these pics.

Ed

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-16-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:10 PM
Flite-Metal

Default Missing A6B???

Originally Posted by Airforce7

Looking at 2021 Sat image indicated the 6 was not on the property as it flew over... Is your friend sure its still there? The C130 is not on the property either.

Ed

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-16-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:45 AM
Airforce7

Default Gear Dims

Ed,

So the jet was there as shown in the sat image. We got the dims, but the main dimension will be ball park as half the gear door was closed and the ground was a bit uneven. Here they are:

Nose gear
45” +0/-1”
Wheel diameter ~18”

Main gear
66.5” +1/-1”
Wheel diameter ~33”

Last edited by Airforce7; 01-17-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Formatting
The following users liked this post:
ChrisPetersen (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:45 PM
Flite-Metal

.........................GREAT !

They sleeved the nose strut so it would not collapse....The way its sitting also means the mains were at their proper height!
Yahoooooo ;^) The brake detail is good. Most of the other images of that area are taken too far away to see this detail.
Is that a clear plastic intake shield to keep birds out? Also the fuse side shows the two standoffs for the intake...something I
have never seen before. Most pics are taken too far away at that angle to see the standoffs.

Thanks!

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-17-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

IIRC, the mains are at their "RTF" position. When the planes were unloaded and defueled, the mains were an inch or two longer due to the missing weight of the weapons and fuel. If the drops are full(300 gallons), they are roughly 2400lbs while the weapons units are between 750 and 1000 each, the normal loadout being two drops(as shown on the plane pictured) with weapon units on the centerline and outboard wing stations. The plane pictured(160435) was originally an ICAP configured aircraft(I know this because my squadron had 160609, received new from Grumman in the same configuration) that has been upgraded to a later configuration as the ICAP had a radome on the belly a foot or so in front of the blade antenna that housed a Doppler Radar antenna. The engine covers are to prevent birds and "critters" from getting into the engines while the rectangle red cover on the leading edge of the right wing covers one of three air intakes(the other two, round intakes, are on the fuse sides above the engine exhausts) used to keep the weapon system's electronics cool. I'd love to tell you more but some of the tech used in the Prowler is still in use and is still classified. Just had a thought. If you are looking at doing a KA-6D "tanker" version, they didn't use the standard drop tanks shown on the Prowler. They used a larger 500 gallon tank on all 5 hard points.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-17-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:33 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
IIRC, the mains are at their "RTF" position. When the planes were unloaded and defueled, the mains were an inch or two longer due to the missing weight of the weapons and fuel. If the drops are full, they are roughly 2400lbs while the weapons units are between 750 and 1000 each, the normal loadout being two drops(as shown on the plane pictured) with weapon units on the centerline and outboard wing stations. The plane pictured(160435) was originally an ICAP configured aircraft(I know this because my squadron had 160609, received new from Grumman in the same configuration) that has been upgraded to a later configuration as the ICAP had a radome on the belly a foot or so in front of the blade antenna that housed a Doppler Radar antenna. The engine covers are to prevent birds and "critters" from getting into the engines while the rectangle red cover on the leading edge of the right wing covers one of three air intakes(the other two, round intakes, are on the fuse sides above the engine exhausts) used to keep the weapon system's electronics cool. I'd love to tell you more but some of the tech used in the Prowler is still in use and is still classified.
I taught all the Prowlers were retired, I had the pleasure of doing Air Refuelling to them, a few times....
Old 01-17-2021, 04:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

As far as I know, all of the variants of the A-6(the Prowler being one) have been retired. In fact, there was a video showing one of the last flights of a Whidbey Island based Prowler, AJ 503,assigned to VAQ-134(161884) ending at Seattle's Boeing Field, the location of the Museum of Fight, where the Prowler will be displayed. A couple of things that you can see on the video is that the ground crew, after the Prowler was stopped initially, installed the safety pins on the mains to prevent them from collapsing and opened the forward main landing gear doors. Also shown, before shutting down the left engine, a 5 gallon bucket was placed under the engine to catch fuel that was dumped out of the engine before being burned. This was repeated after the plane was parked, under the right engine:
The F-18 has taken over the roles filled by the A-6, A-7, EA-6B and F-14. Also, AFAIK, there are presently up to SIX variations of the F-18 in Navy and Marine squadrons.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:36 PM
Flite-Metal

Default A6A, A6E, EA6A, and KA-6D

Just had a thought. If you are looking at doing a KA-6D "tanker" version, they didn't use the standard drop tanks shown on the Prowler. They used a larger 500 gallon tank on all 5 hard points.
Hydro,

We are offering the A6A, A6E, EA6A, and KA-6D. These are 1:5.5. Glad AF7 made the run to Castle. From the stance it would appear this is going to probably be the one I use. Have another three measurements to compare to shortly. USN pilots and maintainers have been a great help. I have the drogue "basket", faux hose, and reel for the 6D. Not going there until its flown for a couple of months.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-17-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

You're doing an "Electric Intruder"? I've seen a few of them at NAS Whidbey Island after they had been relegated to a Marine reserve squadron, the Seahawks. Don't forget to add the "chin up bars" on the front of the outboard wing stations as I've seen models of the "A" that, incorrectly, didn't have them. Other errors made are people tend to add the "coffee can" on the back of the pod at the top of the vertical stabilizer and forget about the "dog tooth" located at the front of the refueling probe at the base on some aircraft, but not all. The "coffee can" wasn't included until the "B" came on line as it was used as part of a system that was not on the "A" and phased out with the introduction of the ICAP, the second version of the "B". You can tell an XCAP from an ICAP by the presence of the "chin up bars", which were only used on the "A" and the XCAP version of the "B"
ea-6a electric intruder - Google Search

I have to make a clarification about the "dog tooth" and "coffee can". The "coffee can" wasn't seen on the "A", though the "dog tooth" was on some of the later planes. Both features were seen on the "B" for it's whole service life and on all versions, though the electronics inside the fuse weren't. In fact, when the electronics were removed, the boxes were replaced by steel plates an inch thick to account for the weight of the boxes in the balancing of the plane. They were a real pain during an inspection because we had to remove them for access into part of the fuse as well as to check the shock mounts they were fastened to

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-17-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Flite-Metal

Doing the EA6A with the first releases. The B "may" be done if the others are well received.:

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-17-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Extend that bottom panel line across the center panel on the tail top pod. That panel was removeable(held on by flat head machine screws) on the left side of the pod. The panel on the right side, IIRC, was flat head riveted in place. The round cover protruding from the rear was what I(and everyone that worked avionics on the Prowler) referred to as the "coffee can". It wouldn't be on the "A". Something else to be aware of is that round "dowel" on the end of the big blade antennas under the nose and on the back of the fuse weren't on the "A" or the first three versions of the "B". In fact, there wasn't a blade antenna under the nose of the A-6 other than maybe that tiny blade due to the short nose. The later A-6E TRAM had the ball sensor under the nose that also precluded the mounting of the big blade antenna.
BTW, I just went back and looked at the picture of the A-6 model posted earlier. Love the VA-128 markings on it but what isn't correct is that the forward main gear doors should be closed at that point instead of opened. The forward door on the mains cycled in a much similar way to that of the wheel covers on the P-51 Mustang, closed until the gear was moving, opened to allow the gear to swing up/down and then closed again. The doors were only opened on the ground to facilitate maintenance and, being hydraulic, they had to be opened with either an engine running or when hooked up to a "mule"(auxiliary ground hydraulic pump used for maintenance and testing).
Old 01-17-2021, 07:54 PM
Airforce7

Default More Photos

Ed,

No problem getting the gear dimensions for you. Sounds like they meet your expectations. It was great to get out there and do that and see all the aircraft on display. It’s been a while since I’ve walked the museum grounds.

My friend tells me all the aircraft on display there have some sort of special history, which is why they get sent there. Unfortunately they aren’t well protected (hanger). Volunteers do their best to keep the planes in good shape throughout the year for the public. The F-100 he’s working on has been completely painted orange so it should probably be put on display sometime this year.

Here are some other photos I took during my visit. Good luck with your project and let me know if you need anything else.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gotta love that B-58 though, unfortunately, it's missing it's engines
What surprised me is that some of the intakes and exhausts on that Prowler are uncovered. Seems like, with a display airplane that's sitting out side, they would want to cover everything that leads inside.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:04 AM
Hydro Junkie

Flight-Metal, I'm going to throw another variant at you on the Prowler. At the 2:30 mark on the video, Prowler 503 is shown headed to a catapult. If you look closely at the centerline hardpoint, you will see the weapon pod is different. I don't remember the exact size and shape but I do know it's very different from the ones mounted on the wings. That particular unit was almost never carried on a wing station as it was draggier than the standard shaped one. Something you can't see is that, on the left side below the two finned areas on the sides of the pod, roughly half way down are square access hatches that are held on by four camlocks. The hatches are roughly 6" square and are shaped to blend into the surface. Can't tell you any more about that unit because it's still classified

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-18-2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:39 AM
Flite-Metal

You guys will enjoy this...welcome to my fueling drogue...

Old 01-18-2021, 06:52 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

That birds capabilities will likely never be declassified. Keep pressing ahead with the 6E and for the love of all mankind please make an ordnance package for this beast. Wall to wall Mk82s. Sexy AF
invertmast (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:00 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
That birds capabilities will likely never be declassified. Keep pressing ahead with the 6E and for the love of all mankind please make an ordnance package for this beast. Wall to wall Mk82s. Sexy AF
Do you really want to have to fabricate FIVE MERs and 30 MK82s? Yes, the Intruder could carry 5 multiple ejection racks with 6 500lb bombs each. In practice, it carried two 300 gallon drop tanks on the inboard racks and three MERs or one drop on the centerline and four MERs on the wing racks
yeahbaby (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:58 AM
Flite-Metal

I have .stl files to print the individual parts that are spring loaded with nothing more than a ball point pen spring.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-18-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal

I have .stl files to print the individual parts that are spring loaded with nothing more than a ball point pen spring.

You last picture shows a TER or Triple Ejection Rack, normally used with 1000 lb bombs
Old 01-18-2021, 12:45 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you really want to have to fabricate FIVE MERs and 30 MK82s? Yes, the Intruder could carry 5 multiple ejection racks with 6 500lb bombs each. In practice, it carried two 300 gallon drop tanks on the inboard racks and three MERs or one drop on the centerline and four MERs on the wing racks
sure why not, yes that’s not a normal load out but sexy is in the eye of the beholder. Alpha Mike Fox ...best line in the whole movie..aside from Cole Virgil Cole.

ultimately, A plane this big needs crap hanging off the wings.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:00 AM
Flite-Metal

I left this one out. Yes, they will be airbrushed a variegated tan. The "hose" is a natural charcoal grey
Old 01-19-2021, 09:48 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
sure why not, yes that’s not a normal load out but sexy is in the eye of the beholder. Alpha Mike Fox ...best line in the whole movie..aside from Cole Virgil Cole.

ultimately, A plane this big needs crap hanging off the wings.
LOL.. Cole Virgil Cole..

What a great movie that was!
Old 01-19-2021, 05:50 PM
Flite-Metal

W/Rails...The trick is to release in pairs on each wing or salvo.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-19-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.